Wizards Digital Initiative Moving Forward

Glyfair

Explorer
MojoGM said:
That's what really annoys me about this whole thing. Code Monkey may have been a little ways from having RPG Forge out, but they were a hell of a lot closer than this. So by pulling the license now we get no electronic access to offical content until WotC gets their crap together, and who knows when that will be? A year? Two? More?

Honestly, while eTools is my CharGen of choice, what really bugs me about WotC pulling the license if the death of the Eberron Interactive Atlas. I get a huge amount of use from my Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas and don't even run in FR. An Eberron atlas would be incredible. ProFantasy even stated the maps were all done last July.

Nothing quite as bad as knowing what I want is out there, but I'm not allowed to buy it.

painandgreed

First Post
JVisgaitis said:
The old OSs were terrible and used to crash all the time. I'd wait a bit though. The WWDC is just around the corner and there should be a lot of news on Leopard.

99% of all those crashes were extension conflicts caused by 3rd party apps not playing well with each other. Trust me, troubleshooting and fixing them was way easier than troubleshooting Win95 interrupt problems let alone anything to do with the registry (which was synonimous for "format the drive and reinstall the OS"). It only took a few weeks for some Microsoft zealot joining the phone tech support at Adobe to start praying that more people would buy Macs because a difficult Mac problem would take twenty minutes to solve while difficult Windows problem would take hours (if it could be fixed).

MojoGM

First Post
Mistwell said:
Really? A lot closer? They just announced that 80% of their existing code had to be scrapped. Even with a full staff they basically had no estimate for completion. Doesn't sound like they were a lot closer to anyting.

Yup, a LOT closer. And if Wizards had not pulled the license last year, odds are that it would be out by now, or at least close.

Mistwell said:
And that is different than Code Monkey how?

Because CM was working on something. It may not have been done, but they had more than a vague idea how to use an online tool and what sounds like a VERY limited character generator to generate revenue.

Mistwell said:
I agree. But I don't think pulling from Code Monkey necessarily was a bad idea for achieving this goal.

I do. I think it was a boneheaded idea. But it is what it is. Now I just want results. From somebody. Anybody.

Mistwell said:
I'm sure you can dig them up if you really need them.

I suppose that's true. No luck so far, but I have not tried that hard yet.

MojoGM

First Post
Glyfair said:
Honestly, while eTools is my CharGen of choice, what really bugs me about WotC pulling the license if the death of the Eberron Interactive Atlas. I get a huge amount of use from my Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas and don't even run in FR. An Eberron atlas would be incredible. ProFantasy even stated the maps were all done last July.

Nothing quite as bad as knowing what I want is out there, but I'm not allowed to buy it.

Yeah, thats right, I was so annoyed about the character generator that I had forgotten about the other useful tools Wizards denied to us. Maybe they'll use the ProFantasy maps to give us that interactive atlas for only $19.95 per month...

At this point I don't care who produces it, I just want someone to get off their butts and get it done. Maybe Wizards can try to be part of the solution instead of the whole problem.

KB9JMQ

First Post
MojoGM said:
At this point I don't care who produces it, I just want someone to get off their butts and get it done. Maybe Wizards can try to be part of the solution instead of the whole problem.

Amen, Brother.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
painandgreed said:
99% of all those crashes were extension conflicts caused by 3rd party apps not playing well with each other.

I remember well the days of conflicting extensions. The dark days of Apple if you ask me. I used to hate trying to figure out which one had to go.

Steel_Wind

Legend
jmucchiello said:
I'm shocked that MS SourceSafe isn't listed.

Why? Nobody who values their date uses SourceSafe. Serious version control is done via Perforce.

Hell - rumour has it that even Microsoft doesn't use SourceSafe...

Remove ads