Who puts a sandwich in the 'fridge?

Stormborn

Explorer
It seems to be a staple of TV and cartoons (just saw it on SciFi's Eureka!) but I have never done it myself nor come across it in real life. So, who does it? Not a sandwich you bought, not one you ate half of and put away for later, not something you made to take to lunch the next day. A Sandwich. On a plate. Made. In the Fridge.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Hehe. I saw Eureka and was wondering the same thing. I understand thought. It's like what, you felt like making a sandwich and then suddenly wasn't hungry anymore? Just weird.

I knew this wierd guy in college. One of his many oddities was an inordinate fondness for peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches. He went through this phase where he liked them cold, so he'd make several then put them in his fridge.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I did today. It wasn't lunch time yet, but I made a sandwich for myself to take to work. While I was at it, I made one for my mother. Mine went into a bag, hers went into the fridge.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've made a few that I refrigerated. Reasons included:

I was suddenly just tired of eating sandwiches at the time.

I got a better offer, like a phone call along the lines of "Hey- we're going out for steak- my treat!"

I realized I didn't have time to enjoy the sandwich.

Sudden emergency situation, either re: myself or someone else.

Leftover from a big stack of sandwiches made for a gathering.

Some sandwiches need refrigeration before eating to have the ingredients pull together properly.

James Heard

Explorer
I've done the "make a whole bunch of sandwiches at once" thing before and tossed them in the fridge. It's probably from when I have a lot of people over na dget into catering mode, doing prep work and all that, but sometimes I just feel like fixing food and do so. My brother laughs at me, because once he came over and I had something like six bowls filled with dips that I'd made one night and had gotten enormously tired of eating chips & veggies with quickly after.

Dannyalcatraz said:
I've made a few that I refrigerated. Reasons included:

I was suddenly just tired of eating sandwiches at the time.

I got a better offer, like a phone call along the lines of "Hey- we're going out for steak- my treat!"

I realized I didn't have time to enjoy the sandwich.

Sudden emergency situation, either re: myself or someone else.

Leftover from a big stack of sandwiches made for a gathering.

Some sandwiches need refrigeration before eating to have the ingredients pull together properly.

These are all really good reasons, but I think that every time I've seen this trope in a TV show (like Eureka), it's apparent that the character has every intention of eating the sandwich immediately or very nearly so. I guess the "emergency" could be the need for comic hilarity.

Stormborn

Explorer
Yeah, on TV its always a single sandwich on a single plate, not a whole bunch tha are left over from something else. The emergency thing I can see. What kind of sandwiches need to be refridgerated for their flavors "pull together" Danny (or others)?

Mycanid

First Post
I do. Frequently. Simply because tunafish sandwiches tastes better to me (as does Raisin Bran cereal drowned in milk) after they sit for a day or so in the fridge.

Edit: Oh yes - and I prefer cold food to hot. Japanese food especially is a fav of mine, although good hot miso soup is a treat, as is hot shiro plum wine! :D

Last edited:

Remove ads