• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why no Quickened spontanious spells?

wighair

Explorer
Just been browsing the SRD...

It seems that it is not possible to quicken a spontanious spell because employing this feat causes it to require a full round to cast. However, the feat only forbibs usage when the casting time is GREATER than one round.
I don't see why this forbids it: Equal to is not greater. Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

QUICKEN SPELL [METAMAGIC]
Benefit: Casting a quickened spell is a free action. You can perform another action, even casting another spell, in the same round as you cast a quickened spell. You may cast only one quickened spell per round. A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full round action cannot be quickened. A quickened spell uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell’s actual level. Casting a quickened spell doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity.
Special: This feat can’t be applied to any spell cast spontaneously (including sorcerer spells, bard spells, and cleric or druid spells cast spontaneously), since applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell automatically increases the casting time to a full-round action.

Merlion

First Post
Its because of how all metamagic feats interact with spontaneous casting. Any time a metamagiced spell is cast spontaneously its casting becomes a full round action, and that negates Quicken.

Now, this is a rank absurdity of course. Quicken should have been made the exception to that rule. But for some reason, WOTC created the Sorcerer and then decided to have it be the red headed stepchild of arcane magic.

apsuman

First Post
And of course the other answer is that the sorcerer so much kicks wizards' butts that to give them quicken would simply render those bunch fo book readin' glorified librarians to an NPC class.

wighair

Explorer
Merlion said:
Any time a metamagiced spell is cast spontaneously its casting becomes a full round action, and that negates Quicken.

But, it isn't a spell whose casting time is more than 1 full round action. It is equal to a full round action - not greater than. That it what I don't understand. Its like saying a Bear can't be Brown, because cats cannot be brown. But I say a Bear is not a cat!

RigaMortus

Explorer
wighair said:
But, it isn't a spell whose casting time is more than 1 full round action. It is equal to a full round action - not greater than. That it what I don't understand. Its like saying a Bear can't be Brown, because cats cannot be brown. But I say a Bear is not a cat!

You are reading the wrong part of the text. You are reading this part:

A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full round action cannot be quickened.

When you should be reading this part:

Special: This feat can’t be applied to any spell cast spontaneously (including sorcerer spells, bard spells, and cleric or druid spells cast spontaneously), since applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell automatically increases the casting time to a full-round action.

UltimaGabe

First Post
Okay, I can understand Sorcerers not being able to use the Quicken Spell Metamagic Feat. It would be pretty darn powerful if Sorcerers could quicken whatever spell they want whenever they want, and that part is understandable.

What I DON'T get, however, and what no amount of excuses will rationalize, is why Sorcerer's can't even use Metamagic Rods of Quickening. Wizards can use them whenever they want, but Sorcerers simply can't. Why not? Would being able to quicken as many spells as a Wizard per day be overpowering?

wighair

Explorer
RigaMortus said:
Special: This feat can’t be applied to any spell cast spontaneously (including sorcerer spells, bard spells, and cleric or druid spells cast spontaneously),
**** since applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell automatically increases the casting time to a full-round action ****.

I know it says you can't. But what I'm saying is the reason it gives (**** bounded section above) does not prohibit the Qicken feat. It has increased it to a full round action - BUT, full round actions are FINE. Only those LONGER than a full round fail. Hope I'm explaining this well enough.

Thanks for input people!

hong

WotC's bitch
wighair said:
I know it says you can't. But what I'm saying is the reason it gives (**** bounded section above) does not prohibit the Qicken feat. It has increased it to a full round action - BUT, full round actions are FINE. Only those LONGER than a full round fail. Hope I'm explaining this well enough.

Thanks for input people!
The asterisked section is fine. It's simply clarifying that you have two opposing effects going on (Quicken: casting time reduced to free action; spontaneous metamagic: casting time increased to a FRA), and the latter takes precedence over the former.

glass

(he, him)
RigaMortus said:

I think wighair's point is that this is a non-sequitur. We know that applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell make it a full round action to cast. This is true, but it isn't a reason to disallow sorcerers from using quicken spell.

Given that the reason in the text is false, is there any real reason for this rule to be in existence?

glass.

wighair

Explorer
Its as if they meant to say you can't quicken an already "meta-magic feated" spontaniously spell, e.g. Maximised. But the logic doesn't stand up for a non meta-magic feated spell, e.g. Bog standard magic missle.

Glass: exacly my point. I didn't know the posh phrase for it though. Nice...

non se·qui·tur ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nn skw-tr, -tr)
n.
An inference or conclusion that does not follow from the premises or evidence.
A statement that does not follow logically from what preceded it.

Last edited:

Remove ads