D&D 4E Who's still playing 4E

Nibelung

First Post
Just adding myself to this list. We just completed a 5-level campaign where I even adapted things like the Mournlands and Lord of Blades to be an heroic threat instead of paragon. And now we are so sure that we will stay on 4e for the future that we agreed to try one thing we never did: A full campaign from level 1 to 30.

We will even made some weird mix because I'm an avid DDO player, but my players are not, so I will adapt the game's storyline to PnP and make a event-based campaign instead of character-focused like the last one. Let's see if we will survive the whole thing.

In six years of 4e, the only consistent house rule I kept is giving humans the choice of +2 in a physical stat and +2 in a mental one (instead of +2 in only one stat), giving out elite and solos plain immunity from the Dominated condition because they are that good. Everything else is pretty much by the books.

Jessica

First Post
Our 4e game ended a couple of months ago because of real life interfering on the part of our DM. I found a group on roll20 for 4e with a concept for a campaign that looks really badass that I'm looking forward to.

I ran a game for years online using Maptool, but I found eventually that the face-to-face games were just a lot more rewarding, though the online ones weren't BAD. Things just move at a much slower pace and I think a lighter weight system works better for online play. DW for instance can be a pretty good system for that. Maybe something like Strike! too.

D'karr

Adventurer
I am running 4e as well.

Not much house rules for me either!

This is one thing I noticed a lot from 4e games I ran, or played in. There was very little need for house rules to "fix" system issues. The system was pretty solid at its core and worked as designed. It actually made the game more stable whenever we played. Any of the house rules we ended up implementing fell more into the extend the game design space rather than the fix the game design space.

This is one thing I noticed a lot from 4e games I ran, or played in. There was very little need for house rules to "fix" system issues. The system was pretty solid at its core and worked as designed. It actually made the game more stable whenever we played. Any of the house rules we ended up implementing fell more into the extend the game design space rather than the fix the game design space.

Yeah, we didn't really use house rules per-se at all in 4e. We did kinda ignore XP, mostly, and sometimes I didn't give everyone everything they theoretically would get from a long rest, but I'd call those more "DM administrative license" than really 'house rule'. Beyond that it was always just a matter of extrapolating and reflavoring things, no real rules changes.

Jessica

First Post
I think the only real house rule my DM did before was to give us the feat taxes for free(i.e. one expertise feat and one defenses feat).

Remove ads