• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who rules the githzerai?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I know all about the githyanki (thanks, Dungeon issue #100!), but I just realized that I know very little about the racial offshoot founded by Zerthimon. Who rules them? Does he have any known plans for the race? And why did the githzerai pick Limbo to settle in?

Thanks for any ideas, canon or otherwise, that you can offer.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Zaerith Menyar Ag-Gith, the so-called 'Great Githzerai' or the githzerai 'Wizard-King'. He's the spiritual leader of the githzerai, but officially has no political power, with that being the responsibility of a council of generals. In truth, he controls those secular rulers like puppets, exerting a massive, if indirect, amount of control over his race, and he can be pretty brutal against perceived rivals and threats to his power. He seems to genuinely want what's best for his race, and he feels that he's the best to guide them, so its only when you become a perceived threat to his own influence do you find yourself in trouble.

In 2e terms, IIRC he was a 20/20 wizard/fighter with the abilities of an Anarch (Xaos shaper). He was CN at the time as well, as I recall.

Unlike Vlaakith, he doesn't devour the souls of powerful githyanki, but potential rivals he generally exiles from Shrakatlor, the Floating City, and the other githzerai citadels. Additionally, those githyanki who venerate Zerthimon directly are forced into exile, living in monasteries apart from the rest of their people.

While some 3e sources might suggest otherwise, the hard-core monastary dwelling monk githzerai are outside the mainstream of their race, but as such given githzerai insular, quasi-xenophobic nature, these self-exiled 'zerai are the ones that non-githzerai are most likely to encounter and interact with.

And the githzerai choose Limbo because the chaos in many ways represents true freedom. Their constant struggle against it, seeking to shape it and control it by inner control and willpower, is a thing to prove their self-sufficiency, their will to never become slaves again, etc. They're not fighting the raw Xaos of limbo because they're lawful and trying to impose order on it, hardly, they fight it to prove their own absolute freedom from exterior forces.

Last edited:

Paka

Explorer
They are gathered in Monasteries, right?

I'd want to go with the Overlord High Abbot, an old but living monk bad-ass, very much the ying to the Liche-Queen's yang, as he is not eternal, has power through is guile and his fists and must find a successor or decide to become undead in order to give his people a ruler as powerful at the Githyanki.

I dig.

And a fight between his kung-fu and the liche queen's magic would rock.

You probably already know this, but just in case... there's a brief blurb in DMG 3.5 in the Planes section on Limbo, describing a githzerai monastery. You could upgrade the leader of that monastery to the leader of the githzerai people -- this would be non-canonical, which may or may not concern you.

Per the DMG 3.5, the githzerai monk-leader teaches a special form of, uh, monkishness, and his followers are known as Zerth Cenobites. Which became a PrC in Planar Handbook (I think).

= = =

I wonder if the original AD&D Fiend Folio says anything about the githzerai ruler? Hmm...

Shemeska

Adventurer
The Grumpy Celt said:
What is your source on this?

The 'Planes of Chaos' box set when it talks about the githzerai cities such as Shrakatlor their military capitol, and the Floating City, their religious capitol, etc. Zaerith and his role in their society is detailed there.

Edit: Thank you to Monte for correcting me on the sourcing in lieu of me having my books out to check. :)

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
noncanon.. total BS/madeup stuff

conform or be exiled.

i'm guessing that means they rule as a collective.

even the guy at the top has a hard fast place in the society. he has structured rules he must follow and control and use and follow.

each has their place in the pyramid.

or you could go a different 3-D form if you want with the society structure. instead of a pyramid scheme. go geodome.

or even 4-D if you want to incorporate planar elements or godly powers... and add time.

they need this to survive on Limbo.

edit: this way you could reintroduce the Modron March. :lol:

Agent Oracle

First Post
"Didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an antonymous collective."
race_githzerai.jpg

"You're fooling yourself! We're living in a dictatorship! A self perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes..."
"Oh there you go, bringing class into it again."

Remove ads