• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

wizard in plate armor?

Mirtek

Hero
Level 26 wizard with +6 Chain (+18 AC) will have a 41 AC

Level 26 wizard will likely have a 25 intelligence so in +6 leather he'll have a 37 AC.

So 1 feat for +4 more AC at mid epic levels isn't a bad deal for the wizard. It'll also be much easier to have a 13 str by then too.

But at lower levels sticking with leather is clearly the best answer.
Even at higher levels the heavy armor is not needed.
The level 26 wizard with +6 spiritchain will get +18 AC from his armor.
The level 26 wizard with 25 Int and +6 starleather will get +17 AC from his armor+ability-mod.

It's only one single point difference

Stalker0

Legend
Even at higher levels the heavy armor is not needed.
The level 26 wizard with +6 spiritchain will get +18 AC from his armor.
The level 26 wizard with 25 Int and +6 starleather will get +17 AC from his armor+ability-mod.

It's only one single point difference

Yep, and in general +1 to AC is considered the cost of a feat, so a wizard "might" consider it.

Conjurer

Explorer
Implement mastery in Staff will grant an extra +1 to AC. So: +4 (Int) +2 (Armor) +1 (Class) to 17... same as Scale Mail. And the ability to increase the AC as an Interrupt once per encounter. Nifty, IMO and no need to waste a 13 in STR to get Hide armor.

Stalker0

Legend
Implement mastery in Staff will grant an extra +1 to AC. So: +4 (Int) +2 (Armor) +1 (Class) to 17... same as Scale Mail. And the ability to increase the AC as an Interrupt once per encounter. Nifty, IMO and no need to waste a 13 in STR to get Hide armor.

Or...you could do both the staff and the heavier armor.

I'm not saying that heavy armor is awesome for a wizard or anything, but for the wizard who wants to go that route its an option that can have some bonuses. At least up to scale, a 13 str might be managable, a 15 str for plate is really starting to push it.

Gort

Explorer
Number-crunching aside, the idea to get rid of restrictions on wizard armour is one I'm very glad made it through to 4e.

Jasperak

Adventurer
Number-crunching aside, the idea to get rid of restrictions on wizard armour is one I'm very glad made it through to 4e.

I'm not, but I'm glad that the game doesn't expect a wizard to use heavier armors or even really give any benefits for using them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads