• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who puts a sandwich in the 'fridge?

Stormborn

Explorer
It seems to be a staple of TV and cartoons (just saw it on SciFi's Eureka!) but I have never done it myself nor come across it in real life. So, who does it? Not a sandwich you bought, not one you ate half of and put away for later, not something you made to take to lunch the next day. A Sandwich. On a plate. Made. In the Fridge.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Hehe. I saw Eureka and was wondering the same thing. I understand thought. It's like what, you felt like making a sandwich and then suddenly wasn't hungry anymore? Just weird.

I knew this wierd guy in college. One of his many oddities was an inordinate fondness for peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches. He went through this phase where he liked them cold, so he'd make several then put them in his fridge.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I did today. It wasn't lunch time yet, but I made a sandwich for myself to take to work. While I was at it, I made one for my mother. Mine went into a bag, hers went into the fridge.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've made a few that I refrigerated. Reasons included:

I was suddenly just tired of eating sandwiches at the time.

I got a better offer, like a phone call along the lines of "Hey- we're going out for steak- my treat!"

I realized I didn't have time to enjoy the sandwich.

Sudden emergency situation, either re: myself or someone else.

Leftover from a big stack of sandwiches made for a gathering.

Some sandwiches need refrigeration before eating to have the ingredients pull together properly.

James Heard

Explorer
I've done the "make a whole bunch of sandwiches at once" thing before and tossed them in the fridge. It's probably from when I have a lot of people over na dget into catering mode, doing prep work and all that, but sometimes I just feel like fixing food and do so. My brother laughs at me, because once he came over and I had something like six bowls filled with dips that I'd made one night and had gotten enormously tired of eating chips & veggies with quickly after.

Dannyalcatraz said:
I've made a few that I refrigerated. Reasons included:

I was suddenly just tired of eating sandwiches at the time.

I got a better offer, like a phone call along the lines of "Hey- we're going out for steak- my treat!"

I realized I didn't have time to enjoy the sandwich.

Sudden emergency situation, either re: myself or someone else.

Leftover from a big stack of sandwiches made for a gathering.

Some sandwiches need refrigeration before eating to have the ingredients pull together properly.

These are all really good reasons, but I think that every time I've seen this trope in a TV show (like Eureka), it's apparent that the character has every intention of eating the sandwich immediately or very nearly so. I guess the "emergency" could be the need for comic hilarity.

Stormborn

Explorer
Yeah, on TV its always a single sandwich on a single plate, not a whole bunch tha are left over from something else. The emergency thing I can see. What kind of sandwiches need to be refridgerated for their flavors "pull together" Danny (or others)?

Mycanid

First Post
I do. Frequently. Simply because tunafish sandwiches tastes better to me (as does Raisin Bran cereal drowned in milk) after they sit for a day or so in the fridge.

Edit: Oh yes - and I prefer cold food to hot. Japanese food especially is a fav of mine, although good hot miso soup is a treat, as is hot shiro plum wine! :D

Last edited:

Remove ads