• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Why 4E?

jeff37923

First Post
I keep seeing it mentioned that the 4th edition of DnD is going to come out Real Soon Now and muck everything up. Why does anyone think that 4E is going to happen? Has there been a press release about it from WotC?

jeff37923 said:
I keep seeing it mentioned that the 4th edition of DnD is going to come out Real Soon Now and muck everything up. Why does anyone think that 4E is going to happen? Has there been a press release about it from WotC?

Nope. In fact, WotC has said multiple times, on multiple forums, that there are no plans for anything resembling 4E.

What you're seeing is a few people's paranoia worrying a number of otherwise reasonable people.

Dark Jezter

First Post
jeff37923 said:
While I agree that the 4e threads are getting old, just be thankful that 4e is the topic of the moment and not "Low Magic, Grim & Gritty." That's one subject I hope is never resurrected.

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
At the d20 Licensees seminar at GTS yesterday, Charles Ryan and Ed Stark said:

- 3.5 is a highly evolved rules system that's selling extremely well; there's no reason for them to want to change it.

- Even once they did want to change it, the development time would be years; 3.0 was planned from the moment that WotC bought TSR, and it was a massive, lengthy effort to produce the new system.

- Once 3E was ready to release, they announced it 18 months in advance (it came out at Gen Con Indy in August, and was announced in March at GTS the year before).

So there's no way that 4E is suddenly going to pop out of the woodwork (although Charles clearly knew that it was a perennial rumor here at EN World!).

hong

WotC's bitch
jeff37923 said:
Because this is contagious, that's why:

chicken_little_3.gif

Ranger REG

Explorer
Tav_Behemoth said:
At the d20 Licensees seminar at GTS yesterday, Charles Ryan and Ed Stark said:

- 3.5 is a highly evolved rules system that's selling extremely well; there's no reason for them to want to change it.
Unfortunately, the appearance of 3.5e -- just three years after the Third Edition launch -- prompted fan expectation that a new version is due to show up in 2006, about three years after the release of 3.5e. I wonder if WotC had already expected that kind of repercussion.

Tav_Behemoth said:
- Even once they did want to change it, the development time would be years; 3.0 was planned from the moment that WotC bought TSR, and it was a massive, lengthy effort to produce the new system.
And how long was 3.5e in development prior to its July 2003 release? Immediately after the release of 3.0e?

Tav_Behemoth said:
- Once 3E was ready to release, they announced it 18 months in advance (it came out at Gen Con Indy in August, and was announced in March at GTS the year before).
IIRC, they announced 3.5e twelve months in advance, give or take.

Tav_Behemoth said:

Technical correction: 3e wasn't released at "Gen Con Indy" because Gen Con was still being held in Milwaukee at the time, but it was released at Gen Con in 2000, and the first public announcement of it was at Gen Con '99.

But to answer the original poster: 4e is the perrennial unfounded rumor that WotC will chuck out everything we like about 3.x and come up with a new, expensive, unproven system just because they can. 4e is the fear that they'll throw things out in a blatant cash grab to get us to buy new books, even if it's just making superfluous changes. While WotC apparently has no plans for it, the fear is that they will get in trouble with their Hasbro corporate masters, get desperate, and churn out a 4e well before it's time hoping to get people to buy new books. 3.5e fuelled this by coming out what seemed to be far too quick to many eyes.

If WotC ever did announce a 4e, you can bet there would be a lot more talk about it than the isolated rumors and discussions you're seeing here.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I think the reason it's being speculated on is that a 4E is inevitable at some point in time; hopefully that will be quite some time down the road. Yes, it will probably be as great a change as the step from 2E to 3E was, or at least I hope it will be, so it would indeed most likely 'muck everything up'.

The Shaman

First Post
jeff37923 said:
Why does anyone think that 4E is going to happen?
$
The upside is I have enough gaming material to last me well into the next couple of decades so that I can say with confidence that unless the next edition is something truly spectacular, I won't ever upgrade again.

Turanil

First Post
wingsandsword said:
If WotC ever did announce a 4e, you can bet there would be a lot more talk about it than the isolated rumors and discussions you're seeing here.
More probably, if WotC ever did announce a 4e, you can bet there would be a lot of talk about 5e! :D

By the way, did you know that 4e will be a "Low Magic, Grim & Gritty" version of 3.5? ;)

Remove ads