• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

workshop a week?(current workshop-EXOTIC WEAPON PROFICIENCY)

alsih2o

First Post
i had a lot of trouble with "feral". i came up with a whole story about neglected mother-in-laws left to go wild. it was sad.

here is a drawing of a ranger based on robin coming over a wall to take out one of the morbidly obese nearly toothless mothers-in-law...not finished, nothing ever is :)

Attachments

• feral.JPG
    feral.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 225

Oni

First Post
Wow, wednesday rolls around fast when you're on vacation and not paying any attention to the time. And all the more shame on me for not being all the way done, me being on break. No finished piece this time, just a WIP since I don't want to rush this one. In fact not being all the way done I thought this would be a fine and hopefully interesting time to take a peek at part of the process I go though.

Feral was a very different situation than the last one. Instead of a multitude of ideas I had a singular vision of what I wanted to do from almost the very second I read this past week's word. This has so far been a very challenging piece, not in coming up with what to do, but in correctly executing what I wanted. Getting the pose to look right was troublesome with out having someone around to model it for me, and a lack of any decent kind of photo reference (these things are your friends if you want to create strong and believable pictures).

First came a few pages of doodles and quasi thumbnails, trying to get the basics of individual parts of what I wanted to do, mostly the face, but they mostly look like my pencil puked on the page. I'll not post that though, as there isn't any reason to waste message board space doing so and the only real lesson to be learned is that my pictures have humble beginnings.

Next came the rough, I find doing a rough drawing or two before getting on to the finished piece can really help, it lets me know what kind of problems I'm likely to run into so that I can solve them (hopefully) before starting on the final piece (this can often save a lot of time in the long run). This is the stage where the composition really comes into focus from the rather bleary and vague vision of the thumbnails and where I often try to tackle the basics of lighting. Anyway, here's the rough.

Attachments

• feralrough.jpg
    feralrough.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 216

Oni

First Post
After the rough came the line art. I'm using the same materials and technique that I used for the previous piece, airborne, so this line art will likely get a tea wash tomorrow and then I'll be painting directly over top of it. I'm pretty happy with things as they are, so unless I wake up tomorrow with an urge to change things, this is the finished linework. Some people might like the line work a little cleaner, but I prefer a little sketchier look, and the colours will cover up some of those errant lines as well. Keep in mind, because of the way I plan on doing the colours, I can't drop in the shadows in the linework or I'll make a mess. My lines are done in brown col-erase pencil on 140lb cold press water colour paper. I've tried using brown ink in the past instead of the pencil, but have had problems with the supposedly waterproof ink running, the brown pencil doesn't do that (and col-erase pencils unlike most colour pencils are not wax based so they don't repel watercolour). Anyway, here is the line art, please excuse the little bit of funny colouration, this scanner doesn't like me so much.

Attachments

• feralline.jpg
    feralline.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 209

Oni

First Post
Was busy this week so nothing too grand, just a sketch.

I'm not all that happy with this one, but it is wednesday (for another 20 minutes or so here) and it's due so here it is.

Attachments

• backtoback.jpg
    backtoback.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 188

alsih2o

First Post
Oni said:
Oh and since a new workshop has not yet been posted, may I suggested SHADOWS for this week.

shadows is posted!

sorry for the no-show from em this week, but it IS the week before x-mas and i AM a potter :)

Remove ads