• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who spends more money on the game? Players or DM's?

Emirikol

Adventurer
Just from your groups experiences over the years, who spends more money relevant to your campaigns? DM's or players?

It seems in our games that the DM outspends players about 5:1.

jh

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
For us it isn't that simple. I think I spend more or tend to then the other guys so it depends on if I'm DMing or a PC. Right now I'm a player and I know I've spent more then the DM but that's because he buys for the campaign and I buy gaming systems. I picked up 10 GURPS books in the past month even though we aren't playing it and that's not something our DM does.

Crothian seems to be "stealing" all my answers today!

I am DM'ing at the moment but I think that if I was playing I would still spend more than whoever was DM'ing. Only one player in the group actually owns a 3.5E PHB!

Having said that I think that I would buy more books when I DM than when I play because I am buying both DM-type books and Player-type books. If I was just playing I would obviously only buy Player-type books.

Olaf the Stout

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
hmm I (DM) spend far more than 2 of my players - including one who runs his own game, but am out spent in turn by more than 2:1 by the married couple that I game with.

rom90125

Banned
Banned
I am the lone DM in our group and I easily outspend the players 10:1. In fact, I can't remember the last time a player bought a resource for our campaign. I do have to admit, however, one of the players had a nice collection of books before I started the campaign and he has been extremely gracious in allowing the group (including me) the use of his books.

gunter uxbridge

First Post
As the DM for my group, I do, but it is by choice more than anything else. I just put aside the seven or eight hours of overtime I make each month and budget that into my gaming. If I don't have the OT, I don't spend it.

Henrix

Explorer
I'm generally the DM for two groups, and if we do not count one of the players who sometimes DMs, I spend more than the rest of them do together.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Me.

The DMs of the group tend to buy more than the non-DMs. That said, with Wizards excellent series of player-themed books (Complete books, Spell Compendium, etc), I've seen more purchases of D&D books in this edition than in previous editions by non-DMs.

Cheers!

pogre

Legend
Emirikol said:
Just from your groups experiences over the years, who spends more money relevant to your campaigns? DM's or players?

It seems in our games that the DM outspends players about 5:1.

jh

Relevant to my campaign? Me, the DM, of course. Gaming stuff in general? I have a couple of players who probably outspend me.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think,in the past two years, my players collectively may actually have out-spent me on our D&D game. But that is mostly because they chose to buy a number of books for me as holiday and birthday gifts. In terms of purchases for themselves, I pretty clearly spend more than they do.

Remove ads