• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizardru's Story Hour (updated 11/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizarDru

Adventurer
LordVyreth said:
So, dare I ask?

Oh, and incidentally, a 3rd Magical Trevor has been made. Just for anyone interested...

dravot (who makes Livejournal Cry) and several others were unavailable for our regular game, so we had a game night instead. Alpha will probably happen this weekend, in the final showdown with the Zinkmans. Or not. ;)

In the meantime, you can read the con report , if you're so inclined.

Zad

First Post
We were set to play friday, but Aethramyr had a last minute thing come up so we instead played the Mystery Box adventure in Barakus.

Next week isn't looking good for this game either - probably Eberron.

LordVyreth

First Post
Whimpers...so long since an update.

It's bad enough that my own campaign finally died (though I still plan on finishing it's SH in mostly fiction form.) Don't tell me you guys have gone on hiatus too? It'll be nice to have the simplicity of being just a player in two campaigns for a while, but looking at a campaign from the larger perspective is nice too, especially since I have a little bit of a vested interest in the DM's position of this game.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Sorry, the Universe has been fiendishly at work, preventing schedules from syncing up.

This Saturday is the first Alpha session in a while. Look for a preview tomorrow.

Corruption reigns. Madness takes it toll. The fate of the Prime, and perhaps Existence, lies in the balance. Who will live and who will die? Evil Marches, Good Stands Fast and Darkness Waits.

Zinkman has been weakened...but he is NOT WEAK. Stay Tuned, won't you?

Zad

First Post
There was a great deal of talk going back and forth. Dragons, priests and so on were consumed in discussion of minutae. I tried to make them understand that there was no point, but it was hopeless. They just couldn’t see that until we got there and saw the situation for ourselves, no amount of tactical planning would be possible or worthwhile. Eventually I gave up and just wandered away until they had spent their energy forming plans that would never survive contact with the enemy.

It’s not that I’m not bothered by this – I think I’m just more used to it now.

So when my escape brought me near the other group of adventurers, my curiousity had little left to hold it in check and I approached them. They were in the midst of some loud discussion and didn’t notice me.

“You are wrong! And a blasphemer besides. Of course I should be used to that by now I suppose but it is heresy all the same.” The paladin seemed upset, and his assimar heritage was giving him an angry glow that would surely be impressive among common folk.

“But Peck,” the dwarf said “how could he have gotten the sword from a holy temple in Rauxes if when he received the blade, he was but a baby?” The dwarf asked his question with seeming innocence, but it was clear from the looks on the faces of his friends that he was baiting the paladin. He tried to hide the smile on his face, but it was creased nearly as much as his worn leathers.

“Ratt, you once again live up to your namesake,” Peck said dismissively.

“What, Wulfbane? Why is there a wolf around?” And Ratt made a show of looking into the woods.

“No, RAT! For that’s what you are. Aethramyr is the chosen champion of not one but two gods, and you insult him and his gods by questioning the tale of his finding of the sword.”

This was just too much for me to pass up. I stepped up and said “Is there some confusion which perhaps I can clear up?” and I smiled.

Peck immediately turned and on seeing me, bowed low and stayed bent. Ratt tried to make a show of being unimpressed but you couldn’t help but notice how he suddenly stood up straight and kept looking at the ground. The rest of the company looked for something to say, and bowed or blushed according to individual penchant. The halfling finally spoke up.

“My Lady… we were just having a… ah… religious discussion of sorts. Please, we meant no disrespect or disruption and deeply apologize for any off…”

I stopped him. “Please, there’s no need to apologize. And there’s no need to stay bowed, Peck was it?” I bent over to look to his face as I said this, but it was hardly necessary with him so tall. “My name is Kayleigh. I was curious about you all so I thought I would wander over and introduce myself. I didn’t mean to disrupt your… debate.”

The halfling relaxed noticeably. “Oh we all know who you are My Lady. No need for that at all. And this is Peck.” Peck stood up again, but seemed flushed. “My name is Tallboy, and this, “ he pointed to a wild-eyed man “is Amlah, and here is Wize Ak’Har.” He waved towards a dwarven cleric of Moradin who smiled a far more genial smile than most dwarves. “And you must have heard Ratt two leagues away.”

I smiled and nodded at each as they were introduced. They all still seemed to be standing uncomfortably straight so I sat on on of the boulders and said “You all are going to hurt yourselves if you keep standing like that.”

Ratt was the first to start laughing and the others started to relax as well. “So,” I asked, “I heard Aethramyr’s name in the midst of your little debate. Perhaps there’s something I could clear up for you?”

Peck puffed up before Ratt could say anything. “My Lady, perhaps you would be so kind as to educate this… dwarf” he substituted that at the last moment “as to the truth of the holy tale that clearly states that Aethramyr received Shatterspike from a holy temple over a century ago.”

I scoffed but not in a mean way. “Oh please. I don’t think so. And there’s no need to call me ‘My Lady’ here.” I smiled at him trying to give him some comfort. “Aethramyr recovered the sword only a few years ago in the remains of the Sunless Citadel. Not too long after a rat nearly chewed his arm off and killed him as I recall. Make no mistake that it has only been in his care a short while, and we had no idea what it, or he for that matter, would become.”

Before Ratt could get his gloating up to speed I cut him off. “However, it was surely Sehanine’s will that he find it and likely Pelor’s as well. We have learned that plans are set in motion for us that we cannot comprehend. I’m sure you have started to sense the same in your own journeys. So while the tale may be somewhat exaggerated in a literal sense, it may be true from the eyes of a god.”

That seemed to put Ratt in check. Indeed he seemed to reflect briefly, perhaps troubled by some of their own journeys and what lay before them.

“But he is a holy champion. You all are. Well, perhaps not the mage… but still…” Peck protested quietly.

I nodded. “And each of us started our lives as you did. We were born, we grew up, we guarded walls or fought in skirmishes. And we came together under Lord Gelban’s wing. And there, we each grew into what you see today. Have you not grown from what you once were?”

They all looked at each other and nodded mutely.

“Aethramyr is a holy warrior. He is a man of faith unlike any I have known. He is a man of wisdom as few are in the world. And he his skill is greater than many can dream of,” I said. “But he’s still just an elf, and he puts his pants on just like you do.”

I leaned towards Ratt and said quietly “But they’re… you know… longer.”

Everyone started laughing and I wanted to get away from that subject. Too much awe doesn’t do anyone any good. “So what brings you all here? Besides the obvious I mean.”

Tallboy shrugged. “The Brazen asked us to come. He said that he was worried – about his friend, and about you. If you did not return in time, we might be needed, though I could tell he didn’t think us up to the task. And if you did, and you failed, we’d be needed sorer still.”

The barbarian finally spoke up. “I’m not so sure he is right about us not being ready.”

The cleric replied, “Yeah? Well I am. Hearing what I heard today, I thank Moradin they returned,” he jerked a thumb at me. “Did you see The Brazen’s eyes? There was fear in them. Fear for us. Ain’t never seen that before.”

I looked them over carefully. “Rest assured, your time will come. But I don’t think that time is now. I’m not even sure we’re ready for this. Remember this is a madness we brought into this world, and now have cause to deeply regret. But there are many evils in the world and you will soon learn that you cannot be everywhere at once. Even while we go to deal with Zinkman, what of the Khel’Hrdad? Perhaps The Brazen will send you to check up on them, though you’d do well to only observe and not try to stop them.”

We talked for a while more and it was quite pleasant. I saw in them ourselves, and in us I see what they someday will become. And I think they started to see it too.

The group had a reasonable assortment of equipment and weapons, but the item that stood out was the same one I had noticed earlier – Tallboy seemed to have a Staff of Power. It didn’t take much to get him to relate how it came into their possession, and Tallboy seemed to view it as something he held for the group rather than something he personally owned. “May I?” I asked.

He hesitated reflexively for the briefest moment, then blushed and offered it to me. “Of course.”

I grasped the staff firmly and let it swing slowly, feeling the magic within offering itself to whomever held it. “I’ve seen them before, but never had a chance to feel one.” Tallboy looked questioningly at me and I added “My spellcraft is not on par with Scorch’s, or even yours I’m sure. But it doesn’t take much to use something like this does it?” I handed the staff back bowing my head in thanks.

“No, not really,” he said. “In fact what started our discussion of Shatterspike was much the same topic – we were looking at the amazing arsenal you all carried.”

I shrugged. “Fate finds a way to lead us to the tools we need.”

The Platinar was waving me over so I had to cut our conversation short. I smiled at them all and was turning away when Ratt said “And what happens when fate doesn’t work as fast as you need it to?”

I laughed over my shoulder “Then you go to Sigil. Find Mortimer Fuvex-vex-vex. Tell him I sent you. Fate helps those who help themselves.”

I hoped they surived their trip to Sigil. The Brazen would be quite miffed with me if they didn’t.

Spatzimaus

First Post
Zad said:
He waved towards a dwarven cleric of Moradin who smiled a far more genial smile than most dwarves. “And you must have heard Ratt two leagues away.”

*makes the sign of the Hammer*

Cameos are always fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads