• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why the RPG hobby is an awesome one

Asmor

First Post
There are celebrities everywhere, there always have been and there always will be. It's just human nature to want to exalt certain people up.

The cool thing about the RPG industry, though, is that our celebrities aren't celebrities. They're just gamers, just like us. Even cooler, we all can-- and frequently do-- interact with them. The late Gary Gygax was a regular here on ENWorld. Whether we're talking about our evil corporate overlords, like The Rouse or Keith Baker, trendy developers like Monte Cook, or even prodigious freelancers like Ari Marmell, pretty much all of the superstars of the RPG industry are down-to-earth people who treat their fans as peers and interact with them on a regular basis. They write blogs and message board posts, and they respond to other peoples' blogs and message board posts. They personally defend their ideas, explain what they like and dislike, etc.

Could you imagine going to, say, an official Iron Man forum and chatting with Robert Downey Jr., much less having him stop by to address your criticisms or express thanks for your kudos towards his portrayal of Tony Stark? I think not.

The RPG industry is an industry, like any other, make no mistakes, but it's a closely-knit one that really does feel like a community even to the little guys like me who aren't involved except as consumers, and that's really freaking cool when you think about it. When I see Keith Baker's name on the byline for a new Dragon article, I think, "Wow, good for him!" because even though I know he's the designer of Eberron and I don't actually know him all that well, I get a rush like one of my friends just got published in Dragon or something.

gill_smoke

First Post
I remeber the first time I saw a Gygax post here. I spent a half an hour going "Really? The Grand Pooba is Gary Gygax? That Gary Gygax?" I still get giddy when I see a Monte or Mearls post.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Could you imagine going to, say, an official Iron Man forum and chatting with Robert Downey Jr., much less having him stop by to address your criticisms or express thanks for your kudos towards his portrayal of Tony Stark? I think not.
ComicBookResources.com -- Lots of interaction with creators.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I don't think the RPG industry is quite as unique in this respect as you think, but it's certainly one of the best examples of its kind, so hear hear.

Scribble

First Post
The fanboard for LOST was like that for a while... The actors and writers would regularily show up and post and answer questions. I don't know what it's like anymore though.

That's the benefits I guess of having a small hobby. :D

Ranger REG

Explorer
While I do agree with the topic statement, I find some of your argument very questionable...

You could no more talk to RDJ about Iron Man than you could chat with Bruce Payne about Dungeon & Dragons: Wrath of the Elemental God.

Well put. Game designers are indeed human, even to the point sometimes of behaving like the worst of human beings and not the best. However, as fans we have more access to them than Joe and Jane Somebody.

Remove ads