• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do all the characters die in British TV?

Kzach

Banned
Banned
If you don't like spoilers, probably best not to read any further.

So, all but one of the original cast is now left on Being Human UK and only two are left on Misfits. What the Hell is wrong with you people? Morrus? Anyone?

malcolm_n

Adventurer
That makes sense. You know, he kept telling me to find ways to kill players when I was updating War of the Burning Sky to 4th Edition D&D; and now I know why...

Elf Witch

First Post
The same reason they all die in real life. The real question is why Hollywood is so terrified of believable consequences in fiction.

Maybe they have learned that it upsets a good amount of their fanbase.

I watch TV to escape from my real world issues and be entertained. I am kind of simple in what I want. I want it to be first and foremost fun. I want the good guys to win and the bad guys to get what is coming to them. And I don't want the anxiety of worrying that my favorite character is going to die in every episode.

I loved Being Human but I have lost interest in it with all the killing.

Sometimes it works when an actor wants of the show like when Anthony Edwards wanted out on ER. His death from a brain tumor was very moving.

Killing Carson Becket on Stargate Atlantis was pointless and pissed off a huge amount of the fans so they brought him back.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I'm going to jump on the sentiment that it's better to ask why American TV and film is so reluctant to kill main characters, have unhappy endings, or carry negative or dark messages. It's art; it should reflect the totality of the human condition.

And, frankly, I hate when I feel like my material has been dumbed down or I'm being pandered to.

OTOH, there are some American shows with a high death rate. The Wire killed many of its more popular characters, and pretty much anything by Joss Whedon is going to have a high body count. Funny how the shows that kill characters tend to be the best ones...

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
British TV is an opiate designed to keep the population distracted with all the crunch

American TV is an opiate designed to keep the population distracted with all the fluff

Well, you see, long ago in a far away land, called England, there was this writer, his name was Bill. He had a way with writing tragic comedies, tragedies and historical tales that usually ended in death for quite a few of the main characters. These people, known as the English, they tended to get a kick out of this. As far as I can tell, they figured, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

(Trying to be humorous here, not condescending)

But, really if you look culturally, I think there is a lot of truth to this. England as a whole has no problem embracing death as a central plot theme, and the idea that NO ONE is static in a series. (You ever watch Dr. Who? - that show is built on the platform of if the star wants out, we don't need him.)

Meanwhile across the pond, we Americans are still arguing over why Aston Kutcher should have/should not have replaced Charlie Sheen and that it was all the studio's fault that they wouldn't bend over backward and kiss CS's backside. Frankly, I'm all for the BBC, kill em' all, let the Nielson's sort em out.

Sutekh

First Post
Unlike Elf Witch, I watch tv primarily to be engrossed by a plot/story/ collection of characters. If I have fun while doing so thats good to, but I need the dialogue to be on point and for characters not to deviate (the bane of multi writers on a tv show)

Picking a show like Dr Who, I firmly believe that if the concept ever arose in America it probably wouldnt have made it. Dr Who to me has always been about weaving the characters around a scifi story and watching them deal with what the story has to offer.

I do totally agree with previous posters, American tv esp on the Commercial networks seems loathe to kill off characters wheras i find the Cable shows there dont mind doing it. If the plot/story dictates a character should die, then thats what should happen

Elf Witch

First Post
Unlike Elf Witch, I watch tv primarily to be engrossed by a plot/story/ collection of characters. If I have fun while doing so thats good to, but I need the dialogue to be on point and for characters not to deviate (the bane of multi writers on a tv show)

Picking a show like Dr Who, I firmly believe that if the concept ever arose in America it probably wouldnt have made it. Dr Who to me has always been about weaving the characters around a scifi story and watching them deal with what the story has to offer.

I do totally agree with previous posters, American tv esp on the Commercial networks seems loathe to kill off characters wheras i find the Cable shows there dont mind doing it. If the plot/story dictates a character should die, then thats what should happen

just because I like a happy ending does not mean I don't like witty dialogue and characters that make sense.

I am a huge Dr Who fan and if you look at the history of that show they have rarely killed off main characters.

I am also a huge fan of Joss Whedon shows again they could be dark and gritty but Buffy, Willow, Xander and Giles all lived.

My issue is killing of character just to make a show gritty.

I watched the UK version of Being Human for the characters now that they are all gone but one I don't feel any desire to keep watching.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I watched the UK version of Being Human for the characters now that they are all gone but one I don't feel any desire to keep watching.

Funnily enough, I actually like the two new characters in BH UK better than the old ones. Mitchell was incredibly whiny and George was useless AND whiny and Nina was just plain annoying.

Lord Harry and Tom make a great team. In fact, all they need now is a cooler ghost and it'd be a truly awesome show.

Remove ads