• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do you love/hate Drizzt?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Man in the Funny Hat said:
If people would just ignore the character and stop mentiontiong him he would be gratefully forgotten so much easier and faster.

Except that he shouldn't be forgotten - he still has fans.

But you're right: People would forget about him if they would just ignore these kinds of threads, instead of stating their undying hatred over and over again.

It's like that would that would heal if only you'd stop picking at it.

messy

Explorer
i like drizzt, but i got tired of his moping. yeah, he's cool with the scimitars, but he became a cliche. i always preferred bruenor. at least the dwarf had a sense of humor :)

William drake

First Post
JVisgaitis said:
Here's the interesting rub. People complain that Drizzt is too perfect and he too easily takes down his foes. Sometimes when pressed in combat he doesn't do as good as he does other times, and people complain that he should of easily killed them all. You can't have it both ways people. And yeah, there are some power levels issues since the character has been around for so long, but I really don't think those could be rectified at this stage. I'll continue to read the series as I get enjoyment out of the books and that's really all I'm looking for.

Well, like I've said, I don't read it, and only know it because of a friend of mine. And, if not for this thread, I'd never talk about Drizzt. The prob I have is with R.A's inability to maintain a steady growth, now you say that the power level issue isn't a big deal. Well, it is; it speaks of an uncontrolled pen and how he seems to forget at times just what he’s written: how Drizzt has killed or fought things ten times as powerful as what recently just mopped the floor with him.

And for some one else, who said that we are all just complaining to complain, well, were not. This was a thread that asked a question, and so we’ve answered. Its not like we sit around all the time and talk about R.A or his Characters.

In short, even though I, as an adult reader have issues with R.A’s work, I applaud how much good he’s done for fantasy in general and how he’s helped a lot of kids stay interested in reading. Now not to offend any one, I figure the same thing about “Harry Potter” as an adult reader, I think it’s a bit childish for me, but, I love how much children are reading her books, and hope that this will push them to read other things as well.

It is what all writers wish for, and for that, both have done outstanding jobs.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
William drake said:
Well, like I've said, I don't read it, and only know it because of a friend of mine. And, if not for this thread, I'd never talk about Drizzt. The prob I have is with R.A's inability to maintain a steady growth, now you say that the power level issue isn't a big deal.

I do think its a big deal and I'm sorry if my response made you think otherwise. I've decided to live with it because I enjoy the action in the books. That doesn't mean it isn't a big mistake on RA's part. My comments on people in general are just an observation on the different views people have. For me, Drizzt went from deep and interesting fantasy in the first couple trilogies to popcorn reads. I wish the character could return to his roots, but at this point I fear that its too late.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I dislike him. A lot....
There are only so many ways an author can tell me a character is cool, and I'm sure a few of them were invented just for Drizzt. :\

William drake

First Post
JVisgaitis said:
I do think its a big deal and I'm sorry if my response made you think otherwise. I've decided to live with it because I enjoy the action in the books. That doesn't mean it isn't a big mistake on RA's part. My comments on people in general are just an observation on the different views people have. For me, Drizzt went from deep and interesting fantasy in the first couple trilogies to popcorn reads. I wish the character could return to his roots, but at this point I fear that its too late.

No prob man, trust me, it's a debate, and I enjoy it.

Game on

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Nightfall said:
I guess I am the only one getting this one for the dragon. :p

Not quite. I get this one for the dragon. And the other two. Since I already have a Drizzt and several barbarians, the dragon's actually the highlight.

It's just nice for those fans who don't have a Drizzt that they can get one without paying secondary market prices.

Remove ads