Why the beer hate? (Forked Thread: What are the no-goes...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumbles

First Post
I get what you're saying. I agree with others that the problem is the person not the alcohol, and treating someone one way because of the offences of another I would - personally - view as social behaviour I wouldn't be prepared to tolerate, whatever the issue in question.

Well, I don't disagree with the folks who are saying that the root of the problem is the person, however, I'm not playing D&D to fix people.

So what do you drink during a game? I go for the tall pitcher of VERY sweet iced tea myself.

I tend towards water and Gatorade. Most of the rest of the group drinks soft drinks of one sort or another, except for the health nut who drinks juices... usually some sort of jungle juice/suicide where he just dumps the ends of three or four different pitchers of different juices into his big mug before he comes over.

Tewligan

First Post
They're old enough to smoke legally. By law, they're adults. Yes, I know, and I agree with you that the ultimate root of the problem is they're idiots who can't behave properly, but what I can do? I realized a long time ago I can't make some people behave better.
(Emphasis mine)
Not play with idiots, maybe?

Wicht

Hero
Most people were. Wicht wasn't; toxic is not a word one would use to describe mental effects.

The effects of alcohol on the brain are, as I understand it, directly related to the effects of alcohol on the body. But I'm bowing out of the arguement. I think trying to debate whether water is worse for you than alcohol is not something I am interested in doing. I don't drink. If you do, that is your choice and i can't stop you. But I don't have to be around you if you are drinking and that is the crux of the original question. Many of us who don't drink are not comfortable around others who are. Trying to convince me that water is bad for me is not really going to change that.

As for what I do drink when I game, I prefer iced tea, very mildly sweetened, preferably a blend of green tea and black tea, maybe with a hint of jasmine.

Tewligan

First Post
Soda and Kool-aid. I know, very bad of me, but the water where I am is too hard to drink straight.
Ugh - I played in too many groups in college where all that caffeine and sugar made the players too excitable and goofy. That's why I refuse to play in games where soda is being ingested.

(Okay, I'm mostly being a smartass. Mostly - the guys at my college games who'd show up with a couple 2-liters of Coke or Mountain Dew did tend to get a bit fidgety and obnoxious as they guzzled that crap. I've had more problems with that type of player than the ones who drank alcohol, actually...)

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Then I'd have a lot fewer people to play with.

Taking drinking and smoking, among other things, leaves me with people who may be idiots about some things, but if you remove the locus of the problem, it's fine.
Seriously?

Not playing with people who can't have a beer without acting like an idiot will leave you with "a lot fewer people to play with"? A lot fewer? Really?

Where the hell do you live, some freaky Fratern-iverse? Bizarro Utah? The Consolidated State of Inebriation? A binge-drinker's commune?

Tewligan

First Post
Then I'd have a lot fewer people to play with. Most people are only idiotic about some things, not everything.
If I might ask, what's the age range of your group? I'm wondering if part of the problem is people being too young to know how to drink within reason.

Bumbles

First Post
Ugh - I played in too many groups in college where all that caffeine and sugar made the players too excitable and goofy. That's why I refuse to play in games where soda is being ingested.

Fair enough, I'm willing to drink something else, or use sugar-substitutes. In fact I do have the non-sugar versions available for people. I did go no-soda for a while, but then I let myself get weak when Mountain Dew Game Fuel came out.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads