• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why there won't be a "Player's Handbook II"

Players Handbook: The Grouptesting Strikes Back!

Players Handbook: The Grouptesting Strikes Back!

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I was at the Dungeons & Dragons panel at Gamehole Con this past weekend. One thing that was brought up by Jeremy Crawford (if I remember correctly) was the reason for not wanting to use a name like Player's Handbook II. It seems that in our electronic games dominated world, people see a title like World of Warcraft IV, the buying public knows that they no longer want to settle for the obviously outdated World of Warcraft I, II, or III. Therefore, why buy the now outdated Player's Handbook when you can get the obviously upgraded latest and greatest Player's Handbook II. Only after its too late do they realize most of the rules aren't included.

So no book titled PHB II. Maybe they should try something like Player's Handbook, Episode 2? I should clarify, they didn't say there would not be a book serving the purpose of a PHB II, only that they don't plan to use that kind of title.

phb2.jpg

phb2a.jpg

phb3.jpg

Attachments

• phb2.jpg
    phb2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 9,587
  • phb2a.jpg
    phb2a.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 4,311
  • phb3.jpg
    phb3.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 4,152
Last edited by a moderator:

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Makes sense. And since Mearls is opposed to recreating old products, we probably won't get "Unearthed Arcana" either.

Not that it matters. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I think this is kind of a good thing because it encourages more creativity in product design. "Like the Player's Handbook, but again!" shouldn't be good enough for the team. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads