• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wildwood Red in Tooth and Claw [OOC]

Pyrex

First Post
Here's an early draft of my character. I've got a few details to work out yet, but here's what I've got so far:

[sblock]
Code:
[B]Name:[/B]   
[B]Class:[/B]  Psychic Warrior // Soulknife
[B]Race:[/B]   Elan
[B]Size:[/B]   Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Align:[/B]  NG
[B]Deity:[/B] 

[B]Str:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)         [B]Level:[/B] 1        [B]XP:[/B] 0
[B]Dex:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)         [B]BAB:[/B] +0         [B]HP:[/B] 16 (1d10+6)
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)         [B]Grapple:[/B] +2     [b]RP:[/b] 16  
[B]Int:[/B] 12 +1 (4p.)         [B]Speed:[/B] 40'       
[B]Wis:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)         [B]Init:[/B] +0        
[B]Cha:[/B] 10 +0 (4p. -2 Race) [B]ACP:[/B] -0         

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +3    +0    +4    +0    +0    +0    17
[B]Touch:[/B] 14              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 13

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      2    +2    +0     +4
[B]Ref:[/B]                       2    +2    +0     +4
[B]Will:[/B]                      2    +2    +0     +4

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Short Sword                 +3      1d6+2       19x2

[B]Languages:[/B] Common

[b]Racial Features[/b]: Naturally Psionic, Repletion, Resilience, Resistance,

[B]Feats:[/B] Psionic Body, Psionic Weapon

[b]Class Features:[/b] Bonus Feat, Mind Blade, WF(Mind Blade), Wild Talent

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 20       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 4
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Concentration              4    +2          +6
Hide                       2    +2          +4
Listen                     4    +2          +6
Move Silent                2    +2          +4
Spot                       4    +2          +6
Tumble                     4    +2          +6

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]

Explorers Outfit        0gp    0lb
  Std. Leather Armor     25gp   20lb

[B]Total:[/B]            25gp   20lb      

[B]Money:[/B]            75gp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]                 33    66   100   200   500

[b]Power Points:[/b] 5

[b]Powers Known:[/b]
  Lvl  1:  (1) Force Screen
[/sblock]

Kularian

First Post
Fixed the skill-issue. I think that it was attributed to a combination of two things, but it's all sorted out now. Also, since the reflex-save added to dex bonus idea is in effect, the leather armor my character had was restrictive, as leather has a max dex bonus of +6. So I swapped it out for padded, which reduces my AC by one, but is now 'legit.' :p

Code:
Victor von Blacke
Tiefling - Medium Humanoid
Ranger 1

Str 16 (+3)
Dex 20 (+5)
Con 14 (+2)
Int 12 (+1)
Wis 10 (0)
Cha 10 (0)

Mov: 30'
Init: +5
BaB: +1
HP: 12
AC: 21 (+1 armor, +2 shield, +5 dex, +2 ref, +1 dodge)
Fort: +4
Ref: +7
Will: +0

Attack: Longsword +4 melee (1d8+3), Shortbow +6 ranged (1d6, 60ft), 
Spiked Large Wooden Shield +4 melee (1d6+1)
Grapple: +4
Feats: Dodge, Track
Special Abilities: Favored Enemy: Outsider [evil], Wild Empathy, 
Darkvision 60ft, Darkness 1/day
Special Qualities: Resistance to cold 5, electricity 5, and fire 5

Skills:
Appraise (0) +1
Balance (0) +5
Bluff (0) +2 (+2 racial)
Climb (2) +5
Concentration (0) +2
Craft (Bowyer) (4) +5
Diplomacy (0) +0
Disguise (2) +2
Escape Artist (2) +7
Forgery (0) +1
Gather Information (0) +0
Handle Animal (0) +0
Heal (0) +0
Hide (2) +9 (+2 racial)
Intimidate (0) +0
Jump (0) +3
Knowledge (Planes) (4) +5
Listen (0) +0
Move Silently (2) +7
Open Lock (1) +6
Perform (0) +0
Ride (0) +5
Search (0) +0
Sense Motive (0) +0
Sleight of Hand (1) +6
Speak Language (2) (Infernal, Dover)
Spot (0) +0
Survival (4) +4
Swim (0) +3
Tumble (1) +6
Use Rope (1) +6

Languages: Common, Infernal, Dover
Equipment:
Longsword (15gp)
Shortbow (30gp)
Quiver of 20 Arrows (1gp)
Dagger (2gp)
Padded Armor (5gp)
Spiked Heavy Wooden Shield (17gp)
Artisan’s Tools (2gp)
Belt Pouch (1gp)

Extra:  27gp

Background:
Victor has led a life full of unfortunate occurrences. It all began when he was born, which he believes to be unfortunate enough on its own. The Infernal heritage, which had remained hidden for a great deal of time, decided to show itself with his birth. The midwife nearly dropped the child when a pair of red eyes stared out at her. From that point onward, Victor and his family were shunned by the rest of the village. They tried to make do the best they could, but eventually, the pressure grew too great for Victor’s mother and she fled town, leaving him alone with his father.

At this point, the Infernal blood asserted a bit more presence in his form, and two horns protruded from his scalp. Desperately, he and his father tried to destroy them, but to no avail. Soon after, his father fell ill, and the young boy desperately tried to plead with the others in the village to help him, but none would risk helping the devil-child. Because of this, his father passed away, leaving the young boy all alone at the age of thirteen.

But despite all of the anger and resentment shown to him by the townspeople, he himself bore no disrespect toward them. It was the demons of his ancestry that had cursed him with this fate. Vowing to destroy them all, the young boy left his village, armed only with a stolen shortsword that he had ‘borrowed’ from the town blacksmith.

For years he wandered the countryside alone, defending himself against fierce beasts with nothing more than the determination to move forward. As he grew, he developed a talent for fighting, born from necessity. Also, when he needed food or other provisions, he learned what people did and did not believe, and grew accustomed to disguising himself in the cursed world, so as to not attract attention.

As he grew in bravery, he began asking for any rumors of any devilish creatures. What rumors he found were normally just Lemures, devil servants, but once in awhile did he manage to find an Imp. Thus was his way of life, traveling about, hunting whatever devils he could find.

Money was scarce, and his travels were often filled with long periods of boredom. Normally, he practiced with his weapon, but he knew that only true combat could further temper his ability. So he set about picking up a trade of sorts. By appearing interested, he gained a bit of information about the process of making a bow, and decided to try it for himself. While his first few attempts were nothing short of embarrassing, he started to understand how it went, and eventually crafted the shortbow which he now uses.

One day, a rumor came to him about a powerful devil who resided in a long-forgotten keep. Not one to delay, the young Tiefling left as soon as he was able. The keep turned out to be nothing more than a ruined tower, but such a thing he could not pass up. Inside, he found a creature wreathed in chains, and immediately recognized it as a fairly powerful devil. Before he even had the chance to attack, though, a chain wrapped around his leg, hauling him up into the air. With the barest of efforts, it tossed him out of the tower, sending him sprawling upon the ground.

Getting to his feet, he was about to try again, when the cawing of a bird caught his ear. Confused, he turned to look as a black cloud of avian creatures descended upon him, the world becoming nothing besides loud cawing. Then there was silence. As Victor opened his eyes, he was slightly astounded to find himself in a forest of sorts. A large forest, for that matter. But where was he?

After stumbling around for what seemed like days, he happened upon a small village of dog-like humanoids. They helped him to recover, and Victor found himself slightly amused to find that he rather liked this place. He would not end his hunting of devils, but in this world, no one knew him, and seemed to accept him for what he was, not what his ancestry held. Perhaps he would like it here…

Mithran

First Post
Sorry I didn't manage to get my character up last night. Now it's going to wait until tonight, at least, as I'm going to be away from a place I can work on it for pretty much the rest of the day.

Voadam

Legend
Pyrex,

Looks good mechanically but I'm not sure where the 40' speed comes in. Elans are 30' base move. Anything I'm missing?

Voadam

Legend
Mithran said:
Sorry I didn't manage to get my character up last night. Now it's going to wait until tonight, at least, as I'm going to be away from a place I can work on it for pretty much the rest of the day.

Not a problem.

Voadam

Legend
Voidrazor,

I looked over mechanoids and armor adepts last night.

Mechanoids I'll have to figure out an LA, they get a lot of immunities similar to an elemental. Book of Templates Deluxe 3.5 might have some elemental templates that will be similar, I'll check those out when I get a chance. I would make them type construct and since they are sentient I would remove the immune to mind affecting spells (though they are not humanoids subject to charm, hold, or dominate person, etc.) as I have for other non-mindless constructs, plants, and undead. Have to figure out whether to go with null con stat, bonus construct hp, and reducing point buy by 1/6, or an effective pseudo-con stat with no bonus construct hp.

Was your concept a size large mechanoid or medium? This will affect LA.

For armor adepts I kind of like the idea of armor that gets better with levels in a D&D world, similar to Kensai, Ancestral weapons, Weapons of Legacy, etc. with just different flavor. For a mechanoid adept I can see a storyline of programming being screwed up on entry to Wildwood and reaccessing capabilities as the character levels, energy defenses, jets, some weapons, detection tech, etc.

The tough part is balancing the armor powers with comparable ECL D&D characters, particularly at low levels.

A big armored robot brick dealing with a D&D world works fine for me as a concept and with enough LA I can see it balancing against a tiefling ranger. Turning him mecha with guns and missiles and enough defenses to replicate high level magic gear would be tricky in the extreme to balance.

I am inclined to agree though that armor should not have hp, I generally would go with the standard D&D rule that armor cannot be targeted for sunder.

Let me know more about what you are thinking for armor powers and character concept.

Pyrex

First Post
Voadam said:
Pyrex,

Looks good mechanically but I'm not sure where the 40' speed comes in. Elans are 30' base move. Anything I'm missing?

Oops. I originally had Speed of Thought but later swapped it for Psionic Body when I realized how many [Psionic] feats I'd be taking...

Kularian

First Post
So we've got:

A Gestalt Human Knight/Cleric
A Gestalt Dwarf Barbarian/Ranger
A Gestalt Elan SoulKnife/Psychic Warrior
A Gestalt race? Rogue/Psychic Warrior
A Tiefling Ranger
A Mechanioid Armor Adept

One interesting, and fairly varied party. :p

Remove ads