• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who rules the githzerai?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Shemeska said:
I've always envisioned Zaerith as stressing his Anarch/Xaos shaping abilities more so than his arcane spellcasting. The guy can warp the landscape at will, Matrix style effects if you wanted to go with something comparable in style perhaps. He might evaporate the ground under your feet at the same time he turns the air around your head into solid rock, fun sort of things like that, at least so long as he's in Limbo.
A Matrix vibe does not make anything better, following the second two Matrix movies, especially since a cooler leader would still have access to all of that.

And I have no problem with Planescape cant, but I may sue the original person who coined "Xaos." :mad:

pawsplay

Hero
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
A Matrix vibe does not make anything better, following the second two Matrix movies, especially since a cooler leader would still have access to all of that.

And I have no problem with Planescape cant, but I may sue the original person who coined "Xaos." :mad:

Xaos is a fairly direct rendering of the Greek Chaos. It may be difficult to bring a suit against a Greek or Turk who's been dead for two thousand years.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
pawsplay said:
Xaos is a fairly direct rendering of the Greek Chaos. It may be difficult to bring a suit against a Greek or Turk who's been dead for two thousand years.
TSR had an impressive editorial reach if they had 2,000 year old Greeks writing for them.

Enkhidu

Explorer
The guys over at Planewalker.com came up with one possibility for how it all went down. You'll likely end up doing a lot of reading on that site, as there's a lot to slog through, but it's got some juicy stuff.

'Course who knows what really happened.

Ripzerai

Explorer
Zaerith Menyar Ag-Gith, the Great Githzerai, was first named and classed in the 1st edition Manual of the Planes. The Planes of Chaos version of him is pretty much identical.

The Floating City, the githzerai center of mysticism and magic, was originally from the 1e MotP as well. Shr'akt'lor, the githzerai center of war, was first mentioned in the Monstrous Compendium Outer Planes Appendix. Planes of Chaos was the first source to mention both of them, and define how they were different.

Ringan

Explorer
If you ever get the opportunity to play Planescape:Torment you can learn more about Githzerai as well.
[sblock]If Dak'kon is in your party and you converse with him/encounter other Giths.[/sblock]Zerthimon told Gith, "There cannot be two skies" shortly before their schism. I think that's a great mantra.

diaglo

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
Thanks, guys! This is tremendously useful. I'm hip-deep in an epic lvl githyanki/githzerai plot right now, so I appreciate the help.

Gith disappeared in Hell when she went to go talk to Tiamat, and her sacrifice (?) forged the connection between githyanki and red dragons. Any word on what happened to the original Zerthimon?
so are the silver swords made out of real silver dragons?

Remove ads