Why does Mars always rebel?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) Because once they figure out how to solve the water problem, they're best able to rebel against Earth rule.

2) There are few other bodies in the solar system with the right combo of mass, atmosphere etc. to support life in such amounts as to successfully rebel. Some of the moons of the larger planets may have the water, but lack the energy reserves (barring mining their planets for methane).

3) The Earth, in such stories, has often degraded into an overpopulated hellhole with nearly dictatorial governments, staggering on the precipice of civil war, etc....a distopia, in other words.

genshou

First Post
Scribble said:
Because it needs women?
Ha ha ha. I get that joke. :D

Edit: And some of you who think you get it probably don't. :]

Second Edit: I should add something useful to this thread. Ahem:

In my homebrew d20 Future, Mars is not rebelling. The colonies in orbit around Saturn are. Mars was colonized by Earth but later purchased outright by a mining corporation. It is now the major supplier of metal to both the United Earth Protectorate and the Saturn Rebellion, quite the profitable position to be in. The Martians hope the civil war keeps going on for a very long time. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Look at the surface of Mars.

Sand. Red sand everywhere.

If you had that much sand in your shorts, you'd get ornery, too :)

XO

First Post
Mars.... I Reapeat... Mars...

"Mars was the Roman god of war, the son of Juno and either Jupiter or a magical flower. As the word Mars has no Indo-European derivation, it is most likely the Latinized form of the agricultural Etruscan god Maris. Initially the Roman god of fertility and vegetation and a protector of cattle, fields and boundaries, Mars later became associated with battle and identified with the Greek god Ares. He was also a tutelary god of Rome, and as the legendary father of its founder, Romulus, it was believed that all Romans were descended of Mars." - WikiPedia

Given the symbolic influence, do we really need wonder ?

Uder

First Post
It's early, but I'm having a hard time thinking of even a single colony in history that didn't at least try to rebel. I'm sure there must've been a few that were wiped out before the idea came up...

ceratitis

First Post
trancejeremy said:
OTOH, not all colonies did. I mean, Australia never did AFAIK, and Canada was basically started by people who didn't want to rebel when the American colonies did. So I would think Mars would probably be split between rebels and loyalists.

Australia a colony??!!!
i hardly think a desolate desert full of british convicted murderers can be called a colony. the brits just dumped them there to die.
Z

Remove ads