• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards of the Coast/Kenzer & Company License Agreements Expiring

boerngrim

Explorer
Hey Jolly I really liked Strenght and Honor: The Hobgoblins of Tellene! It presented Hobgoblins they way I've always imagined a militaristic, ordered evil society would be!
Thanks.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
Hey Jolly,

Are the old HM books still going to be available through print-on-demand? How about .pdf? Or will the ending of this license prevent you from continuing to sell material made under that license after a certain point in time?

In any case, I think this will be good for you (and the gamers) in the long run. Goodman Games has been able to produce 1st-edition "clone" adventures without a license, as has Necromancer and Troll Lord.

Maybe we'll see you guys using OSRIC-style open rules or FUDGE? :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Belen said:
Eh...Kalamar is a very boring setting with little to offer over the mainline D&D settings. The Kalamar CS was the first and last thing I ever purchased for Kalamar. The fact that they were forcing me to purchase the setting and a player's guide sucked donkey nuts. I want my rules bundled with the book rather than we forced to consult two books to make it useful.
So if you don't like it, what in the world are you doing in this thread besides peeing in other peoples' cornflakes? There are lots of other threads that aren't talking about the good parts of Kalamar for you to post in. Please don't threadjack this one.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
w_earle_wheeler said:
Hey Jolly,

Are the old HM books still going to be available through print-on-demand? How about .pdf? Or will the ending of this license prevent you from continuing to sell material made under that license after a certain point in time?

In any case, I think this will be good for you (and the gamers) in the long run. Goodman Games has been able to produce 1st-edition "clone" adventures without a license, as has Necromancer and Troll Lord.

Maybe we'll see you guys using OSRIC-style open rules or FUDGE? :)

FUDGE no, but OSRIC, yes, I hope. That is, I think HM's entire identity is closely tied to the AD&D system. I'd like to see it continue to be so. Otherwise the point of the game's existence is essentially lost. Perhaps using OSRIC would help alleviate another problem, the one concerning those who began bashing HM because it wasn't just a reprint of AD&D, or who refuse to give it a chance because they "already have the AD&D books." Using OSRIC, they could more clearly differentiate HM from AD&D by tweaking/altering the rules, making the game even more unique.

A rules-light version of HM, counterpart to Basic D&D (or even maybe OD&D), would be desirable, though, as a companion or intro to "Advanced HackMaster."

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
A rules-light version of HM, counterpart to Basic D&D (or even maybe OD&D), would be desirable, though, as a companion or intro to "Advanced HackMaster."

I would love to see a rules-light or quickstart version of Hackmaster to use to introduce new players to it.

bolen

First Post
I for one was a Kalamar fan, I always thought it was a more logical version of the forgotten realms. My only issue was I could never pronounce the names? I had a great time in this world however

bolen

First Post
Timmundo said:
I'll add that I am glad to hear that Kenzerco has a plan - and am awaiting Hackmaster 5th Edition (with some KoK goodness) :D
How can they publish Hackmaster if they loose the license to D&D. Isn't it very close

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
ColonelHardisson said:
Ooh, calling the new version "Advanced HackMaster" would be very, very cool.

Remove ads