• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who spends more money on the game? Players or DM's?

Nyaricus

First Post
I spend the most.

This was true back when I was a player, and is still true now that I am a DM.

However, my two best friends are into D&D as well, adn are both respectful, if not prolfic (like me :D), buyers of gaming books. One guy in into Iron Heoes, and has bought the bestiary and core rulebook, as well as the 3-book core D&D rulebook set, and the other is into mages, and has bought ComArc, SpellCom, and a couple 3rd-party magic-resource books, so they are slowly creeping up to my 50ish-strong 3rd edition set :D:p

JoeGKushner

First Post
Depends.

Any game I'm in? Me. as a player or GM. I like having a miniature to represent my character. I like having the books I need to build my character.

As a GM, I like having tact-tiles and flip matts (love the new city one, used it pretty heavily last week for the Shackled City), as well as various books to change and modify NPCs.

Ant

First Post
In both groups I'm in the DMs outspend the players by a (very) wide margin. In the second group, however, 4 of the 5 players also DM so this does tend to balance things out.

Of all the people I game with I probably spend the most on RPG stuff -- curse you WotC! Curse you and your gaming supplements and minis! :)

Most of my players have either no books or just the core books. One player is buying some Eberron stuff stuff now.

I outbuy at least 20-1

include miniatures-

50-1

Imruphel

First Post
DMs definitely.

Speaking personally, I only ever DM... and I am almost compulsive in terms of buying new stuff whether it's PDFs, books, maps, more maps, even more maps and miniatures. I don't think all of the players that I game with combined would spend as much money on D&D as I do.

Jarrod

First Post
DM, but correlated (not causation).

I spend a lot on miniatures, and I pick up books when they look interesting. One friends of mine picks up books. The others play.

I'm GMing a campaign, and the book friend is GMing a campaign. If we were players, we'd still be spending the money. We both like having new material, and we like things to be _ours_. The other gamers have other things to spend money on.

an_idol_mind

Explorer
One of the people in my group bought her books off of me after I upgraded to 3.5, and another person is my fiancée, who has the books by virtue of a present. So I definitely spend more as a DM than my players do.

Raven Crowking

First Post
I spend much, much more than any of my players. 10:1 easily on average. 5:1 easily for the most spendy of them all.

OTOH, they all chipped in for the WLD (admittedly, I made it mandatory if you were going to play; with a group of 10, that made it a small purchase per person). Those few times that I use a module, though, it's nice if the players didn't spend money on it. And I rather like the ability to surprise them with creatures from books they haven't read..... :D

Finally, though, I use house rules. Quite a few are of the "Steal/adapt from any source, so long as the rule is excellent/cool" sort, and I have had players point out cool alternatives that I hadn't seen yet, so the purchases they make are well worth it.

RC

Remove ads