• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Will you buy 4e?

Will you buy 4th edition?

• I will buy it sight unseen

Votes: 283 38.9%
  • I might buy it, after initial reviews

Votes: 163 22.4%
  • I probably will not buy it, but might eventually

Votes: 172 23.6%
  • I absolutely will not buy it

Votes: 63 8.7%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 47 6.5%

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Since Wizards' last RPG core book release was one of the best since D&D 3e and a significant step forward to the d20 system, I'm trending 'yes.' However, my final judgment will be neither sight unseen nor based on reviews - it will be based on the system, which will no doubt be extensively previewed as that for Star Wars Saga was.

I have no emotional attachment to the name, no trouble getting a group for any game I've wanted to play in the last five years, and no reason not to play different types of games if I couldn't find a group with a system that suited me, so the quality of the design is really all that matters to me.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I don't see it in my future. I will certainly follow the news with interest. But as I've said elsewhere, a) I have so much 3e stuff I couldn't use it all in my lifetime, and b) I have little faith that the accompanying digital initiative will be all that great, particularly the character generation parts of it. Just based on their track record with such.

Probably not.

I didn't buy 3.5; I stuck with house-ruled 3.0, and eventually moved away from 3E/d20. I'm currently having a great time with OD&D, and also running some C&C.

Whether I buy 4E depends on what it's like. If it's more like pre-3E D&D, I'd be very tempted to get it. If it's more like 3E/d20, then I'll pass. I doubt WotC will go "my direction" with 4E, so I think it's likely that I'll sit this one out.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
I can absolutely guarantee that a lot of the "Absolutely yes" votes will change to "Nah" by the time it's released, and a lot (probably even more, to judge by precedent) of the "Never!" votes will change to "Yes" once we learn more about it.

I agree completely. That's why I couldn't voted for the "Yes" or "No." I settled on probably not.

I'm much like Eric Noah. I've got tons of material that has yet to be used. I have books that have yet to be used in a game! And, perhaps the kicker ... I'm content with my hacked up Buy the Numbers pseudo-version of 3.5.

But, 4e could surprise me. But the more I think about it, there is one thing that i hope they didn't do ... and I fear they did. Per encounter spellcasting. If it went there, then it'll be too viseo-gamey for me. Who was it that said it really well in another thread? Spell per encounter management will simply mean that everyone starts out at full HP every encounter. Because who wouldn't heal after each encounter if your spells are refreshed so quickly? If it went that way, it is highly unlikely that I'll be following.

TessarrianDM

First Post
After spending over $1000 on 3.5 rulebooks and another $2800 on miniatures from Wizards alone (not to mention buying nearly every novel they have released), I just do not see myself going through that again. Especially since I have done it four times already!

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
Per encounter spellcasting. If it went there, then it'll be too viseo-gamey for me.

Just OOC, because I'm a very active consumer of console RPGs and a big fan of per-encounter mechanics, what video game has them? I'd really like to get a cite on that so I could try it out, because the ones I'm familiar with almost invariably use a spell point/mind point system where it refreshes only at save spots.

I suppose most Tactics/RPGs use a hybrid spell point/per encounter system, now that I think about it.

drothgery

First Post
I checked 'I'll buy it sight unseen'. That's not quite true, but it's close enough.

If the previews really turn me off, I won't buy it. But I just don't think that's likely; if WotC produces something I think is an improvement on D&D 3.5 -- whether it's a '3.75e' incremental improvement or the Star Wars Saga Edition inspired major update I'm expecting -- I'll buy at least the core books.

Remove ads