• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards: Already Too Strong?

1of3

Explorer
When you consider the number of cantrips, remember that two of them are not the wizard's but the magic-user's.

Great theme by the way. Getting some magic is definitely useful, especially in a group like ours, where loss of equipment is common.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
If the biggest wizard balance issue we have to worry about is the Light spell, we are in good shape.

I think the OP was commenting more on the "default" status of access to minor magic that sort of diffuses the classic feel of needing torches and whatnot.

It's a good point. I just think it's an easy fix.

So, yeah. Totally.

beej

Explorer
I didn't mind magic missile auto-hitting so much - that's vintage. :cool: On the other hand, I found it odd that after reading the bit on spells prepared at higher slots being more potent, the one spell that scales does so automatically without requiring a higher slot.

But magic missiles fired multiple times in 3.5. I don't think it should be problematic here either. :)

Holy Bovine

First Post
They do have a lot on the ball. About the only thing I don't like is the high HPs at first level. IMO 7-9hps would be more than enough but they wanted a unified hp system for all characters (CON score + die at first level). This should self correct in a very few levels with the fighter outstripping the wizard by 50% by 3rd level.

The Shocking Grasp spell does require the Wizard to touch the target (melee is not something you want to do with an 11 AC), Ray of Frost does no damage just immobilizes the target and MM has been that way since forever (remember the hue and cry when 4E changed MM to require a to hit roll? Yeesh!)

The out of combat stuff is traditional D&D magic and is very 'inline' with current trends - light at will (I'm 99% sure this comes from the Lord of the Rings movies where Gandalf summons light pretty much whenever he needs it).

Walking Dad

First Post
....(melee is not something you want to do with an 11 AC)...
That reminds me that I miss the classic mage armor spell. And Shield isn't affecting AC directly anymore.

(remember the hue and cry when 4E changed MM to require a to hit roll? Yeesh!)
hen they changed it back an the spell became the worts wizard at will...

The out of combat stuff is traditional D&D magic and is very 'inline' with current trends - light at will (I'm 99% sure this comes from the Lord of the Rings movies where Gandalf summons light pretty much whenever he needs it).
I think it is more in line with the unlimited 0 level casting in Pathfinder.

stevelabny

Explorer
I still haven't played it, so this is just how it feels.

6 at-will cantrips seems a little much, but that's because the pre-gen has class AND theme giving cantrips. Even though I know the general mentality is to over-specialize, I would HOPE that the magic-user theme gets used by non-casters and the wizards take other themes.

Offensively, Shocking Grasp seems fine because its a melee attack, Magic Missile seems ok, but I'm not sure why it scales and it seems pretty lame that its an auto-hit at-will for both other players and even for the wizard player themselves. "I shoot magic missile. I don't need to roll. Your turn." Ray of Frost SEEMS overpowered but I want to see it in play. I'm guessing it will be one of those wizard-type issues where if there is only ONE enemy, you could potentially run into a problem.

I mostly roll my eyes at Light because very few groups I've ever played with have wanted to bookkeep for light sources constantly. Its ok when it comes up once in a while, but having dark caves filled with enemies with darkvision gets old if youre doing it constantly.

Mage Hand like many low-level utility spells, can be useless in the hands of someone uncreative, awesome in the hands of a good player and annoying in the hands of someone in the middle who keeps trying to abuse the system. It probably needs to have a few more restrictions if its going to be at-will.

My BIG problem? That I haven't seen anyone talking about yet???

DETECT MAGIC AT WILL.

I guess you can pretty much give up hiding magic items anywhere ever.
Why wouldn't the wizard walk around with almost permanent detecto vision?
This seems ripe for abuse. Again, I really feel the at-will spells need to have carefully considered restrictions.

jadrax

Adventurer
DETECT MAGIC AT WILL.

I guess you can pretty much give up hiding magic items anywhere ever.
Why wouldn't the wizard walk around with almost permanent detecto vision?
This seems ripe for abuse. Again, I really feel the at-will spells need to have carefully considered restrictions.

It is worded a bit weirdly, it seems to only make magic items have a glowing aura, so if you cannot actually physically see the item in question I am not sure it works.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads