Who wants to be a Wayfinder?

Bront

The man with the probe
I'm enjoying the playboy house noble idea. I'm debating between Rogue and Scout. Scout fits better in almost every way except the class skill list, not enough social skills on it for the character's taste. Trying to think about a good way to approach it (A Scout with the Rogue skill list would be nice, but that's a bit overkill I would think barring some other sacrifice.) Any ideas on potential fixes?

And weighing the Paladin/Cleric/Favored Soul vs the Shifter on the other side, and leaning a bit towards the shifter. I'll crunch things a bit and go from there.

Verbatim

Explorer
Here is the rough draft for Patruk Sivid, Necromancer and all around misunderstood guy. I will put it in spoiler to save space. Feel free to let me know if it stinks the place up..:)

[sblock] Professor Camis,

It has been told to me on numerous occasions that the path I walk will eventually lead me to my damnation, both by friends and teachers alike, but what they do not understand is that while others have a choice, mine has been made for me. I know that you and I have argued the concept of free will and destiny many times, but on the eve of my departing tomorrow, I had hoped to shed a little light through this letter on why it is that I have come to feel as I have. I do hope you will forgive me if I drift from time to time, but it is merely because I have not thought about my family for several years now.

My parents made a good living for our family breeding and selling horses, both natural as well as magebred stallions. While the coin they earned should have been enough to satisfy the pride that all men are born with, sadly it was not enough to appease them. They sought to further increase their station by molding their children, my older brother, my twin sisters, as well as myself, into the very picture of nobility, however minor it might be. To accomplish this goal, they sent away for the finest teachers in Aundair and let it be known that our upbringing was in their hands, as well as informing us that failure to excel was not an option.

Can you imagine being a child of eight years being shunned by your parents in the name of increasing your potential? I was not allowed to speak to them, save when Master Thrium wished to display the latest achievement I had reached, nor was I allowed to have extended contact with my siblings. It was as if I had no family, and it seemed I was the only one who noticed these facts.

My brother took to the art of the sword like a eagle takes to the air, and it was shortly after his fifteenth summer that my father released his tutor of his duties and sent Brius to be formally trained as an officer, as no son of Timoth Sivid would be a common foot soldier.

Dear sisters Rhea and Lauren were schooled in the arts of song and business respectively. Rhea’s voice was that of an angel’s, and while Lauren did not receive any of mother’s graceful looks, she was a master at all things involving the exchange of currency and the assignment of worth.

And what was the hope for me, young Patruk? I was to be a priest and bring the favor of the gods upon our land. Ironic isn’t it that one who has long since ceased in believing in a divine power was asked to pay homage to one?

When it became clear to my parents, through Master Thrium’s pleas not to release him from his duties, that I simply was incapable of achieving a state of enlightenment enough to embrace the glory of the gods, my parents were now faced with a dire predicament. What were they to do with me?

I was nearing my seventeenth summer, almost a man in their eyes, and suddenly I was at the brink of being useless resource. While the years spent with Master Thrium had given me knowledge in a broad variety of subjects, the man had truly never taught me anything of substance. So, while my parents were once again trying to determine my fate, I decided to do something rash to show them that I was truly more than a pawn in their grandiose chess game and attempted to ride my father’s prize stallion. It was a ride that literally killed me.

In the few seconds before Demonfyre’s hooves shattered my skull and brought my life to a premature end, I had never felt so alive. The contest between my will and the unbridled chaos of the stallion was unlike anything I had ever experienced. However, while I might have been having the time of my life, I was a stranger in Demonfyre’s eyes and had not earned the right to be upon his back. Although he nearly flipped himself in half to dislodge me, he tossed me aside like a child’s doll and even as I hit the ground, my fate was sealed. Lashing out in his frustration, the stallion’s hooves caught me as I was trying to get out of his way and in a blur of colors, my world turned to black.

I once had a nursemaid who spoke of the angels who guided the souls of the dead to their homes in the heavens. While I do not know where she had received her information, I know that I personally only remember two things from my experience with death. The chill that still lingers in my bones, and the first sluggish beat of my heart.

Timoth would never speak of the cost that he had to pay to have me returned, but the price must have been steep, as for the first time in as long as I could remember mother and father did not host their yearly ball. Mother tried to say it was because she was feeling under the weather, but I saw the lie for what it was and felt the accusing stares from the servants in the house.

Then the dreams began and with them, the sealing of my fate. I would see myself atop the cold marble dais in the family tomb, my head bandaged to hide the severity of my wounds, and although my family and their associates were grieving, I could feel my body calling to me, telling me that there was a power waiting to be unlocked, if only I could do it.

I withdrew into my chambers and began truly studying the books that Master Thrium had left behind after his release from duty. Mainly they were religious texts speaking on the theological aspects of life and death, but what I needed, what I craved, was the truth behind life’s greatest secret.

I am saddened to say that my zealous approach into this placed my parents in an even less desirable position than where they were before my death, and subsequent rebirth. The offers of marriage quickly disappeared when my “condition” was passed as gossip among the servants, and when my father asked if I would consider taking some time away from the family home to “find” myself again, I leapt at the chance to escape their velvet walled prison.

I am not sure what favors my father used to have my admittance to the University of Wynarn, nor do I truly care to be honest, but in my studies here I have come to realize that for every one question I can now answer, four more arise to take its place. I have also come to realize that while my studies do seem macabre, I do not wish to spend my life with corpses as my only companions.
I have agreed to “study abroad”, as my friends call it, with some of my fellow graduates. While they also do not truly understand what it is I seek, they at least are willing to see beyond the stigma attached to my studies and take me for who I am, not whom people fear I will become. Traveling will also give me a chance to explore how death is treated by the different cultures, and to see if my experience with returning from death’s embrace has been shared by others.

You must forgive me Professor, but the hour grows late and my candle has nearly burned its course. Before I end this, I wanted to say thank you for your patience over the years and for defending my eccentric ways to those who sought to send me away shortly after I arrived. I know it must have been difficult to defend someone who swore they could feel their blood itself flowing through their veins, but whether you ever believed me or not, it took strength to defend me. I will not forget that.

I wish you luck with your new students, and should the day come where I can ever assist you, send the summons and I will return.

Sincerely,

Patruk Sivid [/sblock]

Ferrix

Explorer
Teivel the human swashbuckler will be up tomorrow I guess... that's what happens when you read an entire book in the evening.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
I may try to adapt a character I submitted for Hanable's Hunters (he's on the alt list right now)...nah, I'll just make a new one! I'll be reading 5-Nations and explorers for inspiration. Background up later today.

Ozmar

First Post
Magellan

Warforged Explorer - Scout/Extreme Explorer

[Posting: I will post daily with the only known break at this time to be next week (Aug 13-20). I s'pose that might put a hitch in the game's start, but I hope you'll consider this character anyway. (I may actually be able to post during that week, but I don't know what internet access I'll have in the Dominican Republic...]

Magellan was created as an instrument of war. He was designed to be a stealthy scout, who would slip ahead of the battlelines to locate enemy weaknesses. He was created with exceptional perceptive skills and mobility. He served Aundair admirably in the last few years of the war, and then was abruptly released from service when the Treaty of Thronehold was signed.

Designed to be curious, he immediately took it upon himself to explore. He first began wandering in an expanding circle around his home base, mentally mapping all the lands he passed through, filling in the gaps in his knowledge from his military campaigns. As he traveled, he met various travelers and learned from them whatever he could. He gained necessary context to help him understand the world he was exploring, and it opened up his eyes to the vast treasure trove of experience that lies beyond the borders of Aundair. He came to realize that he would need direction to organize his explorations.

So he came to Fairhaven, and enrolled in the University of Wynarn. He had learned that the Wayfinder's reputation was the greatest explorers in Khorvaire, and he wanted to learn their methods. He was able to pay his tuition with the valuables he had collected in his wanderings, and by picking up odd jobs during his education. He impressed the wayfinders with his extensive knowledge of the local area, his patient attention to fine detail, and his unmatched, instinctive desire to know and experience everything.

He met other students and quickly befriended them. He always likes to talk and listen to others, to hear about their knowledge and experiences. He is excited to learn any new thing, and always eager to please others in order to learn more from them. He loves to go new places and see and do anything that he has never done before. He is (literally) tireless in his quest for new knowledge and experiences.

He adopted his name from the name of a famous explorer in Aundarian history. [Will change to another famous explorer if there is one noted in the Explorer's Handbook - IDTBIFOM]

Soon to graduate from the university, he knows that the world is full of dangers, and that the best chance he has to explore safely is in the company of like-minded friends, and so he has actively sought out any companions who would be eager to engage in long term explorations of the greater world.

Magellan is NG.

His time at the university: He spent the previous 3 years at the university. He studied everything he could, taking an overwhelming courseload, as he could study during the night and did not need to sleep or eat. He learned many languages, including a few ancient languages, and was particularly enamored by tales of ancient empires and Xen'Drik. As he has virutally no past of his own, and no racial past to speak of, he is fascinated by the ancient histories that stretch back for tens of thousands of years. (He has a very poor concept of time.) He is also intrigued by the suggestions of links between House Cannith's invention of the warforged and ancient Xen'Drik artifacts. He is not prejudiced against goblinoids or any other race, viewing the events of the world with a slighty detached demeanor, and an excited eye towards learning.

Ozmar the Warforged Wannabe

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Mista Collins, what's your feelings on the Spontanious Casting Cleric from UA? Just one of several thoughts going through my head. Debating between that (May go human with that build, but not sure, still leaning towards dragonmarked halfling), or the Human House noble (which is leaning towards rogue, though could go warlock, or rogue/warlock, or sorcerer, realy batting this one around.)

Ferrix

Explorer
Teivel ir’Torn
Human Swashbuckler 1

If you have any information for me on the ir'Torn family from Aundair, or perhaps another noble family from Aundair, that'd be most appreciated as I don't have the five nations book and took most of my information from what I could glean from the excerpt on the Eberron page, and in the campaign setting book.

Description
A dashing young man, Teivel has a mop of coppery-red hair which seems to have a life of its own, despite how often he gets it cut. With a sharp bone structure in his face, large green eyes and fair skin, he cuts a fine figure for the ladies in his finely tailored breeches and tunic, his cape swishing behind him.

Personality
Teivel ir’Torn has the wit about him, a sharp tongue, quite the manner for banter and a torrid fascination with hounding the attractive freshman at the Wynarn University. Always a play on the lips and a dashing smile, Teivel knows a bit of this, a bit of that, mostly because his parents forced it upon him to be raised proper. He had none of that in his youth, fed up they sent him to Wynarn to learn to channel his sharp knack for convincing others into the courts. Having slacked through his studies, joined the dueling club of which he promptly became the president in his second year, he prefers his unorthodox chain to the fanciful rapier. His studies complete, he would prefer not to go home and show his parents the lack of attention he gave to the money they spent on him.

Background

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
I added more info for Plonk, but I don't have Five Nations nor the Explorer's Handbook. Anybody there able to help me out?

Bront

The man with the probe
Ok, I think I may have the idea fully fleshed out now. How does a "wildchild" noble of house Denieth Paladin of Freedom sound? My only question/concern, is how strict are you with the Paladin code? Not that I intend on him doing evil acts or such, but he's probably a bit of a bragart, enjoys wine and women (In reasonable moderation), and is probably a bit arrogant, but a very noble and nice guy who stands for what he feels is right. Just want to make sure that's acceptable for the Paladin of Freedom (Some people are a bit stricter on the paladin code, while others are not). Also, if this is ok, any chance I could keep diplomacy as a class skill instead of getting Bluf (I'll take Bluff too if you're giving it out, but diplomacy fits more for the character, even if he's an odd bragart)

I could probably do the halfling as well, but with the halfling I'm more likely to stick with the Talentra Warrior feat at first level, and not the Dragonmark. (He could still be a noble of house Jorasco)

Remove ads