Wizards In Winter - High-Level Thread (DM: Son of Meepo, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

Son of Meepo

First Post
GM: The Water is elevation 0, the deck is at elevation 2. The burst is being centered at elevation 2 right over Kauldron's head. A burst 2 at elevation 2 hits a target at elevation 0. You might have been confused because Dox sank to elevation -1 before climbing up.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
OOC: Why two numbers for the Acrobatics? I assume the climb DC for the masts are unchanged?
A waterlogged man just manages to climb up onto the dock before he is almost slammed back down. His head hits the rail hard, and blood is flowing freely from the wound there. As he staggers in pain, the man makes a quick gesture and then vanishes from sight.
OOC: Fleeting Shade: He is now invisible TENT and has a +5 check to hide. Spend AP to heal.
[sblock=Dox (Invisible, Dazed, Bloodied, Second Wind)]Dox—Male Shade Son of Peresefa Executioner 7
Initiative: +8, Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 13
AC: 22 (23 w/ TWF), Fort: 19, Reflex: 20 (21 w/ TWF) Will: 18 — Speed: 6
HP: 24/58, Bloodied: 29, Surge: 14, Surges left: 8/9
Action Points: 0/1, Second Wind: Used, Milestones: 0
Powers -
Garrote Strangle
Poisoned Dagger
Quick Lunge
Hidden Stab

Assassin's Strike
Low Blow

One with Shadow
Darting Shadow

Warlock's Curse
Fleeting Shade

2 Assassin Poisons (daily)
Elven Battle Leather Armor (encounter)

Dox - PC:Dox (stonegod) - L4W Wiki[/sblock]

Rapida

First Post
OOC:
[MENTION=78756]Son of Meepo[/MENTION]: For healing on the spreadsheet, Tarkus is getting 11+5 HP back. Is the correct way to log that subtracting 9 (to set HP to zero) and then subtracting the healing amount?

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Martelai moves away from the railing toward the mast, pulling sea spray and cold around him in obscuring mist once more. Once there, he eyes the wounded imp. Deciding to sacrifice single use of his armors power for the day, he uses it to curse hovering demon and small shadow flits over it. Calling the darkness from the depths of his soul, warlock explodes in black light surrounding the ship in impenetrable darkness for a moment. When it clears, little demon still hovers above unhurt while air elemental regains it's whirlwind shape.

[sblock=Actions]
Athletics (1d20+4=22)

Move: O9, gain shadowwalk concealment
Minor: Armor of Dark Majesty daily: Curse abishai 1
Standard: Cursebite vs Air Fort; Abishai 1 Fort; necrotic damage; curse (1d20+10=25, 1d20+10=18, 2d8+1=12, 1d6=1) - miss BY ONE! - Air elemental is hit for 13 necrotic

[/sblock]

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Tarkus lies on the deck on his back, eyes closed, doing nothing but mutter a desperate prayer.

[sblock=OOC]
Minor: Bless. Me and all allies get a +1 power bonus to all attack rolls until the end of the encounter.

Come on, as if this combat didn't suck enough, do I have to spend every round dazed? Can we at least retcon that my action happened before Martelai's so that he can hit?
[/sblock]

[sblock=L4W Tarkus the Crusader]
Init: +1 Speed: 5 Perception:17 Insight: 21
AC: 19 Fort: 16 Ref: 15 Will: 20
HP: 16/46 Surges: 7/9 Surge Value: 11 AP: 0
Str:13 Con:14 Dex:8 Int:13 Wis:19 Cha:15

Powers:
Gaze of Defiance
Astral Seal
Sacred Flame
Second Wind
Exacting Utterance
Astral Flare
Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune
Channel Divinity: Healer's Mercy
Healing Word
Healing Word
Moment of Glory
Sundered Fortune
Bless
Rune of Mending
Symbol of Resilience +2
Hero's Chainmail +1
Ornament of Alertness +1
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Son of Meepo

First Post
GM: Yes, you can swap the order of turns.

Unless someone has a way of getting adjacent to him, the air elemental has an at-will daze attack. It's pretty obvious that he'll move wherever he needs in order to target the greatest numbers. So you could always try to convince the others to move away from you.

Also, don't assume the only way for things to progress in combat is to completely eliminate the enemy. Try to come up with other ideas and feel free to ask questions. "What might happen if I tried x..."

Finally, I hope that this encounter encourages people to seek out a serviceable ranged attack for their characters. It's my opinion that by high heroic level, you should have one. I realize that some builds (such as charisma paladins) are fairly well hosed if they didn't invest in Strength or Dexterity as a tertiary stat, but that's a limitation that should be considered. That's really what's causing you to have such a hard time with the encounter, it's actually an at-level encounter based on the xp budget used.

Remove ads