• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards of the Coast/Kenzer & Company License Agreements Expiring

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I have a question. . . as Kalamar actually existed prior to D&D 3x (I owned the old 2e box set), will it continue to exist after the license agreements expire, albeit without the D&D logo on the cover?

The Lost Muse

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I have a question. . . as Kalamar actually existed prior to D&D 3x (I owned the old 2e box set), will it continue to exist after the license agreements expire, albeit without the D&D logo on the cover?

Kenzer and Co. have released a few Kingdoms of Kalamar products without the D&D logo to test the waters, so I imagine they will continue to do so...

Edit: Personally, I'm holding out for the Hackmaster 5e/Kalamar boxed set :cool:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Timmundo said:
Personally, I'm holding out for the Hackmaster 5e/Kalamar boxed set :cool:

If there were a Kalamar/Hackmaster Basic Set, I would buy the hell out of it (i.e., I would buy multiple copies).

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
jdrakeh said:
If there were a Kalamar/Hackmaster Basic Set, I would buy the hell out of it (i.e., I would buy multiple copies).

I've never felt Kalamar was a good fit for HackMaster. Matter of fact, they seem almost complete opposites in theme and atmosphere. I vastly prefer that Kenzer use the setting they already developed for HackMaster, and which is still referred to regularly in the comic - Garweeze Wurld, or Aldrazar. The pdfs are available, and maybe someday they'll become an actual book. But Kalamar as the default setting for HackMaster just doesn't work for me.

bolen

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Well if you by the hell out of it I suppose you need multiple copies. It sounds like you are rough on books. I really dont want to know any more details.

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Timmundo said:
Kenzer and Co. have released a few Kingdoms of Kalamar products without the D&D logo to test the waters, so I imagine they will continue to do so...

Edit: Personally, I'm holding out for the Hackmaster 5e/Kalamar boxed set :cool:

Absolutely. The Kingdoms of Kalamar setting will continue!

HM5 will be set in Kalamar as its default and we will not support other settings with material written by us. it's really the only way to stay focused and make HM5 as well as a new edition of Kalamar (our two very strong fantasy lines).

If you're a die-hard FR, GW, GH, etc. fan, good for you! Stick with it. You'll be able to play HM5 in any of those settings. if you want to play the new Kalamar using D&D4e, go for it! You'll be able to do that as well.

if you play HM5 *in* Kalamar, you'll be most richly rewarded as 100% of every product will make you titter with delight.

And BTW, our plan is to make HM5 much better than D&D4 and Kalamar for HM5 much better than any other setting out there.

Alnag

First Post
Mark Plemmons said:
if you want to play the new Kalamar using D&D4e, go for it!
And BTW, our plan is to make HM5 much better than D&D4 and Kalamar for HM5 much better than any other setting out there.

I guess it will not be very hard to make HM5 better than something, that does not exist... or should I understand that in that way, that you know something about D&D 4e?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Mark Plemmons said:
Absolutely. The Kingdoms of Kalamar setting will continue!

HM5 will be set in Kalamar as its default and we will not support other settings with material written by us.

I'm disappointed to read this.

Mark Plemmons said:
if you play HM5 *in* Kalamar, you'll be most richly rewarded as 100% of every product will make you titter with delight.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. What do you mean by "100% of every product"? Will Kalamar products in general change tone to reflect HackMaster's sensibilities?

I'm willing to give it all chance. In the meantime, could you explain why Kalamar is a good fit for HackMaster? Please try to be specific. What elements of Kalamar made the HM design team say that setting was perfect for HackMaster?

And will Greyhack ever see the light of day? I'm guessing not, now that the license with WotC has expired.

theemrys

First Post
DonTadow said:
This makes a heck of a lot of sense to me. Kobolds are a lizard race and there are hundreds of lizard species that reproduce this way. I wish more races were different in these ways as it makes them more than just a few stat adjustments.

Let me say that the Gnomes and Kobolds book is one of my favourites by K&CO and that's saying a lot! I loved the treatment Kobolds got and I thought it really fleshed things out. As a DM I loved having the cultural background and such and I really love the idea of the party "making mistakes" by thinking that other cultures are similar to them... for example kobolds don't use a base 10 number system...

As for the part of gnomes, I was a convert to loving gnomes a bit before that book came out (used to hate them) and this book was great for fleshing out culture, especially given that it's one of the few core races that don't have roots in Tolkin, etc.

Now, back on topic... as much as I've been enjoying the 3.X line I'm excited to try HackMaster, but all that has to wait until I start running Aces & Eights... just got my book and my players are hopefully going to get a trial run of it this weekend!!!!

Remove ads