• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wilderlands of High Fantasy - Wots...Uh The Deal?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Soel said:
Heh, I was going to ask about how the Mayfair versions of Judges Guild books stacked up to the originals. Any more insight?

I owned the Mayfair version. The only thing that I saw that the original and the Mayfair version shared was the name. The Mayfair version was rather lackluster.

Crysmalon

Explorer
PG Wilderlands

Couple notes regarding the Player's Guide since I'm reading through this to prep for my new campaign.

1) Most of the 'new' classes I don't really see as necessary. I may allow the Amazon, but I think Barbarian works just fine especially if you don't plan on using psionics (I may not). The others seem more of NPC-type classes
2) The multitude of race sub-types (particularly human varieties) is almost overwhelming. Still, it's very cool. I'm not much for purple-skinned humans, but that's easy to remove and keep culture/ethnic differences.
3) I don't really see a a ToC or Index which has made it tough to dig through
4) The timeline and history sections are great
5) Again, monsters should not have been in this book
6) A couple 3.0isms sneak in since it was published about the time 3.5 came out.
7) Confusing, but I'm not an WoHF expert, that I remember reading in the boxed set that there is no 'common' tongue, yet almost all the human varieties list Common as a language.

Mystaros

First Post
Soel said:
Heh, I was going to ask about how the Mayfair versions of Judges Guild books stacked up to the originals. Any more insight?

Hmmm... how to phrase this? Let's just say that with the Mayfair edition, the writer somehow managed to rip out all the "Cool" from the City State, and replace it with "Suck," and then cranked the overall "Suck" factor all the way to 11...

Yeah, that about does it.

More specifically, the writer quite literally took everything that made the City State cool... the dirty, dingy, cart-of-the-dead on the street, watch-your-back medieval grunge city feel... and turned it into a "modern style" town, with open greenswards, happy smiling constables, naga sages, and white picket fences. It was a monumental disappointment.

I couldn't quote you chapter and verse, as I long ago disposed of my copy, and ahve purged details from my memory as much as possible.

Mystaros

First Post
Crysmalon said:
Couple notes regarding the Player's Guide since I'm reading through this to prep for my new campaign.

7) Confusing, but I'm not an WoHF expert, that I remember reading in the boxed set that there is no 'common' tongue, yet almost all the human varieties list Common as a language.

When listed with a race, this indicates that a character who gets "Common" as a language will speak the "most common tongue" of the region he or she is from.

On the Bonus Languages by Region chart (page 45) you will see that there are several listed bonus languages per region. The first language in each region is the "common tongue" of that region. "Common" as a language is listed as the first language for the City State; this, and all references to Common (capital "C") in the lists actually refers to Alryan, the "common" (lower-case "c") tongue of the Roglaras, the region dominated by the CSIO.

In other words, the list for Valon should read "Avalonian, Orichalan (Malikarr), Skandik, Alyran [instead of Common], Tharbrian, Aquan (Valon, Coral Kingdom)." This indicates that, unless otherwise noted, a native of the Valon region will speak Avalonian (the "common tongue" of the region) as his version of "Common." A Dunael (Languages: Common and Dunael) raised in the Dearthwood would speak Alryan and Dunael, while a Dunael raised in Valon would speak Avalonian and Dunael. A Common Orichalan (Languages: Common) raised in the CSIO would speak Alryan, while one raised in Viridistan would speak Viridian, and his distant cousin raised in Tarantis would speak Gishmesh.

I'm not sure as to why the language was called Common... it should have been Alryan. This has, indeed, caused all sorts of confusion... :(

Crysmalon

Explorer
On the Bonus Languages by Region chart (page 45) you will see that there are several listed bonus languages per region. The first language in each region is the "common tongue" of that region. "Common" as a language is listed as the first language for the City State; this, and all references to Common (capital "C") in the lists actually refers to Alryan, the "common" (lower-case "c") tongue of the Roglaras, the region dominated by the CSIO.

Thanks for clearing that up - makes good sense now.

Ranes

Adventurer
Treebore said:
Could you tell me which products you bought that you were less than impresed by? There are about 4 that I wasn't so hot about (didn't reallly like) and about 6 more that I would put at OK/average. So I just want to know what you didn't like in case there are some that I think you might like.

Sure. (Hope you're still reading the thread - I've been away a couple of days and missed your question, sorry.)

Well. I'm not going to win any friends for saying this but... Rappan Athuk parts 1-3.

Treebore

First Post
Can you say, at least in general, why? Is it because dungeons like that aren't your thing? Did you not like how it was laid out?

Are those the only Necromancer products you have bought?

Like have you bought Morrick Mansion?

Hall of the Rainbow Mage?

Tomb of Abysthor?

Doom of Lsitonshire?

Can you tell me a couple of modules you do like and why?

I seriously want to know, because if there are Necromancer things you would find worth getting I would like to let you know about them. Like I (think) have said I own all but 2 or 3 Necroamncer products, so I can tell you about them. I also own over 20 of Goodman's DCC's now.

Turjan

Explorer
Treebore said:
Can you say, at least in general, why?
I'm not Ranes, but I never bothered buying Rappan Athuk 1-3. They looked like one big dungeon crawl, and like a less fun one than Tomb of Abysthor. And I'm someone who bought lots of Necromancer products.

Remove ads