• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard spellbook question

MrGrenadine

Explorer
In the Compendium's Wizard entry, under "Daily and Utility Spells", its says "After an extended rest, you can prepare a number of daily and utility spells according to what you can cast per day for your level. You can’t prepare the same spell twice."

So, for instance, my 9th lvl wizard can memorize three dailies. However, it doesn't specifically say that my wizard can't memorize both the dailies or utilities of the same level, although I must be missing where it says this is prohibited.

Can anyone point me out to the appropriate text?

Thanks in advance!

webrunner

First Post
In the Compendium's Wizard entry, under "Daily and Utility Spells", its says "After an extended rest, you can prepare a number of daily and utility spells according to what you can cast per day for your level. You can’t prepare the same spell twice."

So, for instance, my 9th lvl wizard can memorize three dailies. However, it doesn't specifically say that my wizard can't memorize both the dailies or utilities of the same level, although I must be missing where it says this is prohibited.

Thanks in advance!

The trick is you have to take the whole paragraph together. It efines "according to what you can cast per day at your level" a few sentences earlier as: "You begin knowing two daily spells, one of which you can use on any given day."

mneme

Explorer
It's in your quote. "According to what you can cast per day for your level". You can't cast more than one up to 9th level daily, one up to 5th level daily, and one first level daily.

aco175

Legend
Am I reading this right and you want to drop your 1st level daily to take two 9th level dailies, or even find a way to add another 9th level spell to your book and take all 3 of 9th level and skip the 1st and 5th?

I thought I saw something about one of each level. I do allow characters to go down and take two 1st level dailies, or 5th in your case, but not allow the power to go up. I would even allow to take the same spell more than once, at the lower level.

Thanks in advance!

You are able to cast 1 1st level, 1 5th level, and 1 9th level daily. Thus you cannot prepare for instance 1 5th level and 2 9th level dailies. You CAN however prepare for instance 2 1st level daily and 1 5th level daily since the rules state you can select a power of a level lower than what you are entitled to. You simply cannot prepare the exact same spell twice (so you can't have Flaming Sphere 2x even though you can have 2 1st level daily powers). The same considerations obviously apply to utility powers as well.

MrGrenadine

Explorer
That makes sense. So my wizard *could* memorize one lvl 1 daily and two lvl 5 dailies, (and zero lvl 9's).

Interesting....

Thanks, everyone!

Aulirophile

First Post
Spellbook is confusing. I'll go over this once.

The level you learn the daily is important. If you pick two level 1 dailies as your level 5 "slot" then you can mem either of them as your "level 5 daily." Each time you gain two dailies, at the end of each extended rest, you can pick from either of those two dailies for your slot for that level (this is why you see people retraining a daily out and then picking it again at a different level).

There are two PHB FAQs that address and still fail to fully clarify the issue for many, many people.

MrGrenadine

Explorer
The level you learn the daily is important. If you pick two level 1 dailies as your level 5 "slot" then you can mem either of them as your "level 5 daily." Each time you gain two dailies, at the end of each extended rest, you can pick from either of those two dailies for your slot for that level (this is why you see people retraining a daily out and then picking it again at a different level).

Oh, I see what you're saying. But it doesn't seem to say that in the Compendium. Where are those faqs you mentioned? I'd like to take a look.

Remove ads