With 5e here, what will 4e be remembered for?

A thought.

I'd long heard it said, before 4e, that when people talked about 1e, they would say something like:

"In my game, there's this dungeon. . ." where the game was reputedly focused on huge, sprawling dungeon crawls, with fiendish traps and sometimes nonsensical dungeon ecologies. To this day, vast dungeon crawling seems to be referred to as a sort of retro-1e feel.

Then, for 2e, the stereotype was that people would say:

"In my game, the setting is. . ." where 2e was known for its focus on big, vast, lush settings. This was the age that gave us Forgotten Realms becoming so truly vast, that gave us Planescape, and in my experience at least a lot of monumentally large homebrew settings that had buckets of backstory and lore, so much that most campaigns would never get to use most of it. In later edition eras, it still seems like bringing back 2e settings is popular and evocative of that 1990's gaming era.

Then, for 3e, the stereotype seemed to be something like:

"In my game, we've got this feat/prestige class. . ." where 3e was known for its huge amount of very modular rules "crunch" where it seemed like every single setting, official or homebrew, in that era was known (and somewhat defined) by its feats and prestige classes. Every homebrew setting game I joined, the DM had a few classes and feats that were unique to their setting. Every official setting, the book (or Dragon article) was sure to have a couple of each. The popularity of these elements really helped fuel the spread of d20 gaming it certainly seems.

So, with 5e dawning, and 4e about to go into the history books of D&D lore, what will it be known for? What was unique to it, what was the aspect of it that set it apart from prior and future editions?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Edition Wars, of which I hope this thread remains free. :cool:

For me, 4E brought out the tactical side of D&D. When I remember the 4E games I played, what stands out the most are how players resolved the tactical combat situations.

Obryn

Hero
Game design? :angel:

Hopefully if nothing else, its legacy will be that Fighters (and other weapon-using characters) can do awesome stuff, too.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
"Yeah. I can get that to work"

4e will be known for "eventually" creating a system that allowed for many type of character archetypes found in herioc fantasy dungeoneering either by default or with a little work by the DM in a mostly balanced manner. Many sacrifices and sacred bbq was made to do this however.

But it would be known as the edition where you can have you can have golden minotaurs with laser eyes weilding soul drinking grappling hooks as players and monsters and have the least amount of fear about allowing it.

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
In my game, we fought this one battle on the back of a great wyrm gold dragon with all these demons flying at us from all sides and, oh yeah, we were flying through all the planes in succession--the Shadowfell, the Feywild, the Elemental Chaos, all of them--each with different effects and terrain. It was frickin' crazy, man, people were pulling out all of these awesome moves and combos. I mean the fighter was just killing it! People were dropping and getting back up thanks to the bard and warlord. So we get done killing all these demons. We'd spent most of our dailies and encounters. And you know who shows up? Frickin' ORCUS, man! We're were all like "Dude! That's ORCUS!" So we have our dragon run for it and Orcus starts chasing us. Our wizard was using her knowledge of the planes to guide the dragon, while our bard was shouting encouragement, our rogue was throwing stuff at the demon lord to distract him--everyone was doing anything they could think of. We finally got far enough away to catch our breath, heal up a bit, gain our encounters back, and hit a milestone--AP, baby! So then we said, "Screw Orcus!" and we had that dragon turn and fight! Man, it was EPIC!

Or something like that.

kmack

Explorer
I think it'll be remembered (by DM's at least) for the ease with which a ref could improvise at the table. For the first time in my experience (which started with BECMI and 1st Ed AD&D), I could run a creature entirely from its stat block without having to cross-reference any other ability.

I think those who enjoyed tactical miniatures combat will remember it for its fairly clean and usually fun rules supporting tabletop play, and those who didn't will remember it for forcing them to use the minis against their will.

I think it'll be remembered for digressing from canon, probably further than many players enjoyed (elves were suddenly Eladrin, Ethereal and Astral planes gone, etc.) many things that didn't "feel like D&D."

I think it'll be remembered by third-party content creators as an edition that threatened their businesses by removing a license they relied on.

In all, a mixed bag that did a some things right and other things not-so-well. It seems to me that its lasting impact will have arisen from both the positives and the negatives: An emphasis on streamlined, table-ready rules systems (which seems evident in the 5E design) arising from some of the things they did well, a rekindled respect for the 40 years of canon that underpin the system (which I'm also feeling in 5E) arising from reactions to their attempt to rewrite it, and (hopefully) a renewed respect for the importance of third-party content creators to the ecosystem as a whole (I imagine we won't really know how this has gone until the licensing terms are released in the new year.) arising from seeing a restrictive license push so many small businesses into the arms of a competitor.

That's my guess, anyway.

Remove ads