• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Witch Bolt (but good)

mellored

Legend
IMO:
A beam of crackling, blue energy lances out toward a creature within range, forming a sustained arc of lightning between you and the target. At the start of the creatures turn it takes 1d12 damage. You must spend an action to sustain this effect on the following turn or the spell ends. The spell also ends if the target is ever outside the spell’s range or if it has total cover from you.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, both the damage increases by 1d12, and the range is increased by 10' for each slot level above 1st and the range is increased by 10'.

Ganymede81

First Post
IMO:
A beam of crackling, blue energy lances out toward a creature within range, forming a sustained arc of lightning between you and the target. At the start of the creatures turn it takes 1d12 damage. You must spend an action to sustain this effect on the following turn or the spell ends. The spell also ends if the target is ever outside the spell’s range or if it has total cover from you.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, both the damage increases by 1d12, and the range is increased by 10' for each slot level above 1st and the range is increased by 10'.

I'm not sure that's balanced. Try this version instead.

A beam of crackling, red energy lances out toward a creature within range, forming a sustained arc of lightning between you and the target. At the start of the creatures turn it takes 1d12 damage. You must spend an action to sustain this effect on the following turn or the spell ends. The spell also ends if the target is ever outside the spell’s range or if it has total cover from you.

Sacrosanct

Legend

A beam of crackling, red energy lances out toward a creature within range, forming a sustained arc of lightning between you and the target. At the start of the creatures turn it takes 1d12 damage. You must spend an action to sustain this effect on the following turn or the spell ends. The spell also ends if the target is ever outside the spell’s range or if it has total cover from you.

Man, yellow never gets any love...

Bad Fox

First Post
I wonder if WotC eventually looks at doing a revised release of 5e, if they'll do a comprehensive survey to measure satisfaction with individual spells?

Hmm. Maybe that wouldn't even be necessary. I feel like enough questions and comments would have accumulated about problematic ones to make them stand out.

Yunru

Banned
Banned

I'm not sure if this was influenced by the removal of all but Somatic components, but I hope it was :p

Remove ads