Who wants to be a Wayfinder?

Jarval

Explorer
Glaw
Warforged Ranger, Chaotic Good

Stats removed at DM request.

Description: Glaw stands six feet tall, his body covered by dull beaten metal. Beneath the armour plating that covers his body are sinews of wood, run through with veins of green and blue crystal. A ridged diamond shot through with crystal is marked on his forehead, an angular stylised drop of water.

He wears study dull green and brown traveller's clothes, and wide-brimmed brown felt hat. A bow and large axe are slung across his back, a quiver of arrows hangs from his belt, and a battered wooden shied is strapped to his right arm.

Personality: Glaw is a quiet soul, preferring to observe others than to get involved in the complexities of social interaction. He's usually terse when drawn into conversation, unless the topic turns to the natural world. Then he will expound at length on the habits of various creatures, the majesty of the forests, or the hazards of travel in the untamed wilds of Khorvaire.

Background: Pending, as I want to take another quick flick through the Eberron setting book...

Last edited:

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Tel Montayne
Half-elf Ranger 1

Description
A small but intense looking half-elf, Tel looks like a poor farm boy dressed up in nicer clothing than most farm boys ever see. He’s attractive and well-built, with a very honest face, but the intensity he carries himself with, some find off-putting. His dark coloration has drawn a number of women to him over the years, but none have been able to penetrate the defensives or emotions he wears on his sleeve.

Personality
Tel speaks with a strong accent that marks him immediately as a poor farmer of Aundair. This has caused a number of the richer students of Wynarn University to immediately mark him as ignorant, slow, and beneath them. This has caused Tel to develop a fairly defensive personality over the years. He’s loyal to those he sees as friends, and unstoppable to those he marks as enemies. He often lets his passions drive him.

Background
Tel was born to a fairly wealthy human farmer’s daughter during the last war. Tel’s mother always refused to ever speak of his father, and Tel’s grandfather, while furious that his only daughter gave birth to a bastard, allowed Tel to take the family name, and stay on until he was old enough to apprentice out to a tradesman in the near-by town of Stormhome. Tel was apprenticed to a blacksmith when he was very young, and while he missed his mother (and after a fashion, his gruff grandfather) Tel preferred smithy work to farming work. About the time he was eighteen, and destined for a life of Mediocrity, a mysterious and rich noble bought Tel’s contract with the Blacksmith and paid for Tel to move far south and attend Wynarn University. Tel’s northern agrarian accent made his stand out against the scions of Dragonmarked and Noble houses, making him something of an outsider. Tel wasn’t particularly good at his studies, though he did fairly well in courses detailing the histories of incursions from Kyber, and he had for the first time since he’d been a small boy occasion to work on the hunting skills he’d learned back on the farm. Upon his graduation, Tel received a used Chain Shirt from his mother and grandfather, and a double-bladed sword from his mysterious patron, crafted by the blacksmith who had once been his master.
Throughout school Tel has tried to determine the identity of his rich patron, and though he has never conclusively succeeded, he suspects it may be his long lost father, some wealthy noble from Stormhome who tracked him down, wanted to give him a good life, but wanted to keep him far away from his own business. Tel is just find with that. He’ll strike far away from Aundair, see where the world will take him. After he’s a famous explorer, they’ll give him a heroes welcome.

Tel won't ever be a typical Ranger. Really, I just want him to be an action hero. I'll pick from Rgr, Bbn, and Fighter classes until I can be an extreme explorer, and from there who knows...the subtle ideas in my history are that Tel's father is a Scion of house Lyrandar, and maybe one day Tel will manifest a Dragonmark (or Syberis mark?)

Last edited:

Ozmar

First Post
Bront said:
Cool, I'll try to have him up tonight. Got the stats and such done.

Ozmet, you're short 4 points on attributes.

? :\

Let's see here...

Abilities
[edit: stats removed. They are correct.]

Total: 36 points.

Did you raise it to 40 points? Cool! :cool:

Ozmar the Mathematician

Last edited:

Ozmar

First Post
ShaggySpellsword said:
Well, there is Lhazaar, the brave human that lead the expedition from Sarlona and discovered Khorvaire...and the goblinoids/orcs/dwarves already living here.

A more contemporary explorer, and my PC's hero, is Lord Boromar ir'Dayne, founder of the Wayfinders

PS. Tel, the half-elven farm-boy turned explorer will be up soon.

Hey, yeah! I like "Boromar". I think I'll change his name to that. Thanks!

Ozmar the Warforged They Call Boromar

Ozmar

First Post
The Party So Far

Apologies if I missed anyone, but I think we have so far...

Mista Collins: DM

Ozmar: Boromar - warforged scout
ShaggySpellsword: Tel Montayne - half-elf ranger
Jarval: Glaw - warforged ranger
jkason: Midian Rightson - human druid
Ferrix: Teivel ir'Torn - human swashbuckler
Verbatim: Patruk Sivid - human necromancer
Krug: Plonk - gnome arificer

Comments:
A scout and two rangers? Cool! We'll have tracking down for sure, since my character took the Track feat also. (It seemed to fit...)

jkason - Cool choice for an animal companion!

Boromar has probably spent some time with each of your characters. We may have shared classes, collaborated on research projects, played on sports teams (if that is applicable to this university?) or just discussed the world in the student commons. As Boromar doesn't sleep, he has twice as much time to discuss issues with others, and he is very gregarious (for a warforged) and eager to talk with anyone who is willing to share a conversation.

Relations with other PCs:

Tel Montayne - Boromar does not instinctively grasp human social classes and finds their interactions endlessly fascinating. The best analogy he has been able to develop is that human nobility is some kind of superior design, like advanced warforged created for leadership roles. He finds Tel's interactions with upper class students fascinating, and doesn't understand why Tel seems to disdain the rank and privilege he is obviously designed for. Boromar and Tel have had many conversations about human society, and the warforged has come to see Tel as a good friend and an expert on human relations.

Glaw - Boromar feels very comfortable with his fellow warforged. Depending on Glaw's age and/or previous military rank, Boromar feels either superior or deferential towards him. (That is, if Glaw is younger and/or of a higher rank, then Boromar sees him as a superior model and defers to his presumedly greater skill. If Glaw is older and/or of a lower rank, then Boromar considers him to be somewhat outdated, and realizes that he is more skilled in tracking and scouting.) In any case, Boromar likely appreciates Glaw for their shared experiences, backgrounds, and (I'm guessing) interests. It is always nice to have someone who is familiar, and Glaw (who may be the only other warforged in the university?) is a comfortable friend. They have probably had endless conversations about the nature of Nature. (Note that Boromar also has 4 ranks in Know-nature, so he's clearly interested and educated in the subject.)

Midian Rightson - Boromar knows him from the class they took together under Byless Delavert. Boromar may not know of (or understand) the druid's family dilemnas, but they have a shared appreciation for the natural world. Depending on the druid's beliefs, they may have had many conversations about the place of warforged in the Natural world. Boromar's thinking is that warforged are not originally part of Nature (they were clearly created by House Cannith) but that they are Bound up in, and consequently now a part of Nature. After all, they can die, as all natural things do. And (as Boromar believes) they live and think and (perhaps) have souls, as all natural things do.

Incidentally, to which druidic tradition does Byless Delavert (and presumably, Midian Rightson) belong?

Patruk Sivid - Boromar finds his experience fascinating. Although other students may be repelled by Patruk's interests, Boromar feels only the same detached excitement he feels with all new ideas. He is intrigued that a living human died and was brought back to life, and draws parallels between that and the "birth" of warforged, which are also lifeless, and then given life by some magical process. Boromar wonders what parallels may be drawn, and how undead (which he fought against during the war) fit into the picture - are they alive, or in some magically-enhanced state? Common wisdom says they are "unlife", and yet what does that mean for warforged? If corpses can be brought to a semblance of life by magic, then are warforged also some "semblance" of life? Are they truly alive? Or are they merely a facsimilie? These and similar conversations likely kept Patruk and Boromar up long into the night between exams.

Plonk - Boromar doesn't really "dislike" Plonk - he doesn't dislike anyone - but he doesn't find much about the gnome that interests him. It sounds like Plonk has interest in Boromar, and the warforged doesn't mind being the object of his curiousity, and will endlessly answer his questions. He'll even let Plonk repair him (if the occasion ever arrives in the university), but he doesn't want Plonk to experiment on him. Boromar has probably seen too many science experiments of Plonk's explode, and doesn't want to suffer the same fate. Although Boromar is interested in most things, "scientific" inventions like Plonks are lowest on his list. Boromar's chief interests are exploring new lands and cultures, the natural world, and philosophical inquiries about life and meaning.

Teivel ir'Torn - Teivel sounds like a popular, athletic, and not very studious fellow. Boromar has no interest in physical pursuits (he can't get fat by being lazy, and doesn't get fit by exercising) but he is obviously superior in athletic competition. Teivel might have talked him and Glaw into playing on his team to gain competitive advantages. I can see Teival being the kind of party guy who keeps the warforged strung along as pals that he can talk into any scheme he has in mind. If so, Boromar would definitely be susceptible to that kind of charm. Otherwise, Teival did not interest him much, and Boromar knows him only in passing.

Ozmar the Sociologist

Verbatim

Explorer
MC: Thanks for the green light to stat him up. I am on my lunch break now, but I will get him ready as soon as I am off shift.

Jarvel: [sblock]Good to see you back on the boards. Wish you were with us in Lamentation still. Perhaps later?[/sblock]

Bront

The man with the probe
Here's what I have so far. I'll have the background up before the night is through.

Mista, any chance I could use my favor in house to aquire a horse? A light warhorse would be fine, though a magebred, heavy, or heavy magebred would be even better. If not, I'll pay for it normaly (Like I have at the moment).

Edit - Added background. Might have a bit of cheese in it, but I think it works, is entertaining, and gives you a good feel for the personality and the why of who he is. He's a bit more of a crusader for good in general than a holy crusader, but I don't think that should be a big problem.

[sblock]
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Johan d'Deneith
[B]Class:[/B] Paladin of Freedom 1
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] CG
[B]Deity:[/B] ?

[B]Str:[/B] 15 +2 (8p.)      [B]Level:[/B] 1        [B]XP:[/B] 0/1000
[B]Dex:[/B] 12 +1 (4p.)      [B]BAB:[/B] +1         [B]HP:[/B] 12 (1d10+2)
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)      [B]Grapple:[/B] +3     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] XX/XXXX
[B]Int:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)      [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] XX
[B]Wis:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)      [B]Init:[/B] +1        [B]Spell Save:[/B] +X
[B]Cha:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)      [B]ACP:[/B] 0/-2       [B]Spell Fail:[/B] XX%

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +2    +2    +1    +0    +0    +0    15
[B]Touch:[/B] 11              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 14

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      2    +2          +4
[B]Ref:[/B]                       0    +1          +1
[B]Will:[/B]                      0    +2          +2

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Longsword                 +3      1d8+2     19-20x2
Lance(10' Reach)          +3      1d8+3       20x3
Warhammer                 +3      1d8+2       20x3
Dagger(10')             +3(+2)    1d4+2     19-20x2

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Sylvan

[B]Abilities:[/B] 
Human Racial Abilities
Aura of Good - Power equal to level
Detect Evil - at will, per spell
Smite Evil - +2 to hit, +1 to damage evil creature 1/day

[B]Feats:[/B]
1: Mounted Combat
1H: Favored in House 

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 20       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 4/2
[B]Skills                Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Bluff   		2    +2          +5
Diplomacy		2    +2          +5
Handle Animal		4    +2          +6
Heal			2    +2          +4
Kn: Nobility		2    +2          +4
Kn: Religion		2    +2          +4
Ride			4    +1          +5
Sense Motive		2    +2          +5

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
Leather Armor		10	15
Longsword		15	4
Heavy Wooden Shield	7	10
Warhammer		12	5
Dagger			2	1

Backpack		2	2
-Bedroll		0.1	5
-Waterskins (2)		2	8
-4 Days trail rations	2	4

Light Warhorse		150	Lots
-Military Saddle	20	30
-Saddlebags		4	8
-Lance			10	10
[B]Total Weight:[/B]54lb      [B]Money:[/B] 3gp 9sp 0cp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]                66   133   200   200   1000

[B]Age:[/B] 20
[B]Height:[/B] 6'3"
[B]Weight:[/B] 195lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Blue
[B]Hair:[/B] Blonde
[B]Skin:[/B] Tan
[/sblock]
Appearance: Johan is definitely a handsome young man. His short blonde hair is well maintained, and his deep blue eyes are a stark contrast to his well-tanned skin. He has a well-toned muscular physique, and stands fairly tall. His is fancily embroidered and has a gold clasp with the house insignia. His armor is well polished and maintained, and his clothing is always well maintained

Personality: Johan is a bit of a wild child, but is generally good hearted. He follows his own view of what is right, and does not compromise that. He enjoys attention and the spot light, but has stopped seeking the negative spotlight of late. Johan enjoys the company of others, particularly the company of women. He is quite sociable, and has a way with words that can ease hostilities.

Background: Johan d'Deneith has always had the easy life. His parents, Borris and Sandra, held great influence in the Deneith house, and were quite well off. His older brother and sister both manifested their dragon mark well before he was of age to, and his parents were often too busy training them to worry about Johan, so they would leave him with one of their many caretakers, which would either keep him “captive” in some small area of the estate, or pay little attention to him and let him run wild.

By the time Johan was 16, he was making friends in the house with his charm. Which was a good thing, because it’s the only thing that kept him out of trouble. However, he had not manifested a dragon mark, so his parents sent him off to the school of his choice. Wanting to get away from his parents who lived near Sharn, he chose to go to the University of Wynarn in Fairhaven.

Johan found some needed discipline at the university, but not a lot. He knew how to skate by on his wits and natural intelligence, though he was able to excel in skills at arms, as well as those of religion. Also, he truly enjoyed horsemanship, and trained in that extensively, going as far as taking an Animal Husbandry class with Prof. Byless Delavert to learn the proper care and maintaining of a horse. But his biggest change came when he took a class in Applied Religion.

Of course, Johan took Applied Religion for the same reason most people did, Prof. Natasha Woodlow was very hot. Not to be discouraged by the stigma of a student-teacher relationship, he looked for reasons to spend extra time with her. Natasha, a Paladin herself, took advantage of the time to teach Johan, drawing on his strong beliefs and good-natured heart. Johan learned that not all Paladins stood for law and order, and that in his heart was the ability to be a Paladin of Freedom. By the time Johan came to figure out Natasha wasn’t interested in him as a man, he didn’t care. At semester’s end, she had publicly stated that Johan was an up and coming Paladin.

Of course, this had its perks, because chicks dig paladins, not to mention good looking young wealthy nobles. Being a Paladin of Freedom, Johan started to watch his step a bit more, but he still enjoyed his fare share of the ladies. Always active socially, Johan was still an occasional troublemaker and definitely well known on the campus, but in general he flew on the straight and narrow, and the troubles he got into now was the occasional foray into areas he wasn’t supposed to be, or occasionally standing up to a professor he felt was treating him or another student unfair. He was heralded for standing up for any and everyone he felt had been wronged or held back, regardless of social status. He even led a few Warforged Equality rallies through Fairhaven and the University.

With a renewed dedication, he also picked up his schoolwork, delving into religion and combat to augment his excellent horsemanship skills. If he had not skated through early in his scholastic career, he would have easily been near the top of his class, though as it was, he managed to finish with honors.

Notes – Insert potential links to other characters

Last edited:

Ozmar

First Post
The Party So Far...

Look! Another student!

Mista Collins: DM

Ozmar: Boromar - warforged scout
ShaggySpellsword: Tel Montayne - half-elf ranger
Jarval: Glaw - warforged ranger
jkason: Midian Rightson - human druid
Ferrix: Teivel ir'Torn - human swashbuckler
Verbatim: Patruk Sivid - human necromancer
Krug: Plonk - gnome arificer
Bront: Johan d'Deneith - human paladin (of freedom!)

Boromar's thoughts...

Johan d'Deneith - Boromar probably likes Johan very much. He is charismatic and treats everyone kindly, even warforged. Although "warforged equality" is not a concept that Boromar naturally ascribes to, I am sure he would have attended any rallys at Johan's urging with detached curiosity. Boromar considers Johan to be a curious subject: the warforged has no instictive understanding of love or the motivations behind male-female relationships, and watches his friend's many trysts with the observational skill of a naturalist studying the mating patterns of a strange species in its native habitat.

Ozmar the Primatologist

Bront

The man with the probe
Ozmar said:
Boromar considers Johan to be a curious subject: the warforged has no instictive understanding of love or the motivations behind male-female relationships, and watches his friend's many trysts with the observational skill of a naturalist studying the mating patterns of a strange species in its native habitat.

Ozmar the Primatologist
I'm glad someone enjoyed the tongue in cheek way I approached that subject :)

BTW, I correct myself about you being short atribute points, I forogot about the racial mods.

Remove ads