• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why use D&D for a Simulationist style Game?

innerdude

Legend
I've been following this thread off and on, have caught most of the general "gist," but can't reply to any specific post.

To reply to @Hussar's original post / original question, "Why use D&D for a simulationist style game?" the answer is, because you don't know any better.

Up until 2009, that's exactly where I would have been. I'd never seriously played any other game system other than D&D; my entire RPG history consisted of BECMI and 3.x. It would never have occurred to me to even attempt to use another system. If I was going to play a game, I would've wrangled D&D into what I wanted it to be.

It's interesting, because I read the post yesterday that statted up one of the Game of Thrones characters into a level 13 D&D 5 character. And I thought it was really cool. Until I saw that he had 147 hit points. And having now been thoroughly ensconced in Savage Worlds for a couple of years now, my mind just totally rebelled at the thought. Hit points? And a 147 of them? Had the same reaction to 13th Age, when I found it wasn't uncommon for high-level enemies to have upwards of 300+ hit points. And I'm sorry, but just . . . no. I don't have any desire to try and track, justify, or otherwise rationalize how a 13th level fighter has 147 hit points any more.

Savage Worlds has all kinds of gamist subsystems. Character advancement bears absolutely no relation to the "real world." The "soak a wound using an action point / benny" system is pure meta-game abstraction (though most of the rest of the damage system can be easily modeled to a reasonable "real world" analogue). But for all of its gamist / narrativist / meta-game "proud nails," Savage Worlds is BY FAR more "simulationist" in its approach to action resolution than D&D will ever be.

The reason is that where Savage Worlds feels the need to be simulationist, it generally adheres to those principles. When meta-game mechanics come front and center, they make zero attempt to weave their way into the rest of the game. It's not explicitly called out in the rules, but in play, the elements that are strictly metagame pretty much stay within the metagame, and don't intrude into other arenas.

Frankly, I'm eternally grateful for the advent of 4e, for without it, I never would have been compelled to look at systems other than D&D. And discover systems that suited what I was looking for in an RPG much, much better than D&D---of any variety---ever will.

I think the confusion with D&D, 3.x in particular, comes because there's a dichotomy between the abstract combat elements of hit points and armor class, versus the more relatively "real world" modeling of the skill system. The skill system feels like it semi-accurately models a character's relative capability, and so suddenly the cry of "D&D is now simulationist!!" went up. As long as you limit your view of D&D's "simulationism" to that narrow component of the mechanics, it's actually reasonably accurate. It's fairly easy to envision how a particular bonus to a skill correlates to a "real world" equivalent.

As soon as you expand your view to pretty much anything else in 3.x, claims of "simulationism" start to look dubious at best, or at the very least, rationalized by proponents through the view of an individualistic lens of what the "simulation" actually entails.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Why would you need specific mechanics for such a situation? The game effect is much like being burned or shocked - you take hit point damage, and then don't suffer penalties or meaningful debilitation because this is just a simplified model.

Which is my original point - the addition of different damage types is largely pointless. There's no difference between one or another. You can add in the idea of "blunt force trauma" or "morale damage" or "loss of god protection" and it doesn't matter to the model because the model is not actually modelling anything. It's abstract to the point where it isn't telling us anything.

pemerton

Legend
the wizard has Mage Armor going, like the vast majority of wizards who expect combat at some point.
The Armour spell was introduced into AD&D with UA. Before that, MUs relied on DEX or items.

I'm vaguely curious, back in Gygax's day, how many high-level Magic Users were wandering around with AC 10.
Why are high level MUs the relevant category? Most play is at low to mid-levels.

An AC of 8 (+1 DEX, +1 ring or cloak of protection) was pretty common for such characters up until 5th or higher level.

Which is my original point - the addition of different damage types is largely pointless. There's no difference between one or another.
There are still some meaningful differences when it comes to specific rules, but adding in damage types can allow you to bypass a whole lot of clutter on individual interactions. Things like skeleton not being stab-able, or rope being cut-able, are much easier to write out when you have damage types than when you need specific sentences for each thing. At some point, they decided that this method would save time and effort.

You could easily simplify it further, and just not care that skeletons are mostly empty space that doesn't care about being stabbed. The designers disagreed, though, because they thought it makes for a better game if you take those sorts of things into account.

pemerton

Legend
I think the confusion with D&D, 3.x in particular, comes because there's a dichotomy between the abstract combat elements of hit points and armor class, versus the more relatively "real world" modeling of the skill system. The skill system feels like it semi-accurately models a character's relative capability, and so suddenly the cry of "D&D is now simulationist!!" went up. As long as you limit your view of D&D's "simulationism" to that narrow component of the mechanics, it's actually reasonably accurate.
My only quibble with this is that, once DCs for skill checks grow above 30, they have ceased to be simulationist in any deep sense: like the sky-high natural armour bonuses of high-CR creatures, the numbers are being chosen purely for gameplay purposes, and not with any conception of what they actually correlate with in the gameworld.

pemerton

Legend
Because low-level Magic-Users, prior to the Death's Door optional rule, were actually really good about dying if an ogre hit them with an axe.
Isn't AD&D or B/X ogre damage 1d10? (That's what OSRIC puts it at.)

So a 5th level MU has a pretty good chance of surviving a hit from an ogre. Especially if s/he has 15 CON.

Isn't AD&D or B/X ogre damage 1d10? (That's what OSRIC puts it at.)

So a 5th level MU has a pretty good chance of surviving a hit from an ogre. Especially if s/he has 15 CON.
I honestly can't say, since I started with AD&D 2E, but that edition had an ogre deal damage "by weapon +6" -- to account for their 18/00 Strength score. Or they could do 1d10 if they were unarmed, for some reason.

That puts an ogre with a great-axe at ~13 damage, which will outright kill a level 5 wizard lacking exceptional Constitution.

Remove ads