Why the beer hate? (Forked Thread: What are the no-goes...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, I don't disagree with the folks who are saying that the root of the problem is the person, however, I'm not playing D&D to fix people.

I don't really understand what you're saying there. No, of course you don't. Neither do I; I certain;ly hope my post doesn't imply in some way that I do. I was merely refering to one's choice of social companions, and basing it on the person and not on the fact that they have something in common with someone who caused offence.

I'm talking about a social interaction with other human beings, and what I personally consider an acceptable way to interact with them; and that I'd consider being "lumped in" with problem people for convenience's sake to be beyond my personal limit of socially acceptable behaviour.

Your standards, obviously, differ greatly to mine. That's not a bad thing - different strokes, and all that. Nobody requires that everyone have the same opinion on everything. But they aren't compatible standards for the purposes of social interaction.

You gotta stand for what you believe in. You're doing exactly that; I'm merely stating that I believe something very different.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
It might be really interesting to start a poll on the drinking attitude as compared to country. I suspect that a higher percentage of folks in the US will have a problem with it, but I don't know for sure.
In the US it would vary by state. After Prohibition, each state took it upon themselves to do weird stuff. Where I now live in California, I can buy liquor at the corner drug store along with Mac and Cheese, pet food, and over the counter drugs, prescription drugs, and get my photo's developed.

Where I grew up in Texas, it varied by city. So, in Farmer's Branch (where I grew-up), no one sold alcohol. Chain restaurants known for their beer selection couldn't serve it. Now, a customer could bring their own, but it required a special card to do so. Imagine that, BYOB to eat out at a restaurants.

Of course, Farmer's Branch is a small city and all one had to do was go to one where booze is legal to buy it. But those cities pretty much only sold liquor at liquor stores, not grocery stores or pharmacies like we have in California.

So what do you drink during a game? I go for the tall pitcher of VERY sweet iced tea myself.
Soda. I call it DM fuel. My players drink a number of different things, Mountain Dew being pretty popular. Right now, no one drinks at the game. Near as I can tell, no one in my current game drinks. In previous games, I had a couple of people who drank. Back when my game was at a Round Table Pizza in Cupertino, they'd split a pitcher.

Invisible Stalker

First Post
Where I grew up in Texas, it varied by city. So, in Farmer's Branch (where I grew-up), no one sold alcohol. Chain restaurants known for their beer selection couldn't serve it. Now, a customer could bring their own, but it required a special card to do so. Imagine that, BYOB to eat out at a restaurants.

Of course, Farmer's Branch is a small city and all one had to do was go to one where booze is legal to buy it. But those cities pretty much only sold liquor at liquor stores, not grocery stores or pharmacies like we have in California.

Yep. My village is also a dry one. And I have voted for it to remain so twice.

malraux

First Post
In the US it would vary by state. After Prohibition, each state took it upon themselves to do weird stuff. Where I now live in California, I can buy liquor at the corner drug store along with Mac and Cheese, pet food, and over the counter drugs, prescription drugs, and get my photo's developed.

I still can't believe that the town I grew up in had not just drive through liqour stores, but a daiquiri hut where in you could order a gallon jug of frozen drink from your car window.

I'd rant about stupid blue laws, but that's probably too close to politics.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Well, yes. I wasn't suggesting that opinions would be exactly uniformly distributed within any given national boundaries. :)

But there will be a national average. A poll on EN World isn't exactly scientific anyway!

Bumbles

First Post
I don't really understand what you're saying there. No, of course you don't. Neither do I; I certain;ly hope my post doesn't imply in some way that I do.

Well, that seems to be what people think I'm thinking, at least that's the vibe I'm getting. So I prefer to make sure it's a cause for confusion.

I was merely refering to one's choice of social companions, and basing it on the person and not on the fact that they have something in common with someone who caused offence.

I prefer to base it on the person, myself, that's why I remove one factor that can affect a person's behavior. And since I don't want to be in the place of putting one person on the spot because of their drinking problems, I avoid having anybody drinking.

It's no different than a group having some rules for dice-rolling, like "if it goes off the table, it's rerolled" or "everybody rolls with the same set of dice" which I've seen before.

Do I insist they judge me as a person? No, I'm content with them making that choice for their group. In fact, I'm more comfortable with it being a rule for the group than the individual.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I prefer to base it on the person, myself, that's why I remove one factor that can affect a person's behavior. And since I don't want to be in the place of putting one person on the spot because of their drinking problems, I avoid having anybody drinking.

It's no different than a group having some rules for dice-rolling, like "if it goes off the table, it's rerolled" or "everybody rolls with the same set of dice" which I've seen before.

Do I insist they judge me as a person? No, I'm content with them making that choice for their group. In fact, I'm more comfortable with it being a rule for the group than the individual.

Yup, I understand that you're comfortable with that approach. I have no doubt in that regard! :)

I, however, am not. I would rather deal with a problem individual. And, honestly, I game with my friends - if one of them has a drinking problem, I'm gonna mention it (privately, of course). At that point, my concerns are far greater than a D&D game.

The Little Raven

First Post
So long as people aren't doing lines off the battlemat, we let people manage their own buzzes. The normal rules apply (don't be a dick, contribute to the game in a constructive manner), so we don't feel the need to police eachother.

Oryan77

Adventurer
What I've learned from these 'no-go' threads....

If I want an annoying player out of the group, it'll be much easier to just drink more and take up smoking. I wish I knew about this earlier.

So should I go with a certain brand of tobacco or just go straight to cigars? What about pipes? Would people think I'm cool smoking from a pipe while playing D&D (like a wizard)? A pipe might defeat the purpose :mad:

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Well, yes. I wasn't suggesting that opinions would be exactly uniformly distributed within any given national boundaries. :)

But there will be a national average. A poll on EN World isn't exactly scientific anyway!
Oh, I knew you didn't think that. I just jumped on the opportunity to talk about stuff. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads