Winter IrondDM (Winner)!

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Yar, you'll have to earn that Spring Iron DM.
[cracks knuckles]

Great job everyone. This was a lot of fun to read all the way through. A big hearty thanks to incognito for judging it.

Oh, and thanks to his Amazing Ingredient Machine as well...

John

incognito

First Post
And what do you mean by "strategies"?

I belive the "mythagoes" of ,EN World, once they fine tune, will rule the roost. The "old guns" in an effort to out do themslelves, either get too wordy, or psyche themselves out.

How do you think VAX was able to win 3 in a row?

Round robin (I think) it means everyone plays everyone.
Sometimes the best record wins, sometimes it's a points thing. This would be a bonus IronDM anyway

Last edited:

Indigo Veil

First Post
She's a pretty finicky player, and that's pretty high praise.

<gives a grin that the Cheshire would be proud of> ...Mreow? =^o.o^= (<---- that's a kitty. ^.^)

I'm glad that seasong won, since he really is a good DM who deserves some attention and appreciation, but I have a few other things to say (and I hope no one minds):

Quickbeam, your use of the hydra ingredient simply captured my heart as a player, fickle though I may be. ^_^;; I read that, and my jaw dropped open at the creative use of the ingredient.

Greybar, your first round was really awesome, too--I totally didn't envy incognito his job of judging the round.

I was really impressed with a lot of the writing, especially since the contest has some pretty harsh rules on word count. Some of you did such a good job of imparting the flavor and feel of your worlds, and I actually became so immersed in them, that I actually felt somewhat saddened when the entry ended. (Greybar, you're one of the people in this category)

I'm new to EN World (I'm only here because seasong alerted me to its existence), and I'm usually here only to read seasong's story hour, but I will definitely read through the entries of the IronDM stuff from now on. Thanks, everyone, for exposing me to something new, and for sharing with me some really amazing reading material.

Lastly, incognito, great job on judging...you don't seem to cut anyone any slack, and I can't believe how incredibly *thorough* you are. I'm sure you must devote a lot of time to each and every entry you receive, and *god*, the detail you put into your rationale! Good job. ^_^

Thanks again, everyone!

seasong

First Post
Originally posted by incognito
I belive the "mythagoes" of ,EN World, once they fine tune, will rule the roost. The "old guns" in an effort to out do themslelves, either get too wordy, or psyche themselves out.
Ah... yes, I agree. Absolutely.

I can do succinct, but it takes me too long to compress. Give me a week, and I can put together a 500 word thing of beauty, but when I'm just concentrating on getting it all down, expansion is the name of the game.

People with a natural talent for clarity at short lengths are going to eat my cake. And, if you'll read my posts earlier, I thought they should have done so this time.

On the other hand, the size of my entries has wavered up and down, but has stayed pretty close to a range of 1700-2300 words, so I wouldn't say I'm outdoing myself in length.

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
A quick idea for an alternative way to select Iron DM contestents...

This is designed so that people who check the message boards only three or four times a day still have a chance to get in and play.

Instead of automatically letting the first 8 interested people play, you could take the first 12 "I want in!" folks and randomly select the 8 players and 4 alternates. This might get a little fresh blood in the game.

You could call it "Roulette Style Iron DM" or something.

Just a thought, from somebody who's wanted to give it a shot several times and only just now gotten as far as "alternate..."

Last edited:

seasong

First Post
Actually, incognito already did something for this: he posted, a few weeks prior, exactly when he was going to open the IronDM to contestants. It took an hour and a half to fill, so there was plenty of time for occasional checkers there, if they set their calendars and checked somewhere between 12:00 noon to 1:00 pm EST.

Of course, I say this and I'm one of the worst compulsive checkers out there :eek:.

Remove ads