• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wish via a Spell-like ability, any limit on XP spent?

CyberSpyder

First Post
In terms of overall consequences, that's probably a good way to handle it - the players don't feel cheated, but they also don't end up with a campaign-destroying super-artifact.

Technically, though, I would point out that it says that wish creates the magic item.

daBooj

First Post
So... is there anything against my cleric gating in a noble djinn, trapping it and demanding wishes from it.

then wishing for a nice +5 brilliant energy, dancing, flaming burst, ghost touch, icy burst, keen, mighty cleaving, shocking burst, speed, spell storing, thundering, unholy, vorpal, wounding heavy mace?

I can't find out why I couldn't do this (djinn's are even extraplanar), and since I'm in an evil campaign that is there for munchkin-y-ish behavior... I might give this a whirl.

course the dm will probably say no and that would be fine, but is this do-able by RAW

Artoomis

First Post
CyberSpyder said:
And if it was intended to be limited to 'normal' magic items, that would be as simple as putting "non-epic" before the word 'magic.' Since an epic item is still a magic item, a strict reading of the rules means that you can create epic magic items with Wish.

Combine that with the Dweomerkeeper, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I don't think that is required. "Epic" items are special by there very nature and you can't just make them unless you have some epic way of doing it. I thikn the epic rules say something along those lines.

Artoomis

First Post
There is a limitation on creating magic items:

When a wish creates or improves a magic item, you must pay twice the normal XP cost for crafting or improving the item, plus an additional 5,000 XP.

Also, you cannot lose a level spending XP in this way.

Now all you have to do is find a way to apply that to this situation. That's a bit tricky. How about use it's equivalent level to put a limit on what it can grant with its wish? Either that or allow only an item up the normal $$ limit for the character.

This one is a bit tricky and some comon sense must be used.

Last edited:

IcyCool

First Post
Artoomis' suggestion of using a creature's ECL to determine what magic item it can create is a very good one.

And to the folks who are saying an over-reaching wish should reward the player in some way, or at the very least not be twisted:

The wish spell dictates what can be wished for safely. Wish for that, and you are probably good. If you wish for something more than that, the spell states that "such a wish gives the DM the opportunity to fulfil your request without fulfilling it completely. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment.)"

The DM twisting an over-reaching wish is following the rules.

Here's how I'd handle some various wish methods:

#1. You are a caster wanting to cast an over-reaching wish. I'd have you make a spellcraft check (DC19) and, if successful, tell you that your wish will not come out as you are intending it to. It might only be partially fulfilled, or it might be twisted into something you don't want. If you still cast the wish, then you are asking for trouble. But you are certainly still welcome to do it. :D

#2. You are a caster who has bound an evil creature and are attempting to bargain with/force it to grant you an over-reaching wish. Such a creature will do its best to mess with your wish. An appropriate knowledge or sense motive check will reveal this to you. If you still cast the wish, then you are asking for trouble.

#3. You are a caster who has bound a good creature and are attempting to bargain with/force it to grant you an over-reaching wish. If lawful, the creature will flat out tell you that it cannot guarantee that your wish will come out as desired. If the wish is particularly wonky, the creature will most likely not grant such a thing voluntarily. If chaotic or neutral, the creature will tell you that your wish probably won't come out how you want it to, but heck, let's try it and see what happens! If you still cast the wish, then you are asking for trouble.

#4. You are casting/forcing someone to cast an acceptable (PHB list) wish on a fairly regular basis. Have you ever heard of a Quarut? No? Well, they protect reality and the timestream. And thanks to your efforts, they've heard of you. They also don't take too kindly to fools who alter reality willy-nilly. If you still cast/force someone to cast wishes on a regular basis (I'd give you an appropriate knowledge or spellcraft check to have an idea), then you are going to be hunted down and rendered incapable of doing it anymore (usually death).

Arravis

First Post
I believe in this situation that the PC's helped a good creature (the Noble Djinn) and it wants to reward the PC's for their good actions. So there's no forcing or coercion involved.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
IcyCool said:
Artoomis' suggestion of using a creature's ECL to determine what magic item it can create is a very good one.

The wish spell dictates what can be wished for safely. Wish for that, and you are probably good. If you wish for something more than that, the spell states that "such a wish gives the DM the opportunity to fulfil your request without fulfilling it completely. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment.)"

The DM twisting an over-reaching wish is following the rules.

But unlesss you implement some house rule along Artoomis' lines, using an SLA wish to create a magic item of any market value is within the 'safe' guidelines.

-Hyp.

CyberSpyder

First Post
Artoomis said:
I don't think that is required. "Epic" items are special by there very nature and you can't just make them unless you have some epic way of doing it. I thikn the epic rules say something along those lines.
Unless you can actually find such a passage, I have to disagree. Epic items are magic items. Wish creates magic items. That's all there is to it.

Sledge

First Post
the problem is that there is errata in the PHB. In reality there is supposed to be a final notation. "Any time a character attempts to be sneaky or abusive with the wish spell, the DM is required to turn into a RatBastard."

Remove ads