• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wildernoss Lore at high levels

Vraister

First Post
Hey,

my druid just turned level 11 and now I'm thinking of its worth to put more points in Wilderness Lore.
I have the Track feat and already 10 ranks in Wilderness Lore. With wisdom I have a 15 in the skill. Above ground it increases to 17 due to synergy from Knowledge Nature.
In wolf form I can track with 25 feet speed and also get a +4 bonus to the check.
So my skill ranges from 15 to 21.
Do you guys would put more ranks in the skill? I'm a bit torn. Its a typical druidic skill but except the tracking I can do all the things in the skill description with rolling a one.

Starglim

Explorer
With higher rolls, you can extend your Survival benefits to 10 or more companions. Also your GM should be thinking about harsher environments that give you higher Survival DCs, or perhaps some kind of contest or quest that makes Survival more like an opposed roll against some supernatural opponent. But I can certainly see your point, it's hard to justify more than 10 ranks or so even for religious reasons.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I read the title as "wildernose."

Having a fantastic tracking skill is great fun at high levels. There's nothing like trying to find tracks, rolling a 40, and having the DM tell you lots of extraneous details. "This ogre has a sore toe and is carrying a sack of something heavy."

Shallown

First Post
Yeah I learned a little about tracking so when the ranger in the group hits a 35+ track roll (group is 15th lvl) I give all sorts of info and such. It can be fun giving out little clues as to what passed this way and watch the players try to figure it out. Its also useful used like a search skill in the sense I let him make rolls to determine how old the dust is in a room and how often people move through it and such, at least at higher levels. Just trying to keep utility in the skill.

later

Vraister

First Post
Hey,
I have only 4 companions so there is no need for a higher Wilderness Lore skill but the thing with the extra information sounds cool. I have to talk to my DM if he is willing to give me more information.

Thanks
Vraister

isoChron

First Post
Hmm, sorry but I think you can't get the +4 bonus while in wolf form because it's described as relying on scent. Scent isn't provided by polymorph (wildshape) any more.

tmaaas

First Post
isoChron said:
Hmm, sorry but I think you can't get the +4 bonus while in wolf form because it's described as relying on scent. Scent isn't provided by polymorph (wildshape) any more.

You still get the racial bonus ("natural"), but not the benfits of the Scent special ability ("Extraordinary").

Lamoni

First Post
If it was me, I wouldn't put any more ranks in wilderness Lore. I like having more well rounded characters. Actually, I like to specialize, but I don't like having a 15th level character that can't even climb up a rope, jump over a 5' chasm, or swim to save his life if dropped into some water.

I like to raise skills to a point where they almost guarantee success in 98+% of situations, then it is nice to have the extra skill points to put in a number of other useful things (climb, jump, swim, listen, spot, hide, ride... actually almost any skill can be useful).

Remove ads