Wizardru's Story Hour (updated 11/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Len said:
A standard balor? LordV, you're falling down on the job. WizarDru needs your help, man!

See, his point was...the normal vanilla Balors just weren't as big a source of concern as....well, THEM. The irony of referring to a general of the armies of the abyss in the same terms if they were bugbears...well, it wasn't lost of us. ;)

I take it as a point of pride that I can still fashion an encounter that gives the Meepites pause.

Zad

First Post
WizarDru said:
Well, I haven't asked him, but if I were to hazard a guess, he may be waiting until after the next session, since the previous session was relatively short on story details but long on build-up for the upcoming session. Over an hour of build-up and OoC discussion about tactics and consequences and plans....doesn't always translate effectively into interesting story hour material.

This is true but truthfully I have not even really looked over my notes to determine how much I have to work with.

The fact of the matter is that I'm up to my armpits in alligators at work. Not the occasional business that delays me a day or two - this is bad. I have some serious problems and not to overshare but it's causing me some significant stress and other problems. I'm a good one for leaving work at work, so when I'm running jobs around the clock for a few weeks, it's pretty bad. And I have to admit that I'm not holding up very well at the moment.

I'm sure I could at least get a teaser out of what we did last time, but the sad truth is that the story is the last thing on my mind right now. My apologies to all you readers - I wish I was doing better with this but right now I'm not, and I don't want to overstrech and give you crap material for the sake of having posted something.

Zad

First Post
Yay! It's our annual message board crash. We've lost five months worth of activity here.

I'll try to figure out what's what and start reposing the end of the campaign.

Zad

First Post
Strange Bedfellows - Chapter 4 and 5

Strange Bedfellows – Chapter 4 and 5

Author’s Note:
Typically this story hour has followed the convention that each chapter/post represents a single session of play. However due to the demands of real-life and increasing difficulty of finding a play date that all the Meepites can make, this edition actually covers two play sessions. I’ll label them Chapter 4 and 5 for consistency however.

OOC Notes:
Chapter 4 exp was 3000xp. (I assume this is for 25th level characters, not sure on 26)
Chapter 5 exp was 15,505 for 25th level characers, 11,140 for 26th.

This Week’s Adventures:
The battle had drawn no shortage of attention. I could see at least twenty scrying sensors scattered around, and when I actually stopped to look the number became more like forty. We began scouting around for anything of significance, and came across some papers and a map. The map itself was magical and somewhat cryptic but it seemed to indicate that there was something significant about this location. We began to suspect that perhaps a primal was located here and we searched for an access point to confirm our fear. As Dravot and Aethramyr walked around, bones became to come up through the ground wherever they walked. It was more intense when Dravot investigated the root cellar of the farmhouse. Near the bones, it was possible to discern souls, wispily tied to their mortal remains. There was no doubt that something was buried here.

Scorch debated a number of spectacular ways to remove the rickety farmhouse from the site, and ultimately just gave up on the fireworks and started digging, shifting to the shape of a variety of large burrowing beasts. As he did, more bones started rising up in a ring around the entire site. There were thousands of bodies here, but no indication as to why. Finally we put

Primal of light.

We still had more demons to deal with, so we resolved to separate and deal with personal business then meet up in Brindinford to continue the hunt. Waiting for Dravot were some unusual guests.

It was fairly obvious that something was amiss by the way the household staff was acting. Now one must remember that these people by now have a somewhat higher tolerance of the odd, and yet were still put off. They weren’t panicking, just uncomfortable, which suggested that whatever the problem was, it had been going on for some time. They were very polite about the Lord’s “guests” but some direct questions finally brought out that “something” was in the gardens waiting for Dravot. Valanthe investigated and found two inevitables. As if that wasn’t strange enough, they had been modified and altered. They were standing still, just waiting.

Valanthe decided to be direct. “What do you want here?”

They cocked their heads and looked around. One said “Terribly sorry for the inconvenience – we must be addressing Valanthe since we cannot register you, lawbreaker.”

Valanthe’s reflexes from days gone by were quick to respond. “Lawbreaker? You must be mistaking me for someone else.”

The inevitable was deadpan. “You died and returned, correct?”

Valanthe said “Yes…”

“Lawbreaker.”

Valanthe went on. “What is your purpose here?”

That turned out to be a very difficult question to answer. Inevitables are driven by purpose, but these two found themselves without one. They could not remember their function – their programming has been rendered invalid. And so they are creatures of purpose that have no purpose. Dravot joined Valanthe and could see two judges flanking each creature. Their faces were impassive as always and yet they radiated an aura of boredom. The judges were prodding the inevitables from the ethereal with their staves, attempting to banish them. It did not work but they continued to try anyway. They looked like they had been at this for days but their mandate allowed no sense of futility.

Dravot had no idea what to do about all this, but invited them to remain until other matters could be settled. The evening brought a pleasant feast with the Lord’s return and in the morning we resumed our hunt for the Khel-Hr’dad.

We exercised a variety of contacts and determined that the two remaining forces had merged in the Yeomanry and we quickly picked up their trail. They had fortified their position in an apple orchard and farmstead. There were patrols in the air and on the ground, but we slipped past them without much trouble and found the main force. There were over ten thousand dretches, several large balors and a variety of standard balors, mariliths, and so on. Valanthe began a reconnoiter to locate the yugoloths and their cloaking apparatus.

In a silo, she found one of them. It was vaguely like an insect or tortoise – it was covered in a large carapace and on the back were imbedded several large vitaesis crystals. It was spread eagle and holding itself half way up the silo. Valanthe was left with the distinct impression that this one was shielding the force from the Judges.

Then a voice spoke from right next to Valanthe. “Still no sign of them. They have not arrived or they are hidden from us.” Valanthe could hear the voice, but could not see the demon from which it came.

The other demon spoke. “You are too impatient Vynoxa. We need only kill one of them and the bargain will be kept.”

Vynoxa responded “I don’t see how killing one of them will be of any value to us. The godling thing will bring them back.” Valanthe looked carefully but could not locate her. Valanthe realized she was searching for someone who, like her, was touched by the void and who’s skill at stealth was equal to, perhaps even surpassing her own.

“He cannot raise what I ingest. Once I turn one of them into a minion it does not matter if they raise them or not.”

Vynoxa was still miffed. “Was it necessary to sacrifice Zetitch for this plan to work?”

Despite suspending itself in the silo, the demon shrugged. “It was the only way to insure they came for the rest of us.”

“I have been searching for the hidden one but have seen no sign of her. She will be the first one they send. Perhaps we should draw them out by sacrificing some dretches.”

The other demon agreed. “If they have not attacked by tomorrow, then we shall level Greyhawk. Once there are a few thousand dead on their hands, they will come for us.”

Vynoxa snorted. “Henzon, I don’t understand your fascination with that misbegotten city. I say we kill thousands in several cities, not just one. These dretches irritate me to no end either way.” Vynoxa apparently needed no answer to know the answer. “Fine. You sit here and wait. I will look for her again. If she is here, I will find her.”

No, thought Valanthe. No you won’t.

Valanthe waited til Vynoxa had withdrawn, then took out a small device and ran it around the frame of the door of the silo. Then she returned to us and told us what she had seen.

“I don’t like it,” I said. “It’s suspicious. Demons are telepathic – why would this Vynoxa come to the silo? Why converse out loud in a language you could understand? It may have been staged.”

“True,” Dravot said. “But what does it change?”

No one had an answer for that.

“I’ve picked up a new device – I can use it to create a gateway between any two doorways. I’ve tuned it to the silo and we can use another door to enter as if it was the next room.”

The beginning of a plan. The end of the plan went something like “… we’ll rush in and kill them!”

Some days it’s that simple. The number of bad things that can happen grows to such a point that you just can’t plan for them. The only nuance was that Valanthe and I would attempt to use opposed vitaesis to destroy the crystals on the Henzon’s back, and hopefully weaken the cloak so the Judges would swarm in.

We prepared and swarmed through the gateway. The silo was cramped – only ten feet across. But our sudden appearance had Henzon looking down with only a muffled cry of “Mmmmff?”

I loosed vitaesis arrows at the crystals I could see – they were on the top of the shell and I was beneath so at any moment, my view was limited. One of them shattered with a satisfying burst of crystal sound and light, but the other one glanced off. The rest of my volley was at the underbelly but simply buried themselves without reaction.

Aethramyr rose up and unleashed his full fury. Shatterspike nearly shattered the very air it moved with such force. I’ve never seen anything receive such blows, and I was even more astounded to see the wounds did not last. The blood was of varying colors but was quickly squelched off as the blade passed. Outside, there were noises and explosions.

[OOC: Let me lay this out for you: Aethramyr did Smite Evil five times. His total damage for the volley was 659 damage. No, that is not a typo. Six hundred and fifty nine. And this thing was unfazed.]

Scorch piped up “Demon incoming.” One of the new preparations we had set up was a spell that warned of incoming teleportation and would delay the arrival for a few seconds. We were expecting to need those few seconds.

Henzon spoke. “That was… unpleasant.”

Aethramyr quipped “Want me to do it again?”

Henzon said, in all seriousness “Actually… no.”

Henzon twitched and one of the jade vitaesis crystals on its back exploded and shattered to the ground, spreading a green gas along with the crystal fragments. It didn’t seem to have any effect though. Dravot’s response was to strip away the magic protecting Henzon with qualified success.

Behind us, a large balor ripped open the wall and shouted boasts at how eager it was to fight the Paragon. Aethramyr and I looked at each other with confusion. Nobody with half a brain really *wants* to fight the Paragon. Clearly this fellow wasn’t too bright. But we just ignored him and continued our assault on Henzon. Crystals were shattering but we really couldn’t determine if we were having any lasting effect.

Scorch warned of a number of additional demons that would be teleporting in shortly. Inside the silo, Henzon spoke a vile word, but his profanity had little effect beyond making my ears ring for a moment. Then Henzon turned over, and the vitaesis scales exploded in light with varying prismatic effects. Henzon nearly fell though, since Valanthe had been creeping around half way up the silo undermining its hold on the walls.

But while Valanthe crept, something else was stalking her. Vynoxa was undetectable to most of the party, but Valanthe and I both knew she was close. She was stalking Valanthe but the two professionals were nearly equally matched, and each had difficulty keeping constant track of the other.

Dravot decided to attend to some of the reinforcements and spoke a word of blessed joy and light, and outside a great many balors and mariliths either suffered various discomforts or were simply expelled from the plane entirely.

Scorch attempted to imprison Henzon, and very nearly succeeded. The demon was torn away from reality but then snapped back abruptly. “You are not old enough to imprison me, fleshling,” Henzon taunted.

Aethramyr continued to hammer blow after blow upon Henzon. Two legs broke free of the wall and plaster and rock showered down as it tried to stay suspended. But still Henzon did not seem to be suffering for the punishment. It blasted the roof off the top of the silo trying to open an escape route.

The large Balor was still howling to fight Aethramyr, ripping at the wall to clear a path and outraged that it was being ignored. Dravot flicked a ray at it and it was sorely weakened from the energy. Suddenly it seemed far less anxious to fight than it had been a moment before.

I was becoming worried about Valanthe – if we lost track of Vynoxa for too long it could be someone’s death. An explosion of gold dust filled the silo, and Vynoxa was revealed. (I should note that when I say “revealed”, it’s relative. Her consummate skill still made her difficult to spot for most of us, but to Valanthe or me, she was completely exposed.) She seemed to be at least part night hag judging from the fangs, and she bore a longsword coated with ichor and had a large crystal in her cleavage.

On the ground, Dravot spoke again and more demons suffered or were banished. This battle had raged for only a few seconds but so far, no creature had died and no advantage was showing. But this was changing. With all the Henzon’s gyrations, the upper side of the shell was now exposed to me, and I blasted apart one crystal after the next. Valanthe then pounced on Henzon, driving Shadowcut deep into the shell. There was a peeling crack, and the shell broke into a half dozen pieces and fell to the floor, leaving Henzon exposed. It grabbed the wall before falling and tried to plane shift away, but Valanthe managed to distract it long enough to disrupt the spell despite Vynoxa’s attacks on her.

Now was the time where the battle would be won or lost. Lost, in this sense, means the escape of the Khel-Hr’dad, and we acted quickly. Dravot cast a spell to stop all travel in the area. Scorch then put a dimensional lock on Henzon, and I did the same to Vynoxa. They weren’t going anywhere.

Curiosity finally got the better of me though. “You know,” I said, “we might let one of you live if you explain what you’re doing here. Just one though.”

Henzon laughed. “This intrigues us not at all. You are infamous for your eradication.”

I shrugged. “Still, you went through an awful lot of trouble here. I can’t imagine what was worth it.”

Henzon said coldly “The profit far exceeded the risk.”

His last words. Aethramyr brought Shatterspike through a single arc, and removed Henzon’s head from his body.

Vynoxa looked concerned to say the least. She was effectively alone, with the larger balors having withdrew just before. She could not fight, she could not flee, and she could not hide. Or at least so I thought. She took a dagger and drove it into the crystal in her chest, and she disappeared.

“Summoned?!?” cried Scorch with disgust, recognizing the magics. “She was summoned here – she’s back where she came from now, despite our locks.”

“Feh,” I said.

Outside, the Judges were on the scene and doing what they do. We didn’t bother to help ourselves – the remaining demons were well within the Judges power, and we’d done enough of their job as it was. Meltorannan saw us emerge and landed nearby.

“Can any of you control the weather?” he asked. “The dretches have belched a toxic gas in a very large cloud that should be contained lest it find people on the wind.” Bolo wasn’t with us, but Dravot was able to bring the winds to a calm so the cloud did not move until it settled out of the air.

“This situation is becoming intolerable,” Meltorannan said. I just stifled a laugh. “My master will ask for your help I would think. This is the fourth, no fifth time this has occurred. The interdiction is clearly flawed. My master is… unhappy. He would seek a way to redress the problem. But it would require beings of your power to help stop it since it will require someone to go off the Prime to solve the problem.”

“I find it strange that a god would require beings of ‘our power’ to correct a problem in his own domain,” I said with an equal mix of confusion and sarcasm. I didn’t need Meltorannan to know the interdiction was flawed – we’d done nothing of late but clean up messes in the midst of the portfolio of a deity who was born to do specifically that. Of late I have been frustrated and confused at the power of this god who seemed to have more limits than not – something that seemed echoed in our own gods. Perhaps the real problem is that I am still struggling with the idea of the power of the gods. I had always regarded it as an absolute – their will was simply done, and I had never considered “how”. Now, *we* are the “how”, and I’m still struggling with the concept of being the hand of my god so directly. When I allow the thought, it seems arrogant and presumptuous.

Meltorannan was showing more emotion than was typically allowed judges but his ire was not focused on me. “Perhaps I was not clear. My master is very unhappy. We have long suspected the demon prince of deception’s hand in undermining the interdiction. My master feels it is time he was stopped. My master wants you to go to the abyss and kill him. And now we have a direct trail back to Fraz.”

Scorch was leery. “How?”

“Because his summoned creature just returned to him. And we have traced her journey.”

Scorch nodded, his eyes bright. I was still in shock.

Meltorannan continued. “Fraz Erb Lu has generated many enemies lately. He is beset. He has Gra’ast on one side, Rhyxalli on the other. They are all maneuvering against him. Now his plot has failed twice and he has expended a great many souls in the process. He is weaker than he has ever been. If he is eliminated, the problem is eliminated. Now we ask your help in dealing with him. You can of course say no.”

“What help can you provide?” Dravot asked casually. I was still in shock.

“We will provide what help we can,” the celestial answered. “Off the Prime, we cannot do much. We do have allies, but not in the abyss.”

I had started to recover. “We may be able to get allies in the abyss, if Fraz is as beset as you say. But that’s not the point. We’re talking about a demon prince here. A being who is nearly a god and has been layering deceptions for millennia. We cannot simply kill him like some upstart orcish tribal leader.”

Meltorannan seemed to consider this a moment. “I think you underestimate your own efficacy. At least against a demon prince – he is *not* a god. He is also not a great warrior like Gra’azt, nor a great tactician like Demagorgon. He plots, but he is not tactical. The key is getting him away from his infrastructure. Further, if you defeat Fraz, you may find a key to getting Orcus expelled from the Prime. My master would greatly appreciate that. Fraz must have some hand in Orcus’ expansion on the Prime, and therefore he may be set back by Fraz’s destruction.”

The death of a demon prince. The consequences are hard to imagine. Certainly his rivals would be glad for his death, but what else would turn its attention on us? Or our deities? Dravot might be exempt but what would the price would be for the rest of us if we struck down a demon lord?

Zad

First Post
The Reckoning - Chapter 1

The Reckoning – Chapter 1

OOC Notes:
Experience is 1055 for 25th level characters, 825 for 26th, and 570 for 27th.

The Blessings of a God: As revealed in the last session, Ralishaz, god of the Prime and deity in charge of enforcing the interdiction against outsiders on the Prime, has become irked with the repeated manipulation of the interdiction. He has requested that the party pursue Fraz to his recently-discovered lair in the Abyss and destroy him. To support them he has bestowed a boon on them, hearkening back to his previous incarnation as a god of chance and gamblers.

In a word: Action points. (Ok that’s two words.) But not just your average ol’ action points. Wizardru was planning on just using regular action points but for the timely arrival of the Mythic Heroes supplement from Badaxe Games. This small supplement offers an expanded view of action points with the aim of making the players truly heroic. So this is what we’ll be using. Most of us haven’t had a chance to review it in detail yet, but there it is for those of you familiar with it. As for the shadow class feature, Aethramyr is The Hero, Valanthe is The Shadow (surprise), Dravot, Bolo, and Scorch are Oracles, and Kayleigh is likely to be either Hero or Fated. The players each get 15 action points, roll 3d6 for the effect dice, and since the action points are a boon from a god, they do not replenish ever.

This Week’s Adventure:
It was previously our intention to deal with the matter of Therizdun and the Shadow King as soon as possible before something went wrong. With Fraz’s location now known to us, it left us with a difficult question – which foe to pursue. There were complex issues to consider, but ultimately the choice ended up being made for us. In order to deal with the Shadow King, we needed all three theerparts and we finally had them. My fear in delaying dealing with this matter is that somehow we’d lose one or more of them. And that is exactly what happened. There was no trace left behind to implicate her, but it seemed that while we were dealing with the first of the Khel’Hrdad, Vynoxa stole one of the theerparts. The fact that there was no evidence was the reason I suspected her – it was unlikely there were many that could accomplish such a theft, and one of them was Valanthe, so it seemed plausible that her near-equal could do it as well.

So an assault on Fraz it would be. On some level I found the concept ridiculous; Fraz was the prince of deception, and wove plans within plans, misdirection within illusion. The idea that he was suddenly traced was far too convenient to be taken at face value. But it was our habit to push forward despite obvious traps, and we’d survived well enough so far. And so it would be again. The cynical part of me was sure Fraz was counting on that.

But we would not be without allies. Ralishaz could offer little in the way of direct aid or allies, but he did bestow upon us a full measure of his power to manipulate fate. It would doubtless come in handy and could well be a wildcard that Fraz could not anticipate. Even with that, it would be helpful to have allies in a more substantial sense, and ones that were native to the layers of the abyss.

It was hardly a secret that Fraz has been at war with Graz’zt and Rhyxali. Demon princes war on each other, either openly or covertly. But Fraz was supposedly hard pressed from all sides right now, and this was an ideal time to strike according to Ralishaz. (That this may have been a deception created by Fraz was a thought that seemed to enter no ones mind but my own.) However, in this case, the enemy of my enemy was, if not my friend at the every least not my enemy. We therefore set out to try to establish allies by playing demonic forces against each other. Certainly we consider ourselves a force for good in the world, but our morals are flexible, and more importantly, practical enough that this was not a problem for anyone. Were we to try to negotiate specific aid, it would surely devolve into a long, horrific conversation with beings who delight in negotiation and exploitation of contracts. Therefore our approach was simply to inform these groups of our impending action, and let them take what advantage of it they may. At the very least, we hoped it would avoid direct confrontation with demonic forces that were loyal to the other princes, and therefore not of interest to us. And as for secrecy, we assumed Fraz knew we would come, and therefore there was more to be gained by recruitment.

Scorch, as the guild minister, had access to a vast network of contacts to beings of all moral standing. It was a fairly simple matter for him to arrange audiences with representatives of the demonic factions on Sigil. Each maintained a standing “office” of sorts there, so it was simply a matter of facilitating the visit.

Our first stop was with Graz’zt. Not the being himself of course – his presence in Sigil would be entering into a grey area that would not be risked for something that could be handled by a lackey. His offices were in a small brown brick building. Outside a rebus creature was adding bricks onto a wall on the back while various other construction creatures scurried about. The antechamber was an odd mix of sights one would only find on Sigil – three foot warboots next to a cloak and walking stick against one wall, and chairs of all sizes. A set of stairs led upward with a velvet rope politely dissuading the over-anxious. A panel in a wall opened up on a tiny room entirely consumed by a thin desk and a massive demon holding a comically small pen. It didn’t require any understanding of demonic hierarchies to realize this beast was being punished for something.

“Name?”

An odd formality, since I’m sure by now it knew who we were. Nonetheless we complied and waited as requested. In the waiting area was a fire elemental slowly burning away the chair in which it sat as well as a small mephit with an indescribably bored look on its face.

“Looks like we may be in for a wait,” Aethramyr observed.

“No we’re not,” I smiled. “We’re doing him a favor being here and with an appointment no less. If they want to leave us sitting, that’s their choice. But if they don’t see us in a few minutes, then we simply leave. If a lich didn’t beat us, neither will a bureaucracy.”

A few minutes passed, and we shrugged at each other and got up to leave. As if waiting for that cue, a freshly slimed dretch burbled into the room and asked us to follow it.

It took us to a large room with a well-crafted wooden desk and a leather chair, turned away from the door. On the desk was a nameplate – King Krick the Defiler. Once we had entered, the chair turned slowly to show a perfectly dressed vrock, his suit complete with frilly neck tie. King Krick seemed to put some attention into trying to impress supplicants. If he had put as much attention into screening his visitors, he would know better than to waste his time.

“Good morning,” I said patiently.

“Good morning, and welcome,” Krick said.

And then my patience ran out. “Do you know why we are here?” I asked. He surely had some inkling.

“This would be about Fraz then?” he responded warily.

“Yes. Forgive me for violating demonic convention and speaking plainly – we are moving against Fraz. Soon. Your master may find advantage to be gained in this. We are not here to negotiate for any specific aid, merely to inform. At a minimum, we would prefer to avoid open conflict with your master’s forces while on this mission, as it would not serve our purpose. Any inconvenience for Fraz, and hence gain for your master, benefits us both.”

“I understand,” Krick said, somewhat surprised at both the directness and take-it-or-leave-it nature of our information. He was clearly anxious for some haggling but none was to be had. “You should know that your movements are watched in Sigil.”

“We tend to assume our movements are generally just ‘watched’,” I shrugged.

[OOC Note: Quote from Wizardru: “At this point, you guys are Brangelina – you never know what’s going to happen but everybody’s watching because something will happen when you’re around.”]

Krick looked further disappointed. The tidbits of information he had were drawing no curiosity from us, still denying him any chance at bargaining over anything at all. He jettisoned the rest of his currency with some depression. “Also, the Khel’Hrdad are not dead. Their souls have been consumed pursuant to the Bargain. Should you encounter the sole ‘surviving’ member (he waved his claws quoting the word) you should try to avoid actually killing her. I suspect you were planned to kill all three but Vynoxa turned coward and ran.”

I turned to my companions. “Again with the Bargain. Useless.” We had been hearing of it for nearly a year, and still had no understanding of it.

Krick lit up, taking my bait but not offering what I’d hoped. “If you are interested in the details of the Bargain, we can offer that, perhaps for the price of Fraz’s staff, an item of some small power,” Krick lied. The staff was no less than Orcus’ rod.

Aethramyr snorted openly. “Too high a price. We’ve gone this far, we’re prepared to go on never knowing. Frankly, I’ve lost interest in it.”

Krick savored what little give-and-take he got, and we ended the interview. He began furiously writing on pieces of paper in a stack on his desk. As he finished each, he folded it and it disappeared in a puff of flame. He tried to bid us farewell casually but the fury of his writing belied his calm. Obviously not everything about this meeting was anticipated.

Our next meeting was with Rhyxali’s agents. We entered an industrial sector, the stench and foul liquids making Bolo sick to his stomach. In an empty alleyway, a sewer grate showed the number of the address we sought, and we made our way through the sewers for a bit to find the reception slime. Aside from the entire affair being much… gooier, the discussion went much like the first. The slimy black creature with whom we met was unlike Rhyxali in that it showed no interest in negotiating with us. But it did suggest we may find profit in talking with Demagorgon’s forces as well. Rhyxali was not in open conflict with Fraz at the moment, but was in conflict with Demagorgon who was in conflict with Fraz. Therefore any action might indirectly benefit Rhyxali.

It was simple to arrange a third interview, and we were soon standing before a plain looking human in front of a plain desk. As we had just started talking, another man burst in, accusing the man of treachery. Only slightly surprising was that the second man looked identical to the first, and they somehow managed to conduct the meeting while backstabbing each other, first verbally then later physically. When we left, they were rolling on the ground stabbing and/or biting each other, but our information had been delivered and I had no doubt they would stop their fighting long enough to pass it on, or risk their masters ire.

We decided to make one more stop in Sigil to visit Mortimer Fuvex-vex-vex. On our way, we were stopped by more than a few touts, who informed us that Dravot-related regalia was in high demand and they would be happy to take some of it off our hands. (Dravot was not with us – his divine status made him persona-non-grata in Sigil now.)

We arrived at a four story building that had easily thirty people working inside. In the doorway was a large plaque. At the top was a portrait of Mortimer with the caption “Our Chairman”. Beneath were portraits of the six of us and the caption read “Our Founders”.

Mortimer was elated to see us, and we disposed of the fairly modest pile of pillage we had accumulated. To be honest, I was not sure we’d be returning from this trip, and so I wanted to stop in on Mortimer one more time since we were in the area. We then concluded our business and returned to the Prime.

There was a certain sense of dread growing inside me, and that necessitated another trip for me. Even without the ill feelings, I’d have gone home anyway – it was now my habit to always make sure things were well at home before leaving the Prime for any time. (Even though leaving the plane was becoming less and less desirable for me.)

I decided to stop at the palace first, then visit home. The Queen saw me quickly, and had forseen that I would be coming soon. Even without the binder she had a number of other tools at her disposal as well as a sizable information network she created with the aid of the binder. She told me the troops are on their way home. The Mak has withdrawn deep into his own territory and his retreat seems genuine. He has moved further than is sensible to commit to and therefore the armies are recalled, the threat abated for now. She also told me that Celene was safe and there was no sign of any danger.

“There is one other thing, my dear,” she said. “I have seen the Celenean recently. He was asking about you.”

I was puzzled. “Asking? In what way?”

“Asking to see you. As in ‘Hi. How are you? Nice to see you. I know I haven’t been seen at court in two centuries. How are things? By the way, have you seen Kayleigh? Is Kayleigh here? How about now?’ and so on.”

“Ah,” I said, making a note to find him.

I asked the Queen to relay my best wishes to the Princes upon their return and went to my family estates. Where I found the Celenean having tea with my mother. How convenient.

She greeted me warmly and we had a pleasant chat for a bit and enjoyed some refreshments. The Celenean waited patiently and after my mother and I had a chance to chat, suggested he and I take a walk.

We walked and talked. He was always consummately elven and polite, and spent just the right amount of time on small talk before discussing what brought him here. (Of course in this case “small talk” encompasses things like destroying primal demons and horrors from the Far Realms.)

When he was ready, he began. “Two things bring me here. The first is a concern. I do not wish to be rude and beg you will not see me as such. But I have noticed you spend a great deal of time off the plane. I was hoping to gain assurance that your thoughts remain with your people.”

I nodded. “I have spent time away. Truthfully, more time than I would like. I dislike these excursions and more of late. I am troubled when I spend time out of touch with home and often wonder if I am being deliberately drawn away as has been the case at least once already. The Queen has told me that Corellean provides, and that were it unsafe for me to leave, he would arrange a way for me to remain. However I believe that Corellean helps those who help themselves, and therefore I’ve made it my habit to try to make sure that Celene is safe before I depart for any length of time. Our lord is subtle, and his signs can be missed if one does not look. Such is one of the purposes of my visit today.”

He was pleased, even relieved at that answer. “I am glad to hear this. Your answer pleases me more than I might have hoped for. Which brings me to my next topic.”

“My lifespan is not infinite,” he began. “While I guard these woods and this nation as my adopted own, I fear that sometime I may succumb to any number of hazards or entities that may object to my presence. If something were to happen to me there would be no protection for Celene. I want to you to consider following in my lineage. Over time, I would share with you some of my life essence. You have as much time as you need to consider this option. It would require tutelage at my hand for more than a few years so that you can tap the life force of our nation but when you are finished, you would become as I am. Few even possess the personal force of will to achieve this but you are one. You have exceeded most others of your kind and you are a true Champion of your race.”

I considered his words as we walked in silence. He added “At first you would supplement my role as guardian, then eventually replace it. Three others of my kind are left on the Prime, each guarding an elven kingdom.”

Such a thing would take place over the course of centuries or millennia. After some more time walking in silence I said “I will reflect on this, as is appropriate for such a thing. It deserves careful consideration. I am not anxious to relinquish my mortal life quite yet, as there are things I have yet to do. But a thing such as you speak of would take a lifetime or longer.”

He nodded.

I added “I will say that I’m likely to accept your offer.”

And he just smiled with a look that said he kiddingly thought I’d spent too much time around humans.

We assembled the next day, and Meltorannan opened the gate to the layer of the abyss where Vynoxa had been traced to. Heat blasted out of the portal and we were blinded by brilliant white and red light. Enchantments were worked to protect us from the local conditions and we entered the gate. Our boots crunched onto the sand of a brilliant red desert that stretched for miles in all directions. But instead of sand, the desert was made from discarded scabs and torn bloody skin that piled into blood red dunes. The heat was oppressive and hotter than any desert on the Prime. And we all felt a mild rage that, were it not for the abjurations, would have bubbled to the surface.

The outer planes had an unparalleled ability to be disgusting. This was compounded by the fact that magical means of flight were not functioning, necessitating actually walking on the scabs and skin.

Miles away, mountain ranges of black rock were visible in three directions. Past that, I could make out the edge of the demi-plane in one direction.

We had no idea which way to proceed, and basic divinations were being blocked. So we set out away from the demi-plane boundary, guessing our quarry would be somewhere in the middle. Bolo took the form of a red dragon and we began flying along towards the mountains. I could occasionally make out demons in the distance, either on the ground or in the sky, but they would all run and/or hide at first sight of us.

At one point we passed over fifty miles of desert where vrock were torturing people.

We finally reached the mountains, and beyond them was a ravine filled with a fine white sand. In the distance beyond it were more mountains and a sea. (Of what, I dared not speculate.)

We investigated the ravine briefly. The sand was powdery soft, and when touched it would seem to almost change or ripple away as if the force of your foot made a bigger impact than it actually had, but no dust was blown up by walking on it.

And then a scream pierced the ravine. From the mountains, a large creature jumped away from the rock, cutting itself on the sharp rock and leaving a trail of blood in the air. It was twelve feet tall and carried a massive battle axe. It wasn’t a common grade of demon and seemed barely intelligent. Scorch noted it as a Khasep-sa – a nearly unknown variety of demon.

We started attacking, and while the attacks landed, the creature seemed unperturbed. It absorbed my arrows into its body and healed at remarkable speed. It leaped at me faster than anything its size should, and nearly took my head off. Thankfully, Scorch had protected me with a simple low-grade armor spell that was empowered to transvalent proportions and that made the difference. [OOC: yes, epic mage armor.] We kept on attacking and the creature was being ripped apart but that did not diminish its furor.

Dravot spoke a familiar holy word, and the creature was blinded and deafened. Scorch then proceeded to slow it down. Even so the creature was re-assembling itself, and rather than fight it forever, we simply left it – a blinded, deafened, slowed hulk of flesh. By the time it regained its senses, we were gone, heading deeper into the abyss.

[OOC: I’ll just tell you now rather than in a later post: this thing was like a troll with the regeneration but the only thing that could hurt it was itself. In other words (as Aethramyr put it) “I’m gonna rip off your arm and beat you with the soggy end.” There was no reasonable way we’d ever figure that out, and once it was reduced to a quivering mass for a few rounds, we just said “enough”.]

Zad

First Post
The Reckoning – Chapter 2

OOC Notes:
Experience: for 25th level, 5,200. For 26th level, 3,600. For 27th level, 2,800. The spread is due to a couple characters not leveling up holding back for something. Readers, please see the end of this entry for more OOC notes. I don’t want to ruin the events of today’s adventure but there are important notes there.

This Week’s Adventure:
We again took to the air in what was essentially a random direction, heading southwest towards the lower end of the mountain range we were over. So far we’d spent a lot of time flying around but accomplished fairly little. Slowly we were all coming to the same realization, though the sheer oddity of it was making it slow to be said. Someone finally said it -

“We need to ask for directions.”

This turned out to be more difficult than it sounded. Forget the fact that we would have to compel some kind of cooperation from a local resident and then hope they were being honest – we couldn’t even get close enough to any to begin to ask. Any creature of any intelligence at all would make itself very scarce when we got anywhere near it. Valanthe and I were considering using stealth to arrange a more personal conversation when we saw a flight of horned demons in the distance. They were of note in that they were not running away screaming in fear like most creatures we’d seen. They were watching us. And they were doing so from a brazenly close distance. They were within our striking range, and they clearly knew that. But some of them were being put out in front, probably to see what we would do. We attempted to get closer to contact them but they would simply back away, and we eventually continued on our way, unsatisfied.

There is an old adage: It’s better to be lucky than smart. It’s a philosophy we’ve proven sound again and again. And it held true today. In the far distance, I caught sight of a glint of something unusual. We veered in that direction and fifteen minutes later found ourselves nearing a battle.

At first we could just hear horns and start to see smoke. Then we could make out a city, its black minarets carved from the black rock of the mountains. The battle was raging at the city walls, with demonic forces on both sides. Surprisingly, most of the forces were not, technically, demonic. I expected demons, but most of what I saw was humanoids – fiendish orcs, ogres, pyrohydras, and an assortment of larger creatures. And of course lots of dretches so at least something was actually a demon. The defenders were of the same general makeup, but there were a good number of fiendish gnomes.

The mere concept was difficult to grasp. But there they were. Gnomes. Fiendish ones. The notion boggled the mind.

The attackers were gaining ground, but there were devastating arcane blasts coming from one of the minarets, particularly targeting flying attackers. The attackers seemed to be under Graz’zt’s banner, but the defenders banner was unknown – a tiger’s head with jade eyes. Our initial hope that we had stumbled into Fraz’s stronghold faded quickly. Still, we hoped someone here would be able to provide us with some sense of direction. We spotted a pair of marilith commanders in the back and descended towards them. Only moments later, a claw of shadow erupted from each of their chests and snapped their necks. It was irksome. It became apparent that anything that showed itself as a leader in the attackers was quickly and personally targeted.

A lash of arcane energy struck out from the minaret onto the battlefield, and a large gate rose up out of the ground. The doors blew open unleashing a howling wind, bitter cold and snow. The paraelemental plane of ice could be seen through the gate, and the attackers were being frozen in place (or to death) by the ice and sleet pouring out.

So the question was do we join the fight or not. If Graz’zt was attacking, it was likely this place had something to do with Fraz, but we didn’t know what. There was some question as to whether we should help the defenders but that seemed to be unwise. Turning on Graz’zt would not be in our long-term interests here. It took some debate but we finally decided to get involved. The first order of business was to close that gate.

The gate was notable for the range – we’d never seen a gate opened from so far away. And it was quite large. But it was still magic, and Aethramyr was able to dispel it. The doors shut and the howl of the wind stopped as the attackers renewed their assault. But our intervention was not unnoticed. A rakshasa appeared on the field wearing jewel-encrusted chitinous armor. He cast something, and a two-foot pit of inky black came hurling towards Bolo. He was able to barely twist out of the way but it began circling back towards him. [OOC: Yes Virginia, action points can save your life.]

We were surprised at the arcane power of this being and moved quickly. I sent a volley of arrows towards him, expecting some defense to spring into being and send them back at me. I was somewhat surprised when that didn’t happen. All the arrows hit home, and the rakshasa exploded into a pile of snow and ice.

“Simulacrum. Wonder how many of those he has lying around. Obviously he’s projecting his full power through it though,” said Scorch dryly.

We shrugged collectively and moved through the attackers toward the wall. The attackers didn’t know what to make of us, but since we weren’t attacking *them*, they were willing to let us be. Bolo used an earthquake to breach the wall while I idly picked off anyone foolish enough to look out over the wall, and once the breach was made, the attackers swarmed into the city.

As the troops surged forward, we looked for anyone who seemed even remotely in charge. Despite the lack of high level commanders, the army was performing well and still being coordinated by some unseen means. It could just be the level of training and discipline that Graz’zt extracts from his minions. We did settle on a bone devil who was commanding a small platoon. Just as we started talking to him though, a new problem showed up.

Rain. Acid rain. Burning, caustic acid, with a surprising intensity. The power was enough to draw a nod from Scorch, who quipped “Transvalent. Powerful, but it can’t possibly last long at this intensity.” Bolo shifted from red dragon to black, and spread his wings over us so we could continue our conversation.

“Who’s city is this?” we asked.

“This is the city of Karugoza, one of Fraz’s chief lieutenants. They process slaves here for sale in other layers as a source of income. For a hundred gold, you can buy a human.” Once he mentioned it, we suddenly realized that dotted among the warring sides were escaped slaves fleeing for their lives. Many had been killed by the acid but there were plenty of others who found cover and resumed their flight once the rain stopped.

Dravot bowed his head and uttered a brief prayer. The slaves all throughout the city were covered in a glowing yellow light, and when it faded, the slaves were gone, returned to the Prime.

The bone devil looked at him with unmasked exasperation. “There go the spoils of war,” he sighed.

“So where will we find Fraz?” we asked.

“I have no idea. We’re here on a tactical mission – our objective is to make things costly for Fraz, not face him. Of course we had planned on adding some of that capital to our own war chest,” he frowned.

“Will this lieutenant know where Fraz is?” I asked.

“I would assume so,” the devil said.

“Excellent! Let’s go ask him where Fraz is,” I said to the group.

Everyone nodded happily and we turned to enter the city. Not being one to repeat mistakes we asked over our shoulder “So where will we find him?”

The devil gestured “Well his simulacrum are all around, but you’ll know him when you find him – he’s the one immune to elemental effects. I would say that if you started destroying the palace down that road there, you’ll probably get some kind of reaction out of him.”

We smiled at that, and thanked him and went on our way. I’m quite sure he had no idea what to make of us.

The palace was easy enough to find. And it was really no stronger than the walls of the city. An earthquake collapsed on corner, and the “reaction” wasn’t far behind. Another armored rakshasha appeared, and it quickly met the same fate as the first one. Then another, which was also quickly eliminated.

Then a massive door to the inner palace creaked open, and a huge meaty hand appeared. In it was a gnome.

Yes, a fiendish gnome.

The hand flung the gnome in our general direction. Bolo, whether overcome by instinct or just unsure of the threat, snapped up the gnome in his draconic jaws.

“Wait a second,” said Aethramyr. “Why a gnome?”

The hand reappeared, with another gnome. It flung this one towards us as well. Curiosity overcame us, and we just watched as the gnome flew in a high arc, then smashed into the ground and rolled within a few paces of us. An excellent shot really, leading me to conclude that perhaps this kind of thing was practiced around here.

The gnome in question rolled over slowly and with great effort, and groaned. “My legs. I can’t feel my legs.” Then he whimpered a bit.

We just looked at him, puzzled.

“Ugh. Oh…. This hurts. Ok. Wait. Just a second. Almost…” and he groaned and turned towards us. “Ok. There. Now, WHAT DO YOU WANT?” he said with a sob at the end.

Ah. A messenger. Excellent. “We want to know where Fraz is,” Valanthe said. “If your master tells us, we will go away. If not, we will continue to cause havoc here, and probably kill him.”

“Oh. Ok. Well… oh no.” He had a sudden realization, then steeled himself. “Ok. I’m ready. Throw me back.”

Dravot, either out of charity or because he wasn’t sure the gnome would survive the return trip, healed the gnome a bit. Then Bolo picked him up in a claw and flung him back to the door. Unseen to those inside, Valanthe followed the gnome, as he crawled and scraped his way back in the door while the meaty hand held it open.

Inside she saw some ogres, a ready supply of more gnomes, and two rakshasa. They looked at the gnome with contempt as he tried to crawl towards them then collapsed. One looked up “I have retrieved the information from his mind. They seek Fraz Erb Luu.”

The other rakshasa nodded. “They could have said so sooner. They killed three of the master’s simulacrum. The first was expected, the second considered. The third one was just rude.” The other one nodded in agreement.

“Are we alone?” the first asked.

“Yes. I am sure of it. The master is very concerned about their assassin. But she is not here. I am sure of it.”

Valanthe suppressed a giggle. She observed one of the cats have a mental conference with some unseen third party, then he spoke. “The Rajah has made his decision. I shall go speak with them. Should they decide to be… rude, and it’s quite possible they will, it falls to you to deliver a message using less dignified means,” he said, looking at the gnome.

“Oh god not again,” the gnome squeaked.

The ogre opened the door and Valanthe followed the rakshasa out. His paws were raised as he approached us. We waved him closer.

“My master, the Hollow Rajah bids me speak with you. According to the tool you sent back to us, you seek the location of Fraz Erb Luu. Is this true?”

“Yes it is,” said Dravot.

“Clearly you understand the difficult position of my master should you fail to destroy Fraz Erb Luu. His situation will become more tenuous. Already this has been costly. We will have to abandon this city. I know you don’t really care. Your assassin’s knife is probably at my master’s throat even as we speak. Your magekiller is well known to our kind.”

They were very scared of Valanthe. Not that this was unwise but it seemed particularly focused.

I said “The way I see it, your master has two choices. He can tell us what we want to know, and risk problems in the future if we fail, or he can refuse, and guarantee the attention of our assassin right now.”

Dravot had a keen observation. “Wisdom suggests that you should tell us yourself, so that your master can deny it later if need be.”

The rakshasa nodded, surprised at the guile from a mere human. “You are wise to appreciate the subtleties of the situation. Very well. Which Fraz Erb Luu do you seek?

We looked at him blankly. Because we didn’t know.

“Erm, both?”

He nodded, unsurprised at our unfeigned ignorance. “You can find the Enraged Fraz Erb Luu in the city of Zoragmelok, down river from this city. The other, more refined Fraz Erb Luu is in the Great Temple of Krantis, a thousand miles west of Zoragmelok, where his cultists dwell.”

“Thank you,” I smiled. And we turned around and left. Valanthe couldn’t resist brushing the flat of her blade against the back of the raksasha’s neck before withdrawing.

Scorch has heard of Zoragmelok – full of horrific things and illusions of entire neighborhoods. That Fraz was certainly much closer and therefore the obvious choice.

I hate obvious choices. So did everyone else. There was no disagreement – we set out for the Great Temple.

The Great Temple was over 1,500 miles away. Even at dragon speeds, it was taking quite a while. Bolo’s shapechange spell was due to run out soon, and so he and Scorch switched places and we continued on with Scorch as the dragon. There was some grumbling at the notion of doing such manual labor but there was no help for it so he acquiesced.

It took hours to get there, and on the way we saw an ocean of some kind. And it wasn’t even blood, or pus or anything disgusting. Eventually we started flying over dense jungle, and that slowly gave way to signs of scattered temple structures under the canopy. On a plateau was a huge central dome. And then we saw another battle in the jungle. This one was less focused on physical violence and more concentrated on arcane exchanges. After studying it for a while, I determined there were actually two armies attacking from opposite sides. That more than the banners said it was Demagorgon’s forces. Both armies were covering ground fast and were almost racing to get to the central dome first.

Fortunately they weren’t faster than us. We began casting spells as we grew closer and then Scorch dove hard on the dome and smashed through. It was unsubtle but we saw little point in sneaking about.

The interior was nearly covered in cultists and their sacrifice victims. Some grand ceremony was underway and it was obviously complex. Most of the sacrifices were already dead. At the center of the dome was Fraz, standing over an altar with Vynoxa bound on it. He had a dagger in one hand and the theerpart in the other.

He looked up with genuine surprise. “Er, I wasn’t expecting you for a while. This could have been timed better. You were supposed to kill “me” first.” He pointed in the general direction we had come, his meaning clear. “This is really inconvenient. I don’t suppose you could come back later? Say in about an hour? Thanks! Oh and if you could destroy some of those attacking demons on your way out, that’d be great.”

We didn’t really need to answer that, but I did. “We’ve been following your plans for so long that I think you can see your way clear to forgiving us this one deviation.”

Fraz sighed heavily “Oh well.” Fraz shuddered and grew six feet, dropping the dagger that was now a small needle. He now looked more like his other self rather than what we had been used to seeing. And the battle began.

I fired the first volley, then Dravot opened by disenchanting Fraz. Aethramyr closed in and did what he does best. Fraz was now bleeding from deep wounds and it was a fine start. Scorch tried to make Fraz dance, and Fraz obligingly started shuffling his feet a little bit before stopping abruptly and winking at Scorch and shaking his head. By then Valanthe had come in behind Fraz and opened up a few gashes of her own which were joined by a second volley of arrows from me.

Fraz hissed at the pounding and lashed out at blinding speed. He slashed at Aethramyr, trying to disenchant Shatterspike (which failed) while disenchanting me with a quickened spell. It removed most of my own spells but those cast by Scorch and Dravot were intact.

Fraz was thinking fast and acting faster but he was without support and clearly unprepared for us. Aethramyr was building up to his full fury and smote the demon prince several times. [OOC note: Aethramyr was pacing himself and didn’t do a full suite of smites. He did 385 which is not a record but still quite respectable. I’ll note here that everyone was making full use of the action points we were gifted, enhancing rolls and so on. Aethramyr and I both invoked our hero ability and had +10 on all stats which had a potent impact.]

Valanthe moved in again, and Shadowcut struck deep. There was a sudden popping and Fraz’s body burst outward, echoed by a blue ripple of magic that tried to disenchant everything it touched. As it went, the very plane itself shuddered, and began reverting back to the white sandstuff that was the primal matter of the abyss. The disenchantment passed over some areas where powerful beings held the local area intact, but for the most part it blasted outward to beyond even my range of vision.

As abrupt as the physical change was, there were other changes just as potent. The seething rage scratching at the edge of our minds was gone. The blocks on teleportation and flight were lifted. When we came here, I was convince we’d have to weed through layers of deception until the actual Fraz was dead, and there was nothing that would convince me that we had killed the actual one. But I had to admit, the plane had spoken. It was no longer under Fraz’s control, and this more than anything made me think we had succeeded.

“That’s it?” I asked. “That can’t be it.” Still I couldn’t deny the evidence around me. If it was a ruse, it was a masterful one. Even I was becoming convinced.

The theerpart dropped quietly to the ground. The sand in the area began turning black and vile. We isolated it in a container, but not without a disturbing discovery. The theerpart – an object that was immune to all manner of things and magic – had been altered. There were tiny cracks where none had been. Minute isometril seals had been set into the stone with seals of Fraz, Orcus and Hextor. And we were sure that Vynoxa’s sacrifice would have injected her soul into the stone, to alter it in some way. The consequences of that alteration were unknown but we were sure it was something that would be most undesirable. Vynoxa was likely still bound to this ritual, and were she to be killed, it would still have disastrous effects. Scorch put her into stasis, and stashed her in his magic chest. She would have to be protected for now until we could undo the taint on the theerparts.

Dravot was the first to make the observation. “If the plane is no longer held by Fraz’s will, then the other Fraz must be destroyed as well.”

Bolo and Scorch agreed. But where was the staff? Oh no…

Since there were fewer restrictions, we were able to bring more tools to bear and faster transportation. Scrying and teleportation quickly brought us to Zoragmelok. Or more properly, the site of Zoragmelok. The city was gone – nothing but white sand remained, except for a black staff shaped like a twisted human in agony or supplication. It was likely that every remaining demonic army on the plane was racing here to find this staff. Seeking to avoid that confrontation, and since we had no other business here, we decided that it was time to be going.

Scorch opened a gate and we went to the Prime. The journey was like pushing through a torrent of a freezing river. We finally appeared, and we were surrounded.

Around us were six inevitables. Each one had a poleaxe leveled at us. Behind each inevitable were two judges, but they were different. Each had a similar poleaxe rather than a staff.

There is much to be said for being fast to react. It can, often, make the difference between life and death. Eventually one becomes so fast that rather than reacting immediately, you have the luxury of waiting, knowing you can still act quickly enough to save your life. So it was here. The last time we encountered inevitables, they tried to kill us, but rather than attack, we just twitched slightly and waited. It was only a fraction of a second before the axes were raised and pointed away from us, and for most people it would have been no time at all. But we were not most people, and I think we might have destroyed half of them before the axes were raised had we acted.

The inevitables and judges moved aside and we saw the Gambler who was walking purposefully towards us, his hand extended. “I’ll be taking that,” he said, moving towards Fraz’s staff.

I stepped in front of him, offended and determined. “And what if we do not chose to give it to you?”

There was a quick mental exchange on our link, questioning why I was doing this. Valanthe quickly said “I’d like to hear the answer to that question too.” I wasn’t the only one who was slightly offended.

The Gambler stopped, and lowered his hand, and his expression softened. “I’m sorry,” he apologized genuinely. “May I have the staff please?”

“Better,” I said. “What do you intend to do with it?”

His patience held firm, which was a good thing. If these beings were going to ask for our help, they were going to be polite about it. I, for one, was not going to be treated like an underling. It’s an offensive thing in elven society to ask for help and then not appreciate it. “We will destroy it. I give you my word that within a minute of taking it, it will be destroyed.”

“A fine answer,” I said, and stepped aside.

“And what about a little… compensation?” Valanthe asked. Old habits die hard.

The Gambler was unperturbed, and knowing Valanthe as he does I would have been surprised had he been. “The compensation is freedom from reprisals from other demon lords.”

Valanthe shrugged, that not being quite what she was hoping for. We each seek rewards and only the manner of compensation differs. I insist on some courtesy and gratitude. Valanthe prefers thanks she can spend. I certainly won’t fault her for that.

“You have secured Vynoxa?” the Gambler asked. Scorch nodded. “Good. Do not kill her. She is still linked to the theerpart and they are all corrupted. It would be bad. We will begin work on repairing the parts but in the meantime she must not be harmed.”

“I’ll make sure she is out of circulation for a while,” Scorch shrugged.

“If you hadn’t guessed already, you should know that the rules have now changed. Thanks to the new cooperation of a certain diety who has generally not been speaking to us until recently,” the Gambler emphasized his words at Scorch making it clear that Boccob was the god in question. Scorch was indifferent – Boccob may hold sway over magic and mages but mages, and Scorch in particular, were not the worshipping type. “The interdiction has been strengthened. Loopholes have been closed. Meltorannan has been given freer reign to enforce violations.”

The consequences of the new accord were already apparent. Hopefully it would cut down on some of the problems with the first interdiction.

“Well, what about Vynoxa then?” Scorch asked.

She was a clear violation, but one that they were willing to tolerate. (The mere fact that they were capable of making exceptions now was noteworthy.) The Gambler said quietly “Bury her. Bury her deep. Then bury the shovel. Make sure she’s not found.”

Scorch nodded. He’d make sure there was no way to find her until we were ready.

“We have a further request if you’re interested,” the Gambler said, remembering to ask. “Given the new cooperation of A CERTAIN DEITY we can now remove the major issue that has troubled us. This deity has finally been convinced Orcus is part of the problem and in two weeks we will now wipe Rauxes clean.” His eyes glowed slightly at the thought of removing this thorn in the side.

“We could send a human army. Or we could ask you.”

More OOC Notes:
We are approaching the endgame. The Savage Sword of Meepo’s To-Do List ™ has been growing shorter and this week we saw the elimination of a major item. It is Wizardru’s expectation that the duration of the campaign is on the order of a handful of sessions. I mention this here so that the readers can set their expectations and understand the scope of the events taking place. The end is near please do not be sad. Yes, we are all slightly saddened, but this campaign has been running for around five and a half years, and I believe is the most successful campaign that any of us have ever had the pleasure of being in. I hope you enjoy the final installments as much as we will enjoy playing them. And we will continue to play in existing other campaigns as well as a new one.

Zad

First Post
Interlude

Interlude

I still wasn’t sure what to make of the entire trip to the Abyss. On one hand, it seemed too easy and I was still unwilling to believe that we had actually vanquished Fraz. Even, so, it seemed to be true. It wasn’t as if we woke up one morning and went – the events today were the culmination of years of circumstances and were executed to perfection by what I was beginning to realize was one of the most powerful tactical forces on the Prime. Were we more powerful than gods? No, certainly not (well except for one of us). But we were also not as limited as they were. The gods viewed us as allies, not lackeys; The Gambler’s reaction showed me that. And so we did what we were well suited to do.

Even though the trip was short, I had much time while flying over endless desert to consider the Celenian’s offer. Since the attack on Rauxes would not begin for two weeks, I had plenty of time to return home and consider it further. Truthfully, I only had one question left.

I arrived at the family estates and was happy to see my father had returned, meaning the armies had returned as well. They were glad to see me back safe and it was a happy homecoming. We enjoyed some tea and talked a while and I reassured them I was safe.

“So your mother said you were gone again on something important,” my father tried to ask casually.

“Yes, I was. Fortunately it went well and I’m back,” I answered.

“She didn’t have a chance to give me the details though,” he prodded.

“That would be because I didn’t give the details to her.” I turned to her and said “I didn’t want to worry you overmuch.”

After a few moments of silence my father gave in. “So what were you doing?”

“You won’t believe me,” I said over my cup.

“Of course we will dear,” my mother said, surprised, my father nodding.

But they wouldn’t. “You know of Fraz Erb’Luu, the demon prince of deception?” They nodded they did. “We went to destroy him in his lair on the Abyss.”

Silence followed. After several long moments I said quietly “I told you.”

The reaction on my father’s face was easy to read. He knew we were powerful but he had no idea we had reached this kind of height. Eventually his more tactical mind engaged. “I don’t think you did. You killed something and Fraz wanted you to believe it was him, but he escaped. It was a deception.”

I smiled. “This is what I was prepared for as well. There was little that would convince me his fall was genuine. But upon his death, the entire plane fell from his control and reverted to the primal matter of the abyss. This, and the recovery of his staff, convinced me.”

They didn’t entirely follow, not being very familiar with planar travel. But they accepted it, even if they didn’t understand what it meant for their daughter.

I left them to ponder it. “If you’ll excuse me, I have someone else to pay a call on now that the army has returned.”

I took my time getting to the palace since there wasn’t a rush. It was more crowded and busy than it had been in recent weeks but I had no trouble being seen. I found the Queen with the two Princes in the library-turned-war room.

“Your Majesty, your Highnesses,” I bowed.

The Queen was smiling warmly as she bid me rise. Aran’gel had a small but happy grin. Melf just seemed curious.

I informed them briefly of the demise of the demon prince. The Queen was unsurprised but the Princes were a bit more baffled.

“But this was not my purpose in coming. If I might impose upon you and steal away your son, Your Majesty? Surely his business with You can be done later?” I asked.

The Queen had no objections and neither did Aran’gel. Melf said nothing, but he was appraising me with a new eye.

Aran’gel and I spent the afternoon and evening together catching up. It was very pleasant and very relaxing. In many ways it was like reconnecting with home. In the morning he asked “So how long will this go on for you?”

“I’m not sure. Not long now I think. There are but a few more things that need tending too. Orcus and Rauxes is the first and that will be in a fortnight. Until then, I need to pay a visit to the Celenean.”

He looked disappointed – he was hoping I’d be around for the two weeks.

I tried to reassure him. “I’m sorry my love but this visit could have a deep impact on Celene’s future, as well as my own, and likely yours as well.”

We parted and I returned to the field where I had first met the Celenean. I found him there meditating, waiting for me.

“Good morning,” I said. “Care for a pastry?”

He took the offered breakfast and we sat down, exchanging pleasantries. When he was ready, he asked the question. “I’m surprised to see you again so soon. I thought you might take some years to decide.”

I shrugged. “And I might still. But as has been observed, I’ve been too long among humans. I have one question and it will answer much for me.”

He nodded. “Ask.”

“If I accept this mantle and undertake this change, will I still be able to have children?” I waited for his answer, surprised at how tense I was.

He only smiled slightly. “Yes, you will. They will be born as elves of course, not as I am and you would be.”

I released the breath I hadn’t realized I was holding. “Very well then. I have two weeks until a war begins. Shall we begin?”

He was almost offended. “Two weeks? This is no time at all. It will take centuries. You will learn nothing in this time,” he said dismissively.

“The journey across Celene begins with a single step,” I replied. He grumbled but ultimately we began.

--------------------------------------------

It has been nearly the full two weeks and I must join the others for the attack on Rauxes soon. My progress has been… interesting. Though the Celenean would say “remarkable”, “unprecedented” and frequently “impossible”.

We had just concluded meditating and he was looking at me perplexed. I raised my eyebrows in question and he threw up his hands. “I simply cannot fathom this. What you have learned in weeks should have taken as many centuries. I am concerned for this but it is what it is.”

I shrugged. “I think perhaps I was simply ready. Perhaps even over-ready. There is still centuries of learning, but I have started to understand more than I had expected in this time. But now is a time of war. It’s far past time that the undead legions were wiped off the Prime.”

“What you have learned should help. Return to me at your leisure, though you have seen much of the path now and can walk far on your own.”

“Thank you for all your gifts. I shall try to use them well.” I turned to go but he stopped me.

“Before you go off to war, you might want to fix your hair,” he said casually.

“My what?” It was only then that I noticed my hair had turned from black to snowy white, like his. “Oh,” I said, and changed it back to its former color. “Perhaps I’ll leave it white in a few centuries” I smiled.

He waved and I left to visit Aran’gel one more time before going to war.

Zad

First Post
The Reckoning - Chapter 3

The Reckoning – Chapter 3

OOC Notes:
Exp is 8,000 for 25th, 6,350 for 26th, 4,350 for 27th.

This Week’s Adventure:
We gathered ourselves at Ru’un Khazai on the appointed day as had been agreed. Meltorannan appeared and told us the general battle plan; the attack would start in six hours. A massive influx of power from the Judges would wrench Rauxes back to the Prime completely. There will likely be a massive shockwave and the effort will weaken the Judges for several hours. The weakened Judges will still be able to deal with the general fiendish population, but will not be able to vanquish any powerful creatures. The roads from Rauxes will defended by a force of paladins to the north and by a group of 5 score of Dravot’s knight-followers to the west. We will come up the south road, and do what we do well.

We transported to the scene, and I could see in the ethereal Judges spread along the border of a shimmering haze that defined the edge of Orcus’ influence. Within the realm, it was dark, almost dusk, but I could see the black walls of Rauxes in the distance.

As one, the Judges raised their halberds and there was a crackling sound. Then Inevitables began appearing around the perimeter and they added their power to the assault. You could feel the building of a tremendeous power, as if it was slowly drawing in air for a massive effort. Then after a pause, the energy was released. The ground vibrated and the air shuddered. The haze began withdrawing slowly, forced back by divine decree. The frontier moved slowly – mere inches at a time, but it was accelerating. We watched and waited patiently. As the border retreated, zombies began clawing their way out of shallow graves and the land shuddered in revulsion at what it had become.

It was done, or at least it had begun. The Judges were weakened, and it was time for us to do our part. We advanced.

We took our time about it, not knowing what defenses were waiting for us. One thing was sure – Orcus knew we were coming, and therefore we should not underestimate what might be waiting for us. Bolo had conjured a small army of elementals and shamblers we would use as a skirmishing force but Valanthe was the one to take the lead, not them. Our caution was shown correct when Valanthe identified a series of intensified death traps so powerful they made us wonder who might have set them. We skirted around them and continued towards the city.

The city proper was coated in a wall of inky black shadow. We considered various means of going around it or through it, and Bolo began digging a tunnel underneath it. To the northeast, there were two large obelisks flanking a half-buried pyramid. Some kind of activity was happening there as there were swirls of sand churning and coalescing – likely some kind of defense being raised.

Scorch, having used an enchantment to warn him of danger, called out “Something coming!” and leapt aside. Out of the ground exploded a twisted monstrosity. It wasn’t overly large, and looked like a human statue made of wax and half melted, save that it was flesh. It floated off the ground, an umbilical cord trailing it down the hole it had left. Squirming out of the hole were after it were five black worms – Nightcrawlers.

The nightcrawlers began shrieking and wailing but it had no impact – we were warded against their cry. The twisted creature’s umbilical moved like lightning and lashed at me but I was able to narrowly avoid it, thanks to the powerful armor spell Scorch had cast on me. If it hadn’t been for that, it may have snapped me in two, Celenean or not.

The nightcrawlers were a very powerful undead creation, but Dravot was still Dravot; he destroyed three of them, and we began our counterattack.

The fight was short, brutal, and horrifying. The creature itself – an atropal – was vicious and fast but I managed to stay one step ahead of it. Eventually it gave up on me and chased other prey but by that time it was too late – the damage it inflicted was minor, and we were able to overwhelm it.

Bolo resumed his digging while we kept watch. The weather began shifting unnaturally and in the distance I could hear a dull roar and see tornadoes forming. Silhouetted against the sky, I could see giants walking in the wind as if it wasn’t there. There was so much power in that storm it was surely transvalent and it was better avoided than braced.

Bolo called that he had broken through to the undercity and we hustled into the tunnel before this storm could orient on us.

Rauxes had a substantial undercity, and while we wandered into it via blind luck, it seemed like a good area to attack from. We began making our way through the tunnels and sewers towards the central dome of the city. At one intersection we saw two sentries in green steel armor. We silenced them before they were able to raise any alarm and moved past them. Further on we saw a set of worn stairs closed off by an iron gate.

The appearance however was an illusion, and beneath there was a ward upon the stairs that carried the power of an artifact. Something of this power would certainly have a key or power source and that source would not be far away. And that’s as far as we got before we saw him.

A noise from the north alerted us he was coming. It was almost as if he was drunk the way he sloshed and staggered around. As he moved past one tunnel, a skeleton rose up out of the water behind him. It grabbed a rusted sword from under the water and stabbed him through the midsection and he shook and fell over into the slimy water. Then his hand reached out and grabbed the skeleton’s leg and pulled it down as his other hand reached up and crushed its skull. He got back up and staggered towards us.

We concealed our presence through various means and waited fro him to get closer. He wore a hood and dark cloak and clothes that might have been very fine once. Red splotches consumed his white skin, showing he suffered from the Red Death – an old plague. I decided to risk a probe and opened my thoughts up to his mind.

I immediately recoiled. There were at least three conversations in his head, and one was simply screaming “NO NO NO” over and over. It was full of paranoid delusions and bizarre visions, including some few of us. I was stunned from the assault but he did not seem to notice my brush against his twisted mind.

He walked up to the gate and grasped the bars. Blue fire sprung into being all around him and he screamed and shook. It blew his arms off and he fell backward into the water, dead.

Or not quite. The arms began slowly rolling towards the rest of the body and his form gradually reformed. We revealed ourselves and watched.

He looked around with fear. “What?!? Who are you? Where have you been? I’ve been waiting and waiting. Are you all traitors? Are you?!? ARE YOU?!? You’re trying to betray me. You would. All of you.”

His ramblings continued in much the same vein. It was clear that he wouldn’t be saying anything helpful unless his mind and body were healed. But strangely, this proved impossible. Aethramyr was unable to cure his disease – the power would simply not come when he tried. And Dravot was not able to heal him either. He was forbidden.

Perhaps it was logic, or recognition, or divine inspiration, but Dravot realized it first. He said flatly “It’s Ivid.”

“That’s OVERKING Ivid!” the madman screamed.

Ivid was, it seemed, cursed to this existence by the gods for his crimes. And he was quite mad. We attempted to talk to him or deceive him into helping us but there was no point – he was mad beyond use. But he was sane enough to try to use us.

“Go! Kill those in the temple. If you do, I will take you to the throne room and reward you. Look for the screaming pillar! Beware the Sand Kings though. They betrayed me too. Betrayers! All of them! And you.”

We didn’t actually discuss it. It was more that we just looked at each other and shrugged and set off towards the temple. We emerged from the undercity at the grand forum. Fortunately there were no sand kings but a sandstorm was raging to the south, where we had been. Most of the architecture was destroyed and the city was nearly a total ruin. Dravot pointed out that most of that was done before the undead got here – Ivid’s madness was severe and there were times when fiends openly walked the streets and dozens were killed daily on suspicion of treason. In the square was a sixty foot pillar of black rock. When someone was declared a traitor, their face was pressed to the rock and it would steal their soul. Their face would appear on the surface of the pillar with their soul bound within. This was the Screaming Pillar and was one of the few enduring signs of Ivid’s madness left.

The temple was behind it, a three story structure for the parts that weren’t collapsed. All manner of debris was piled up against the temple as if somehow trying to contain it. The windows had been filled in with magically shaped stone. Symbols of Bocoob were defaced or destroyed on the outer structure. Rows of undead servitors waited around the temple, weapons at the ready. Over the roof was a wall of force.

But the temple was not the most pressing issue. Shortly after we emerged into the square, there was a hellish roar to the north. A dark shadowy form spread its wings and took to the sky, slowly banking southward. It was a red dragon and I could make out a steel plate over its chest. Even as I said the word, Bolo felt the tingle wash through him, signaling the presence of his ancestor.

“Ashardalon.”

Zad

First Post
The Reckoning – Chapter 4

OOC Notes:
Exp later. Not that it matters much now. Time waits for no man, but he hesitates around Chuck Norris.

This Week’s Adventure:
The red banked upward, then did a wingover and came towards us. A message resonated in my mind.

May I approach? I would speak with you.

Better than I was hoping for. I invited him closer, and he flew towards us. At a certain point, he simply stopped flapping his massive wings and his bulk plummeted on top of some buildings, flattening them utterly. He was still several hundred feet away, his caution and survival instincts preventing him from getting too close, but from here I could see the metal plate that had been bolted into his flesh over his heart. Scales and flesh partially covered it but it was still not wholly accepted. The wyrm was old – one of the oldest short of Lord Gelban and, tragically, the Silverring. But unlike them, Ashardalon bore the scars of his years – his wings were rent in places, and he had scars and rotted flesh in places. One of his eyes was partially blinded and there was some sort of crystal over it, grafted on. I thought it was some sort of psi-crystal but Scorch believed it was a receptacle of a soul font.

Ashardalon’s neck twisted this way and that as he surveyed the lot of us.

So you are the bringers of all this chaos. I am impressed. It was clearly not something he said often. Those of us that were protected from mental contact did not hear this, but those that were not smiled slightly.

“A kind thing to say,” I replied. “And what brings you before us?”

Curiousity mostly, he said, and strangely I believed him in part. I wanted to see the ones who have fouled so many plans and killed so many arrogant fools.

Bolo said “I’m surprised to see you here. I expected you would take refuge somewhere else.”

Taking refuge? You may describe it that way if you desire. Ashardalon attempted to sound dismissive of Bolo but it was clear he was watching Bolo very carefully and listening to every word.

“Because the bargain must be kept?” Bolo asked. But he was far from correct.

I have no idea what that means, the wyrm said. Such ill conceived plans as any arch-demon would put together are of no concern to me.

“So then what brings you here?”

Curiousity, as I said. A force as powerful as yours does not simply wander in. This was more of a lie.

I shrugged and took a chance. “We’re here to negotiate for Orcus’ withdrawal from the Prime.” I was careful to say it in such a way that suggested we did not view a confrontation as inevitable.

Clearly Orcus is expecting you. I think he expects me to engage you.

And there it was. His statement was unassuming but it spoke volumes. Ashardalon was supposed to attack us, but he was hesitating. It was unclear if he truly feared Bolo, but he was obviously wary of him. At one point Bolo took a step casually forward and Ashardalon did his best to look casual while retreating the same distance. The wyrm may be a coward and an abomination but he was definitely interested in his own survival.

It also seemed that the sand creatures were coming but from the looks of the moving storm, it would be a bit before they got here, so we decided to enter the temple.

We magic-ed our way into the temple past the wards and physical barriers. We appeared in a corridor that was intermittently strewn with bodies, apparently of Ivid’s personal guard. The halls were covered in thredbare carpet, and at various places were crudely made symbols of Boccob. (Upon closer inspection, it seems they were well made, defaced, and then crudely repaired.)

The building had definitely seen at least one major battle but there were no sign of the presumed defenders – just the attackers. We picked our way through the debris and came into a central hall and noted that the stairway to the third floor was sealed off by wards.

The wards were not weak but nor would they stand up long if we chose to breach them. Rather than doing it that way though we took another route. There were two sensors watching us, and we waved at them and knocked on the force barrier.

Inside the wall, an illusion of a half-elf emerged from around a corner. He wore frayed robes and a swept-back hat.

“Do I know you?” he asked dryly.

“Oh I very much doubt it,” I said. We introduced ourselves.

“Oh. It is you. We have heard of you, but did not realize you would be coming, er, well, now.” He granted us passage through the force wall. He asked Saint Dravot to be the last to pass through, lest the wards be overly disturbed.

The area beyond was better maintained. We passed through a long hallway into an old library. The real mage was there – he introduced himself as Rillikandren – along with several apprentices. We quickly explained how Ivid was wandering the sewers and wanted them dead, so we thought it might be wise to see what the fuss was about.

Rillikandren said “Orcus allows us to remain because it amuses him and he does not consider us a threat. As for Ivid, he sees threats everywhere. We predicted the fall of his house and the end of his reign. For this he hates us still. Tell me, does he still suffer?”

Dravot nodded, “Indeed he does.”

“Good,” was the reply. “But our purpose here is not related to Ivid. We are guardians of a sacred artifact.” He gestured to a dias and on it was a metal bowl. In the bowl was an orrery, the center of which was a great diamond. “We could not let The Orb of Sol fall into Orcus’ hands. Ivid desires it though – he seeks to use it and end his suffering. It may even only be temporary but he would crave that all the same. We have held this charge waiting for you.”

“For us?” Bolo asked.

“For you,” Rillikandren said, speaking directly to Dravot. “What you do with it is up to you.”

“Will it let us break the ward surrounding the central dome?” I asked.

“It should. But there is more you should know. Somewhere in the palace, Orcus has the Machine of Lum the Mad. This is what caused the accident that destroyed Rauxes in the first place. It was done by the former court mage, who now serves him as a two-headed lich.”

“Rillikandren, you have been here many years and observed much of the goings-on here, true?” I asked and he nodded. “Then perhaps you can explain something to me – why is Orcus here? What does he hope to gain?” This question had been troubling me. Once Rauxes had been drawn fully on to the Prime, I half-expected Orcus to retreat rather than risk the resources that fighting would consume. Surely he knew of Fraz’s fate by now and I did not think he would be anxious to risk the same.

“As best we can tell, he has access to a tremendous power source that he was in the process of corrupting. Several devices were made, and Orcus employed high powered servants and demon princes and at least one evil god to invest souls into them and then finally investing the soul of some kind of extremely powerful being to subvert the devices power. I do not know what they do, but they can control the power like a faucet.”

“A pipeline to Therizdun,” Scorch grumbled. Rillikandren’s eyebrows went up and Scorch sketched out the details.

Rillikandren stopped suddenly and said “I sense the Sand Kings are approaching.”

“Oh them. They’d be coming for us,” Aethramyr said.

“They are not so much servants of Orcus as they are allies. Orcus is not the lord of *all* undead.”

“That raises a question then,” I said. “Can they be reasoned with?”

Rillikandren was unsure. “I am not sure. Their motives are unclear to me. They are however very powerful – they are capable of transvalent magic. It is my belief that they were once living creatures called LeShay – a powerful elf-being that I doubt you have ever heard of. But they shed that existence and are now hunefers of expansive size and power.”

I couldn’t help myself. I let my hair fall back to its now-natural white. “We are… familiar with LeShay.”

“I doubt they can be redeemed – they gave up their mortal essence for power. There was a great pact millennia ago, and they defied it.”

“Well, we had best deal with them then,” Aethramyr said. “Will you be safe here once we remove the artifact?”

“No,” Rillikandren said. “The wards will collapse without it. But we have been prepared for this day for some years. We will retreat as soon as you take possession of it.”

The mages quickly gathered up packs that had obviously been ready for this use for some time. Dravot picked up the Orb of Sol and put it gently into a pouch. Rillikandren then teleported his apprentices and himself away, presumably taking Scorch up on his offer of refuge within the Guild.

We left the building and found that the Sand Kings were waiting for us. There were five of them, one taller than the others. They were almost like an incredibly powerful mummy, dressed in funeral rags and wearing gold jewelry and such. The tall one stared at us, though his eye sockets were empty. Once we had fully emerged, he spoke.

“I sense LeShay among you.”

Scorch took a step away from me.

“I sense LeShay among *you*,” I said casually.

“One of the weaklings has indoctrinated you in the ways of truth and power. They are bound to a foolish oath. One we renounced. We could show you ways to attain greater power that you would not waste serving these expiring creatures.”

I simply shook my head with disinterest.

“As you like,” the sand king said.

“Do you mean to oppose us?” I asked him, turning to the matter at hand.

“We find ourselves in an… interesting position. And it all revolves around you,” he looked at Bolo.

“Me?” Bolo squeaked.

“You, dragonborn,” the king said. “He is afraid of you.”

Bolo relaxed slightly. “Ashardalon has a known weakness to his kin.”

Ashardalon shifted slightly but did nothing else. He was still where we had left him, several hundred feet away. The situation was becoming clear now – they were supposed to attack, but none of them wanted to risk being the first. And none of them believed their “allies” would aid them.

“Orcus did not want us to underestimate you,” the sand king said. “He wanted us all to strike at you as one. And I admit though you are powerful and fearsome, and you certainly could harm us, we could harm you. And though you posses many wonderous things, we are not certain we see a benefit in opposing you.”

“Neither do I,” I said frankly. “The benefit would be entirely Orcus’, but the risk would be entirely yours.”

The king nodded. “If Orcus was sent from this place, and believe me he could be, what benefit to us?”

Aethramy shrugged. “What good is he doing you right now?”

The king considered this. “His power lends us a certain air. He is not our master but he does provide us certain benefits. The loss of him… well your little flying freaks would be an inconvenience but they cannot drive us from our plane of origin.”

“It is an odd situation, to be sure,” I said. We were talking casually as if in a market square. For my part I had no desire to provoke them and saw no benefit in fighting them.

“There is another. The lich. He is no ally of any of us but he has his hands on the Machine. If we were to leave, he might be emboldened to use it again. That would mean a loss of resources for us. And we are certainly not so short-sighted as to wish a being like Orcus to play with a faucet connected to a waterfall. Until Fraz, we saw no way to intervene. Even now we have no desire to support your actions, but rather to simply step aside and allow you to do what is necessary.”

His head cocked slightly and it was obvious that Ashardalon had contacted him and they were speaking telepathically.

Suddenly another piece of the puzzle snapped into place. The gem in Ashardalon’s eye matched the gems in the sand king’s crown. Indeed there was a gem missing from his crown. This accounted for some of the leverage – and distrust – between them. It seemed that if Ashardalon attacked, or was attacked, they might also engage to protect their properly.

The choice was theirs and we waited. Eventually the king said “We shall stand aside and prepare for the attack that is sure to come.” But then our exchange was disrupted by an explosion in the distance, followed by what seemed like thousands of screams.

The sand king smiled, if that is the right thing to say. “Very well played. Merely delaying us. Clever. Our agreement stands though.” And with that they walked away, sinking into the ground as they did.

The screams got louder and then suddenly cascaded over us like a waterfall. The undead in the area, previously standing idle, began marching down the street. I rose up over the buildings to see what had happened. The first thing I saw was that the Screaming Pillar had been broken and lay in pieces in the square. A small group of humanoids seemed to be moving quickly and spells and weapons were flying around. We weren’t sure who they were, but we knew a good thing when we saw it and went into the sewers again to find Orcus.

We returned to the warded gate, but the ward was gone – it must have been tied to the pillar. We went up into the dome without delay. The sewer entrance lead to a vast hallway. The place had seen better times – the recently dead and the long long dead shared the floor in equal measure. At the end of the hall were over three dozen men in fiendish armor. One of them yelled a command and they began to charge.

It was Scorch’s turn on the nuisance rotation, and he pondered his response.

The men screamed and ran towards us.

“Ah, Scorch,” Aethramyr said, “you might want to make up your mind.”

The men ran faster.

“Hm. Could do that… or maybe that…” Scorch muttered.

The men leveled their weapons.

“Scorch. Now,” Valanthe said impatiently.

The men drew closer.

“Oh fine,” Scorch finally sighed. And the spells started flying.

Half of them were dead, and a third injured. Aethramyr barked at them and those that could move cowered as far out of the way as they could manage.

We pressed forward. There were fiends or more powerful undead. We suspect the first few vampires sent word to the others not to get in the way. Finally we came to a big set of vaulted doors covered in bloody excrement. Bolo declared he was not touching them, but predictably they opened as we approached. In the befouled chamber beyond was Orcus, his grey skin covered in blood from fresh kills scattered at his feet. Blood rand down his stuck in the fur of his legs and behind him were two dozen death knights, including Kargoth.

Dravot believed that here, in his place of power, Orcus was more god than demon prince.

As we walked down the bloody carpet, I called out with a half smile “Greetings, Lord Orcus. We have come to negotiate your withdrawal from the Prime.”

Perhaps it would come to a fight. But I still could not discern the Demon Prince’s motivations and hoped that perhaps he’d take a more prudent road.

His hatred was undisguised. “You think you’re so clever. Fine. This has become too costly since the sand kings turned on me. I had hoped you would kill some of them that we might be able to benefit from Ashardalon’s death. You may have this paltry human city back. You’ve destroyed enough of my plans as it is. So I give you this: the theerparts are not fully corrupted. That trinket you recovered from the temple can remove the corruption. You can draw the souls out of them.”

We blinked in unfeigned surprise.

“You may wonder why I tell you this. Because unless you’re idiots, you’re suspicious.”

“Oh we’re suspicious,” Aethramyr quipped.

“Because if I’m going to lose, and Fraz has already lost, then I’ll be damned” (he smirked at his own little joke) “if Hextor is going to profit from our failures.”

Orcus was warming up to the topic. He had a lot on his mind it seemed. “The bargain always had more than one level. Such that fools were lead to believe it worked one way when ultimately it was entirely different. All the hundreds of poor souls that you’ve killed are trapped in the theerparts as we speak in exchange for a king’s ransom of elven souls. We facilitated devices and convinced some factions that this was Therizdun’s wish. We accessed Therizdun’s power under the guise of freeing him, but we had to crack the gates open to corrupt the devices. The Shadow King got out but we don’t really care.”

Orcus smirked at Valanthe. “How is the shadow realm these days? How many have died? The lucky ones I mean? I would deal with that situation if I were you. Without the parts corrupted, the crack still remains. The king may decide the time to move is now. And if we can’t have his power, why should anyone else, including him?”

I suppressed a laugh. Orcus was clearly very angry. At us, certainly, but more at the incompetence and betrayal that brought him to this juncture.

“Do what you want, mortals,” he spat. “Either way, someone will lose besides just me, which suits me fine. Now if you’ll excuse us…” There was a cracking noise and the fabric of reality tore open. Orcus turned, smashing some death knights out of the way with his rod and stepped through the gate to his lair on the Abyss. Beyond him, we could see a giant machine made of brass festooned with levers and cords and bright colored crystals. At a chair in front of it sat a lich bound by chains with spikes driven through is four eye sockets. The death knights followed him through the gate, with Kargoth the last. Before he went, he turned to us, and gave a salute. We nodded back at him and then he walked through and pulled a lever and the gate closed.

As we emerged from the palace, the streets were swarming with more men in fiend armor. Some of them were taking it off as quickly as they could while they ran. The undead had more discipline but were being destroyed by some burst of energy nearby. I could make out the same small group of humanoids nearby, fighting fiercely. They were staying close together inside protection spells. A dwarf pulled out a small cask and lit a fuse and threw it into a mass of undead.

Scorch, having a sense of irony, threw a fireball at that location. The detonation was all the more spectacular and one of the humans shrieked at the dwarf “WHAT DID YOU PUT IN THERE?!?”

Dravot stepped forward and destroyed undead in droves. We quickly cleared a path to the group and took the pressure off them. Surprisingly, it was Lord Gelban’s other adventuring party. They were exhausted and it seemed as if we’d gotten there just in time.

“What are you guys doing here?” Scorch asked.

“Well, Gelban sent us. Nobody scries us or anything… you know… so he figured we could slip in… and um… destroy stuff,” the dwarf answered.

Made sense. And it worked.

It took hours to clean up the chaos left behind by Orcus’ withdrawal. Most of the human army surrendered, and those that didn’t were quickly dispatched. We found over three thousand prisoners who were being kept as a food source. Dravot used his power to bring forth food and drink for them, since they were largely starving, and the feast brought them back to health and cured them of disease.

Fortunately we were aided by the armies that had been holding the roads. Reports began trickling in of squads in the sewers encountering some kind of maddened creature that keeps rising after being killed. It took some convincing, and I suspect a sign from their god, but the paladins of the Theocracy finally understood that Ivid was being punished by the gods and they should leave him be.

As time passed Judges also began scouring the city for fiends and removing them. Before long we found Meltorannan and he seemed pleased enough. He told us that Ashardalon had left the plane but did not go to any of the outer planes. He had, perhaps, breached one of the protected places but they will investigate.

Meltorannan nodded. “The Prime is safe. You have ejected the most egregious of beings. Your enemies have been reduced, destroyed, or driven into hiding. You have won.”

I agreed, with a caveat. “That only leaves the Shadow King. He must be dealt with for the Prime to be safe.”

Meltorannan did not agree. “I don’t think you should worry about that. He can be dealt with in his own time. He poses no threat now…”

There was a sudden crack of thunder and a fissure of shadow appeared on Meltorannan’s chest. Instantly he was drawn into it, and disappeared. More disturbing, the fissure of shadow remained in the air where he stood. All around were other fissures where other Judges had felt the same power.

Scorch confirmed what we all suspected. “It’s a crack to the Shadow Plane. And it’s growing.” Indeed light was being pulled in from all around the cracks into the darkness.

We waited, and sure enough one of Ralishaz’s avatars appeared – Chance in this case. His appraisal was as succinct as it was accurate.

“Well this sucks.”

Scorch agreed. “It does. By my figuring, we have three days before the Prime and the Shadow Plane merge.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads