• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards In Winter - Low-Level Thread (DM: Son of Meepo, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

FourMonos

First Post
A small tear forms at the corner of Merri's eye.

"Well, um, I've always wondered how to explain it to someone."
She pulls her knees up to her chest, still sitting on the ground.

"The easiest way to say it is... I'm broken."

She lets that sink in for a moment. "I can't blame anyone for it, really. I did it myself. The emotions I give off constantly? I turned it into a weapon once. I was young and scared. It hurt the people I meant to hurt, but it broke something inside me. The elves who saved me said that I had expelled so much of myself, my soul, that I would always have a hole... you know, inside."

"That emptiness inside of me can pull the energy from others, especially when I concentrate hard on it. That can make it hurt. But if I try real hard, I can just take a little, if the person is willing." She pats Marrgash's arm.

"It's one of the reason's I've always tried to stay alone. So that I wouldn't accidentally pull the energy from the same people all the time."

Merri arranges her clothes around her, covering her again from any potential exposure to sunlight.

"But my soul is still broken. I have to avoid the same things those without souls fear. I can't be in direct sunlight, for example. The upside is I don't age much. Not sure if I'm aging at all anymore."

pathfinderq1

First Post
As the others deal with their wounds, and the recovery of the healthy mistletoe that they needed from the tree, Lenyara attended to a somber but (to her) necessary task: shifting into her lioness form, she used her powerful claws to dig out a hole at the base of the great tree. There she buried the fallen dryad, so that she could be reunited with her tree.

Once she was done, she shifted back into her human form, ready to travel.

OOC: Used my Utility daily, but all my other powers are At-Will or Encounter based, and still at full health. Ready to go.

Wife Of Meepo

First Post
OOC: I think I found it all. If I bring Noctua back I'll be at 3 surges, 4 if I wait. Noctua grants. Ferocious Companion (aura 1): Allies gain a +2 power bonus to damage rolls against enemies in the aura. So probably good to get her back. Let me know if you agree or not.

Ilex is gfully healed now (she used two of Marrgash's heals)
[sblock=dmg,heal and dr notes] 0+9+9+5+5-7-8+10-5dr+16-5dr-11-11-11 also had 4 then 5 temp hits. (the 5thp never got used.)[/sblock]
Now just need to get my Staff input.

Last edited:

WEContact

First Post
GM: Yes, you get an AP.

I will award XP at each extended rest.
OOC: Very cool. Thanks.

OOC: I think I found it all. If I bring Noctua back I'll be at 3 surges, 4 if I wait. Noctua grants. Ferocious Companion (aura 1): Allies gain a +2 power bonus to damage rolls against enemies in the aura. So probably good to get her back. Let me know if you agree or not.
OOC: Yeah, bring Noctua back. Make sure she sticks close to whatever Nalkyr or Lenyara want to kill- they're our damage-dealers, and they can both double-attack, letting them use that bonus multiple times per turn. 3 surges will get you through one more fight.

A small tear forms at the corner of Merri's eye.

"Well, um, I've always wondered how to explain it to someone."
She pulls her knees up to her chest, still sitting on the ground.

"The easiest way to say it is... I'm broken."

She lets that sink in for a moment. "I can't blame anyone for it, really. I did it myself. The emotions I give off constantly? I turned it into a weapon once. I was young and scared. It hurt the people I meant to hurt, but it broke something inside me. The elves who saved me said that I had expelled so much of myself, my soul, that I would always have a hole... you know, inside."

"That emptiness inside of me can pull the energy from others, especially when I concentrate hard on it. That can make it hurt. But if I try real hard, I can just take a little, if the person is willing." She pats Marrgash's arm.

"It's one of the reason's I've always tried to stay alone. So that I wouldn't accidentally pull the energy from the same people all the time."

Merri arranges her clothes around her, covering her again from any potential exposure to sunlight.

"But my soul is still broken. I have to avoid the same things those without souls fear. I can't be in direct sunlight, for example. The upside is I don't age much. Not sure if I'm aging at all anymore."
Caim is unmoved by Merri's tears or her story. "Fascinating," she says coldly. "I've never heard of empathic feedback so intense that it created permanent necrosis. Some central part of you has died." Her hard expressions softens slightly. "I suspect there's still some room for hope, however. I've never encountered any experts on psionics outside of Ea, my homeland- these elves of yours may be wrong about the permanence of your condition." Caim claps the girl on the shoulder and stands up. "In any case, we ought to move on as soon as possible," she says, addressing the group as a whole. "If I recall, our next target is in a cave beneath Crystal Lake just to the north of here. It'll be cold, so bundle up if you can."

Caim offers Merri a hand to help her to her feet, and then pulls a hooded cloak from her pack and drapes it over her armored shoulders.

OOC: Does it bother anyone that I think that 8 INT doesn't preclude good vocabulary? I'm curious about how rigidly you guys think that ability scores should be expressed in roleplaying. Caim knows next to nothing about the history of the world or its creatures or gods or its nations or anything else that wasn't necessary to know in the Letheon military, but she has a respectable knowledge of her own craft and the technical terms related to it.

Last edited:

Pliantreality

First Post
Nalkyr felt tired. Not the tired that drew one's eyelids down - though the eladrin was half-lidded, certainly. It was the bone-weariness of the spirit. The kind of infectious malaise that made Nalkyr's limbs feel like lead.

It was despair, and something the young eladrin was thoroughly uncomfortable with. He had done very little to help the group during the fight. Nalkyr had spent most of it in a charmed haze.

The warrior hunkered down on his haunches next to the corpse of the creature that had bewitched him. Behind the self-loathing was a simmering anger, and Nalkyr resisted the urge to mar the corpse. That was a step too far.

"We need to pwess on." Nalkyr called, his voice hoarse from exertion.

OOC: 2 surges used, 22 hit points regained. Capped off at 25, full health. 3 surges left.

I've got an eye on that Sylvan Hide Armor +1. Anyone else thinking of taking it, or can I?

Medina

Explorer
OOC: Quick post as I'm in a bit of a rush this evening - no problem for Merri to use one of Marrgash's surges at all. I'll post something IC tomorrow, but don't want to be holding the game up in the mean time.

WEContact

First Post
OOC: 2 surges used, 22 hit points regained. Capped off at 25, full health. 3 surges left.

I've got an eye on that Sylvan Hide Armor +1. Anyone else thinking of taking it, or can I?
OOC: Lenyara already has +1 Hide Armor and nobody else here wears hide, so I'm pretty sure it's yours. :)

Son of Meepo

First Post
GM: So I've assigned parcels according to your wish list, which is why I've been marking items according to who's list I've filled them from.

Sylvan Hide Armor +1 was on Lenyara's wish list. I suppose it's up to you how you actually split up the magic item, but I wanted to make it clear that I was intending certain items for certain PCs.

Did Nalkyr notice that I'd assigned a Rhythm Blade Short Sword +1 to one of his treasure parcels? I was kind of confused as to why you weren't using it. Do you not want it? Not only does it give +1 to hit and damage, it gives you an additional +1 to AC and Reflex.

Wife Of Meepo

First Post
Before leaving the area, Ilex opens a portal to the feywild and calls to Noctua to return to her. The two reunite in hugs belly rubs and nuzzling. It is clear that the owlbear was worried about her companions well being.

OOC: Does it bother anyone that I think that 8 INT doesn't preclude good vocabulary? I'm curious about how rigidly you guys think that ability scores should be expressed in roleplaying. Caim knows next to nothing about the history of the world or its creatures or gods or its nations or anything else that wasn't necessary to know in the Letheon military, but she has a respectable knowledge of her own craft and the technical terms related to it.

OOC: It doesn't really matter. Dialect has nothing to do with int.

Last edited:

Remove ads