• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who rules the githzerai?

DungeonMaester

First Post
Really? I read in the MM 3.5 that the Spider queen of the Undark also ruled the Gith.
That entry made for great epic level camapain also.

Sorry for any typos in adavance.

---Rusty

Shemeska said:
The entry on the Githzerai in the 2e Planescape Monstrous Compendium (it's the same book where Vlaakith is named for the first time in the githyanki entry).

Vlaakith was first named in A Guide to the Astral Plane. She's not mentioned in PSMC except as the "lich-queen."

Zaerith Menyar Ag-Gith isn't named in there either. I'd guess it was Planes of Chaos where he is described (but I'm not 100% sure).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Can I say I'm disappointed in this? The gith get two spellcaster leaders. One eats souls, one doesn't. One pees standing up, one doesn't. Otherwise, essentially interchangeable.

Blah.

I would have loved to see something a lot more interesting for the Githzerai, like perhaps they're actually led by a powerful slaad in disguise who's intent on shattering their lawfulness into madness and chaos, but knows he has to work with great subtlety to avoid being caught in the act.

Or maybe they're actually being led by a devil, or someone in thrall to one.

Or maybe ... well, anything other than what they got.

Blah.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Monte At Home said:
Vlaakith was first named in A Guide to the Astral Plane. She's not mentioned in PSMC except as the "lich-queen."

Zaerith Menyar Ag-Gith isn't named in there either. I'd guess it was Planes of Chaos where he is described (but I'm not 100% sure).

I stand corrected. *grin*

And yeah, it was Planes of Chaos, not the PSMC. I don't have the books here, but that's the source listed on his entry in Planewalker's encyclopedia of the planes.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Can I say I'm disappointed in this? The gith get two spellcaster leaders. One eats souls, one doesn't.

I've always envisioned Zaerith as stressing his Anarch/Xaos shaping abilities more so than his arcane spellcasting. The guy can warp the landscape at will, Matrix style effects if you wanted to go with something comparable in style perhaps. He might evaporate the ground under your feet at the same time he turns the air around your head into solid rock, fun sort of things like that, at least so long as he's in Limbo.

johnnype

First Post
A bit off topic but does it annoy anyone else that the Githyanki have a -2 Wisdom modifier? Shouldn't it be -2 Intelligence? I ask because I always pictured them as better psychic warriors than psions but maybe that's just me.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Thanks, guys! This is tremendously useful. I'm hip-deep in an epic lvl githyanki/githzerai plot right now, so I appreciate the help.

Gith disappeared in Hell when she went to go talk to Tiamat, and her sacrifice (?) forged the connection between githyanki and red dragons. Any word on what happened to the original Zerthimon?

fusangite

First Post
I haven't used the Githzerai much in my games and have never had my players encounter their leadership structure but this is how I've assumed it works:

The Githzerai, as a chaotic yet monastic society function like an ascetic version of the Presbyterian Church. Each monastery functions as an independent Consistory in which those who have moved past the rank of novice function as a self-governing group totally independent of any jurisdiction beyond the walls of their monastery. Whenever a Consistory creates an exploratory force, sends diplomats, levies troops or sends out colonists, this new entity becomes a Consistory in its own right, fully independent of the monastery and self-governing. It can choose to carry out its mission, rejoin the monastery, join another monastery or set up a monastery of its own.

The Githzerai political order, while highly ordered functions like a kind of medieval syndicalism. From time to time, for reasons of trade, war or other large-scale collective issues it is necessary for the Githzerai consistories to form a consensual federation that temporarily delegates power in limited areas to a super-consistory comprising delegates from all the groups that choose to join it. Membership in these federations is voluntary and simultaneous, overlapping federations can exist dealing with different areas requiring coordination. There has been a long tradition of such a body that sets standards and procedures for advancing up the monastic hierarchy in the various monasteries but no more than about 60% are governed by the Zerahin Consistory and its First Abbot; smaller competing bodies exist but most of the remaining 40% of monasteries actually follow the First Abbot in most matters but are, due to local tradition or some social experiment in breach of one or more established tenets.

Although not core, I haven't found this system to be at variance with any core materials or assumptions.

Remove ads