Wizards In Winter - Low-Level Thread (DM: Son of Meepo, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

Son of Meepo

First Post
Adnaisia

The eladrin's illusion wavers until the creature's skin takes on the woody appearance of the ancient oak complete with scaly patches.

"You should not have come. This place is beyond saving and now you shall rot in the earth like these trees."

She looks at Nalkyr and frowns.

"Come. Come return to the soil with me."

Nalkyr's arms go slack and his head droops. He walks through the swarm and stands by the dryad's side.

"Come with me..."

The dryad steps into the tree and pulls Nalkyr with her. They reappear elsewhere.

[sblock=Actions]Minor: Deceptive Veil (illusion)Effect: The dryad disguises itself to appear as a Medium humanoid (usually a beautiful elf or eladrin) until it uses deceptive veil again or until it drops to 0 hit points. Other creatures can make a DC 27 Insight check to discern that the form is an illusion.

Standard:
Sylvan Charm (charm)
Attack: Ranged 5 (one creature); +8 vs. Will
Hit: The dryad pulls the target up to 5 squares to a square adjacent to it. The target is charmed until it is no longer adjacent to the dryad or until the dryad uses this power again. A charmed creature is immobilized and can’t attack the dryad. When an enemy’s melee or ranged attack hits the dryad, it deals half damage to the dryad and half damage to the charmed creature. If the attacker is adjacent to the charmed creature, the charmed creature must make a melee basic attack (of the dryad’s choice) against the enemy as a free action.

Sylvan Charm (1d20+8+1=23) (HIT)

Nalkyr is pulled to V11 and charmed.

Move: Treestride (teleportation)
Requirement: The dryad must be adjacent to a tree or a Large plant.
Effect: The dryad teleports up to 8 squares to a square adjacent to a tree or a Large plant. Any creature charmed by the dryad teleports with the dryad to a square adjacent to it.

Adnasia teleports to Z17, Nalkyr to Y16.[/sblock]

Twig Blight Swarms

The swarm nearest the pixie lashes out, but it lacks the coordination to hit either creature near it.

[sblock=Swarm 1]Standard: Swarm of Claws (poison)
Attack: Close burst 1 (enemies in the burst); +10 vs. AC
Hit: 2d6 + 8 poison damage.
Swarm of Claws (Damage, Chupacabra, Noctua) (2d6+8=16, 1d20+10+1=12, 1d20+10+1=12) (MISS, MISS) [/sblock]

The other swarm moves to guard the dryad and her prey.

Bloodthorn Vine

The vines creep out of the brambles toward Merri, wrapping its thorny tendrils around her, slowly pulling her towards its patch.

[sblock=Actions]Move: H12

Standard: Impaling Thorn (healing)
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +9 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d8 + 4 damage, and the vine grabs the target.
Sustain Standard: The vine sustains the grab, the target takes 2d8 + 4 damage, and the vine regains 5 hit points.

Impaling Thorn (1d8+4=7, 1d20+9+1=28) (HIT)

Minor: Pulling Vines
Effect: The vine shifts 1 square, pulling any creatures it has grabbed into spaces adjacent to it.

Shifts to I13, pulls Merri to H12.[/sblock]

The Thing in the Tree

The thing lets out a psychic scream that painfully pushes against the mind of Caim and Ilex.

It shakes its branches causing seed pods to fall to the ground. The pods instantly grow into more of the creatures. The creatures lash out at Ilex and Caim, brutally wounding them.

[sblock=Actions]Standard: Psychic Lance
Close burst 10; one or two creatures in burst; +5 vs Will; 1d6+3 psychic damage, and the target is dazed until the end of its next turn.

Psychic Lance (Caim, Ilex) (1d6+3=9, 1d20+5=13, 1d20+5=20) (MISS, HIT)

Minor: Blightborn Calling

Close burst 5; The voice spawns four twig blight seedling in unoccupied squares within the burst, and the twig blights act immediately. The twig blights remain until destroyed or until the end of the encounter. The twig blights act on the voice’s turn. The voice can have up to six twig blights at a time.

Twig Blight Seedlings

[sblock=Seedlings]Standard: Claw
Effect: Before the attack, the seedling shifts up to 2 squares.
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +6 vs. AC
Hit: 3 poison damage, or 5 poison damage if the target is granting combat advantage to the seedling.

First 2 on Ilex, Second 2 on Caim

Claws (1d20+6+2=12, 1d20+6+2=9, 1d20+6+2=20, 1d20+6+2=27) (MISS, MISS, HIT, HIT)[/sblock]

Thing in the Tree (continued)

Minor: Twisted Nature
Reach 10; targets a twig blight ally; the target makes a melee basic attack with a +2 bonus to the attack roll. (Twig Blight Seedling 1)

Attacks Ilex

Claw (1d20+6+2+2=23) (HIT)[/sblock]

GM: Your turn. This encounter isn't going to be as easy as the first.

WEContact

First Post
OOC: Not as easy, huh? It's not like the last fight didn't cost me 4 surges. ;)

I'm gonna wait til people have tried to break out some forced movement before I take my turn. I work a 12 hour shift tomorrow so I won't be able to do that til tomorrow night, though I can post a little from my phone.

[MENTION=6687049]Wife Of Meepo[/MENTION], I recommend using your one action to Sustain Arcane Whirlwind- try to slide the Thing out of the tree again.

[MENTION=88601]FourMonos[/MENTION], [MENTION=6682244]Medina[/MENTION] - any way either/both of you can get in range to heal Ilex (and, if possible, me)? Any extra hp/thp/forced movement you guys can muster is good.

[MENTION=5656]Someone[/MENTION], I think you should just try to help focus fire on the Thing. It's bad news. [MENTION=6686815]Pliantreality[/MENTION], you should save your Fey Step until there's something within 5 you can engage. In the meantime, attack the swarm?

Someone

Adventurer
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

The tiny beast formerly known as the Horrible Creature in the Bird Cage descends from the sky like a mischievous demon of destruction! it tears the limbs from the animated branches surrounding Ilex and throws them into the air, and even has enough time to compose them into an aesthetically pleasing pattern. The thing in the tree doesn't particulary like it, and smacks the tiny fey.

El chupacabra reacts with more rage. It flutters up the tree and savagely gnaws on the rotten branches, and finishes with a savage blow with his tiny club, which splatters darkened sap on the surrounding terrain.

[sblock=actions]
Move: To current position, altitude 2. Even though my altitude limit is one, this only checks at the end of the round, so I should be safe until then. It provokes a AoO from the thing which hits (damage already recorded in spreadsheet), but unless I'm mistaken it has grabbed the maximum targets it could so I'm free to contiue moving. If that's not the case, the rest of the turn doesn't apply.

Standard action: Steel avalanche on a close blast 3, catching TB1, TB2 and TB3 and the tree. Everyone is hit, despite cover. The thing takes 22 damage and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends)

Free action: Flurry of blows on the thing. Takes 5 extra damage and cant' shift TENT.

AP-Standard action: Fallen needle on thing. Unfortunately, it fails to hit.

Minor: Fallen needle movement technique, shifts 1 to altitude 1, current position.[/sblock]

[sblock=Statblock]El Chupacabra (or the Horrible Creature in the bird cage) - Pixie monk 1
Initiative: +5, Passive perception: 15, Passive Insight: 10
AC:20 Fort:14 Ref:16 Will:12
HP: 19/28 THP: 0 Bloodied: 14 Surge value: 7 Surges/day: 9/10
Speed: 4 walking, 6 flying (max altitude 1), AP: 0
Melee Basic Attack: +3 vs AC, 1d6+1 or 1d8 (unarmed)

Powers:
Fallen Needle, Five Storms
Swift River Floods, Pixie dust, Shadow Wrought weapon, Shrink
Steel Avalanche[/sblock]

Last edited:

Medina

Explorer
OOC: @WEContact I can't get close enough to heal you or Ilex this turn (without giving up my standard action, but should be close enough next round.
[MENTION=78756]Son of Meepo[/MENTION] I get to push The Thing in the Tree 2 squares, but I gather you've got some resistance to pushes (from your previous post), so I'm not sure where he ends up? I'm pushing around the side of Ilex (because it's the only place I can). If it's successful I think that means Caim is out of reach of it's grab?

Marrgash takes a half step back as his allies are attacked, taken unawares at the onslaught. The briars scratch and tear at his flesh as he forces his way through.

After a few moments, of pushing through the thick briars, he strikes at his drum, sending a stunning bass note directed to the creature attacking from the tree. The pixie takes the opportunity to strike another blow at the creature as it reels.

[sblock=Actions]
Move: Move through M4 into N5 (through the Briars with an Endurance check)
Standard: Staggering Note on the Thing in the tree. El Chupacabra makes a MBA at the beginning of the attack. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Medina

Explorer
OOC: Yes - push 2. But The Thing in the Tree also has some resistance to pushing, so I don't know how far I'm pushing it (it's bonus to avoid being pushed out of the tree was reduced by 2 earlier)

Remove ads