Why does Mars always rebel?

Balgus

First Post
Scribble said:
Because it needs women?
That is one great reason to rebel. Hell- I'd rebel if I couldnt get a woman- and I like my government...sorta

And what kind of women would you really get on Mars anyways?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Balgus said:
And what kind of women would you really get on Mars anyways?

Tall skinny ones.

Mars rebels because it's probably our earliest colony and, depending on the book and tech level, a world that can be made livable to a degree; once they have no need of Earth's resources, they'll want Home Rule. You might get a space colony declaring independence first, but it would probably be harder for them because they're more vulnerable to both attack and accidents.

Henry

Autoexreginated
ColonelHardisson said:
That's not too far off from the setting of TSR's old Buck Rogers XXVc game.

Strangely enough, I do have fond memories of that game, despite all the bad press it got. The Mars situation was pretty neat, and Earth as a trash-house is nothing new in fiction.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, generally speaking, colonies are full of people who wanted to get away from their former country. So it's not surprising they would chafe at rule from afar.

OTOH, not all colonies did. I mean, Australia never did AFAIK, and Canada was basically started by people who didn't want to rebel when the American colonies did. So I would think Mars would probably be split between rebels and loyalists.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Henry said:
Strangely enough, I do have fond memories of that game, despite all the bad press it got. The Mars situation was pretty neat, and Earth as a trash-house is nothing new in fiction.

I liked the game in general. The basic setting was interesting in a retro way (naturally). I didn't think much of all the various sourcebooks, with a few exceptions - No Humans Allowed is one of those exceptions. Lots of cool ideas, but the whole gennie trope got a bit tiresome after a while.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
An established LARGE military beachhead exists in my D20 Future campaign currently on the recently established Mars colony M'Rath. No chance of it. :uhoh: :cool:

shilsen

Adventurer
Because it's the only planet (bar Earth) with one syllable in its name. When you write a book about Mars revolting instead of Jupiter, you save a ton of money on ink and space.

Remove ads