D&D 5E Why Are Rangers Arcane Spellcasters?

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Nothing quite makes one feel old as a gamer as when others refer to the use of ‘divine and ‘arcane’ as keywords with specific meaning for classes as “the old days”… ;)

EternalRain

First Post
SkidAce, you missed I'm a Banana's point, and shintashi sums it up nicely. Rangers are declared to be divine casters, but the word has no meaning anymore, and it is now like it was in the old days, were each spellcasting class had different lists and cast under different rules.

Grouping those quotes together was helpful - thank you!

I see the connection to an older way of doing it, but I must admit I am glad my DM lets me choose and spell I want. :)

schnee

First Post
They're a Sorcerer-mechanic 1/3 divine caster.

They cast in an innate way, from a Druid-based list. With a few uniques that make sense for a hunter... i.e., instead of getting Entangle, a crowd control spell, they get Ensnaring Strike, a single-target version.

Why not? Just because they use Wisdom as their spell casting attribute doesn't mean their spells spring from a divine source. Rangers pass secrets of manipulating the weave in nature among others in their creed.

As mentioned, the question is "why do rangers have spells known rather than access to the full list?"

I imagine that was a complexity issue. Not everyone likes rangers with spells, so picking one or two spells and sticking with it (or picking the least magical of spells) makes it easier for people who don't play spellcasters to manage the fighter.

Gwarok

Explorer
I think the real question is why can Rangers cast spells at all? Like, what character from any genre that would be described of as a ranger can cast spells? I assume they wanted to give them a little bit of extra customization and a few abilities. As to limiting them to spells from any pre existing classes, that doesn't bother me at all, its the effects we want to represent that are important. I've always taken their spells known to represent less magic they cast and more tricks and skills they've picked up over the years.

Remove ads