• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why is archery the prefered combat style?

Choranzanus

Explorer
At least in the PHB there is no doubt about the bias. I can understand that you shoot faster with a bow, but that you would do more damage than with a crossbow sounds really contrived.

And of course then there are the feats. There the bias really reaches absurd levels. I would think that shooting more than one arrow from a bow is next to impossible as opposed to say crossbow and especially a sling, where this was a common way of use.

EDIT: The talk is about ranged combat style, of course.

Last edited:

EyeontheMountain

First Post
Beats me. I have always seen Power Attack as the preferred combat style. Maybe too many Legolas fanboys at WOTC?

But I am not totally sure what you mean, for the Ranged style is a Ranger ability, and in that case most Rangers i ahve seen go that route as you can do it more easily, and skip feats and other requirements which is always nice.

If you want to splash Bow-fighting into your melee build 2 levels of ranger is excellent and cheap. If you wnatto be a real archer, don7t bother as you need Point Blank shot for too amny other archery feats.

Venator

First Post
PHB only, archery is far from prefered.

Power Attack + Cleave is probably the most popular, flowed by the two weapon fighters.

Archery appears to get a lot of love in the PHB due to the fact that they decided to devote 3 feats into making archery (ranged combat) somewhat worthwhile. Rapid Shot and Many Shot are simply there to try and keep the damage totals close enough to justify the fighting style.

I guess i agree with the point about xbows and slings though. Both just arent popular enough to get more than one dedicated feat in something as general as the PHB.

jasin

Explorer
PHB2 makes crossbows more attractive.

I think there's a feat that lets you add Dex to damage within 30 ft., and another (or the same?) which lets you extend your "precision range" up to 60 ft.

That would make crossbows the weapon of choice for ambushers, which I think fits.

hong

WotC's bitch
jasin said:
PHB2 makes crossbows more attractive.

I think there's a feat that lets you add Dex to damage within 30 ft., and another (or the same?) which lets you extend your "precision range" up to 60 ft.

That would make crossbows the weapon of choice for ambushers, which I think fits.
I feel compelled to mention that I got there five years ago, NOT THAT ANYONE LISTENS TO ME

Jeff Wilder

First Post
You could house-rule bows as exotic weapons, if the comparison with crossbows and slings bothers you that much. It's at least arguably justified by realism.

I'd go the other way, though, and build some feats to make crossbows better. (Slings are lame, and, let's face it, should stay lame.) It's gonna be difficult, if you're stuck on realism, because realistically bows simply are better than crossbows in proficient hands.

Still, something as simple as ...

Crossbow Specialization [General]
Prerequisite
Proficiency with crossbow, BAB +2.
Benefit
You are devastatingly accurate with a crossbow at any range. While wielding a crossbow with which you are proficient, you get +2 to attack rolls and +2 to damage rolls.
Special
You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do stack. A fighter may select Crossbow Specialization as one of his fighter bonus feats.

... would make people at least take a second look at the crossbow as an alternative to the self bow.

Choranzanus

Explorer
Jeff Wilder said:
I'd go the other way, though, and build some feats to make crossbows better. (Slings are lame, and, let's face it, should stay lame.) It's gonna be difficult, if you're stuck on realism, because realistically bows simply are better than crossbows in proficient hands.

Well, I guess I agree about sling in a way. In medieval times slings were mainly used to throw stones at massed enemy, so it isn't particularly good in single combat. However, unlike with a bow you can throw all sort of strange projectiles with a sling (such as various pyrotechnic devices), which could easily make it worthwhile in a D&D game.

Otherwise I cannot agree that bows simply are better than crossbows. Crossbows are obviously more accurate and do more damage, but not in D&D. You can't apply your strenght modifier to a crossbow and there are no feats, which makes it a bad choice for a fighter. If realism is concerned, choice between bow and crossbow isn't obvious, even if you are highly proficient. And as I said, things like manyshot have nothing to do with realism.

Justin Cray

First Post
Hong: Birthright is older than 5 years and had more powerfull Crossbows. :p

But yeah regarding the OP: no idea. Crossbows would make the settings too medieval maybe?

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Choranzanus said:
Otherwise I cannot agree that bows simply are better than crossbows. Crossbows are obviously more accurate and do more damage, but not in D&D.
This is just not true. (I'm a former champion archer, if an Appeal to Self-Authority won't annoy you too much.)

It's true that crossbows have a flatter trajectory, but that's reflected in crossbows being simple weapon (i.e., easier to learn). In the hands of proficient archers, crossbows are no more accurate than bows.

And only the heaviest of crossbows hits harder than a self bow with a respectable pull. (And heavy crossbows do hit harder than bows in D&D.) Once you start dealing with a seriously powerful draw, a self bow hits significantly harder than a crossbow. (And composite bows with high Strength bonuses do so in D&D.)

You can't apply your strenght modifier to a crossbow
No, although it would make complete sense to allow it. Historically, crossbows varied some, although because the intent was to equip the Average Joe, the vast majority of them were, well, average. I'm pretty sure GURPS has nice rules for the interaction of extra damage and reloading time. You could take a look there.

and there are no feats, which makes it a bad choice for a fighter.
Agreed, which is why I suggested one.

If realism is concerned, choice between bow and crossbow isn't obvious, even if you are highly proficient.
This is simply incorrect. The only advantage a crossbow has, if both archers are proficient, is the ability to fire while prone. In a non-ambush skirmish situation, that's not a selling point.

And as I said, things like manyshot have nothing to do with realism.
Agreed.

Again, if you want to reflect realism, your best best is to make bows exotic weapons. Becoming skirmish proficient with a bow could take years, compared to weeks or months with a crossbow.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads