• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why is Ice Storm a higher level spell than Fireball?

Shard O'Glase

First Post
supposedly the no save makes it that much more powerful.

It really doesn't it gains a marginal utility vs rogues and monks though if I'm relying in any way upon 5d6 I'm kissing my butt goodby. And for the vast majority of times it just does less damage.

No save things on = damage spells or disabling spells should be higher levels but on less damage spells they should be about equal.

Psyduck

First Post
One more edge that ice storm may have over fireball...

Only part of the damage is ice; the rest of the damage is bludgening. This may get past part of a creature's cold resistance, whereas fireball just works if the fire resistance is beaten.

Again...just a small edge, but it's there

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Psyduck said:
One more edge that ice storm may have over fireball...

Only part of the damage is ice; the rest of the damage is bludgening. This may get past part of a creature's cold resistance, whereas fireball just works if the fire resistance is beaten.

Again...just a small edge, but it's there

But the bludgening damage may be negated by DR. Barring SR, it's a spell designed to do a little damage to a wide variety of creature types.

Of course, Gelugons may laugh at you...

Andargor

Yeoman

First Post
andargor said:

But the bludgening damage may be negated by DR. Barring SR, it's a spell designed to do a little damage to a wide variety of creature types.

Of course, Gelugons may laugh at you...

Andargor
I don't think damage reduction will negate that bludgeoning damage. Either way the spells utility is marginal at best.

dcollins

Explorer
Historically (prior to this edition of D&D), ice storm and sleet storm were a single spell -- you got to choose at casting which effect you wanted. In 3rd Edition they separated them out, at the same level, without any compensation for the reduced functionality.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
they bumped the sleet effect down to 3rd level. Its not bad there though maybe a little weak.

I like the slowing effects like slow/sleet/solid fog.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Ice Storm sucks, IMHO.

Try my house-ruled version on for size instead:

Hail falls for one full round, dealing 4d6 points of bludgeoning damage and 4d6 points of cold damage to creatures in their path. Listen checks made within the ice storm’s effect take a –4 penalty, and all ground movement within its area is at half speed. At the end of the duration, the hail disappears, leaving no after effects (other than the damage inflicted).

Remove ads