Who's Hype for Dark Sun???

Danzauker

Adventurer
It does have an effect: Gargantuan creatures have a default base-size of four by four squares, but can be larger than this. If you want a creature that was "Colossal" in 3.5E to be the same size in 4E, call it Gargantuan and give it a base-size of six by six squares. Done.

As I'm rereading this debate, it occurs to me that I'm not even sure what your argument here is, except that you think we need Colossal again...

I have no argument, I'm not asking for Colossal creatures now. I don't recakk who called on them.

Yes, you should be. You could probably safely make your pixie-race Small though. Is quadrupedalism unbalanced? I don't know, but if it is, then you should be happy to have a balanced version offered to you, even if it means you're now playing a satyr instead of a centaur. You can use fluff to make up the difference. :)

Well, I don't think I "should" be happy of every bone thrown at me, and I sure would NOT be happy. Of playing a satyr instead of a centaur.

Between some limits I'm more than happy to use fluff to differentiate things. Sometimes though the limits are crossed.

Otherwise, why create more than 10 races in the books? Why not use just humans and describe them as pointy-eared, or short and nimble, or big and scaly, and that's all?

I agree the limit is personal, but when I think it's crossed I don't know why I "should" be happy with it.

Why are "the mechanics" needed now? 4E already has a big, giant-related race -- they're called goliaths. There's no role for a new half-giant race to play that goliaths can't. If you went ahead and included a new half-giant race anyway, you'd have to explain what the heck goliaths are (since they aren't half-giants) and why they're running around Athas...

...Because they will most definitely running around Athas this summer.

They will be not running around MY Athas. :)

I have no argument, I'm not asking for Colossal creatures now. I don't recakk who called on them.
'Twas you, sir.
[sblock]
Yes, I know they are. And in 4e they are even less accurate (they got rid of Colossal, after all).
[/sblock]

Well, I don't think I "should" be happy of every bone thrown at me, and I sure would NOT be happy. Of playing a satyr instead of a centaur.

Between some limits I'm more than happy to use fluff to differentiate things. Sometimes though the limits are crossed.

Otherwise, why create more than 10 races in the books? Why not use just humans and describe them as pointy-eared, or short and nimble, or big and scaly, and that's all?

I agree the limit is personal, but when I think it's crossed I don't know why I "should" be happy with it.
Fair enough. Don't hold your breath for any Large or Tiny races soon though.

They will be not running around MY Athas. :)
Don't play in any official events set in Athas, then:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/DarkSun_Mantis.pdf

Danzauker

Adventurer
'Twas you, sir.

Didn't even remember. :D What I meant there is that I know that 4e reduced the number of size classes and coalesced creatures in the remaining ones. This in general caused a sort of "domino shift" of really big creatures, expecially Giants, towards the smaller categories.

After all, if a Titan *has* to be bigger than a Giant, and tha mazimum size category is Gargantuan, then a Giant must at maximum be Huge, and so on.

Still, in order to appeal *me*, a half-giant HAS to be Laege. :p

Fair enough. Don't hold your breath for any Large or Tiny races soon though.

Unfortunately, I know, but I hope the fandom can quicly solve this problem. :)

Don't play in any official events set in Athas, then:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/DarkSun_Mantis.pdf

I never played an official event, I doubt I will ever do, and I frankly don't care, so it's not an issue for me. :)

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Put me down as another of the "not hype" - in my gaming group the DM always creates his own campaign setting, and nothing in Dark Sun jumps out at me as being a good fit for the campaign I'm running.

That said, the setting sounds awesome, and to me sounds like the coolest WotC setting yet for 4e (I quite dislike FR, Eberon seems neat but doesn't really grab me, while DS oozes flavour). I do think its great that its such a good fit for so many of you here - as I said, it sounds awesome, and I look forward to hearing of the experiences of those who do end up running or playing in a Dark Sun game.

So, don't imagine that my own lack of hype will hold your own enthusiasm back - and I sincerely hope that it doesn't! :)

Scribble

First Post
Put me down as another of the "not hype" - in my gaming group the DM always creates his own campaign setting, and nothing in Dark Sun jumps out at me as being a good fit for the campaign I'm running.

That said, the setting sounds awesome, and to me sounds like the coolest WotC setting yet for 4e (I quite dislike FR, Eberon seems neat but doesn't really grab me, while DS oozes flavour). I do think its great that its such a good fit for so many of you here - as I said, it sounds awesome, and I look forward to hearing of the experiences of those who do end up running or playing in a Dark Sun game.

So, don't imagine that my own lack of hype will hold your own enthusiasm back - and I sincerely hope that it doesn't! :)

It does not. :D

My hype grows on a daily basis... I wish it was already August! (It kind of sucks to wish your life away though.)

mgbeach

Explorer
Anyone interested should check out Dragon 387.. there's a preview of the Anakore in there. Also, a profile (and stats) for sorcerer-king Nibenay.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I am also quite hype[i[D[/i] for Dark Sun.

The question is not will I run a campaign, but how many. I am hoping two, one face to face and one via yahoogroups.

Am thinking now how to differentiate them well enough.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
To paraphrase LL Cool J:

I'm goin' back to Athas
Athas
Athas
I'm goin' back to Athas

Yo man, I don't think so.

By which I mean, despite the fact that I'm buying the thing, I'm never running it. And my personal instinct is that nobody else in my current group will either.

Remove ads