• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

workshop a week?(current workshop-EXOTIC WEAPON PROFICIENCY)

pogre

Legend
alsih2o said:
do not be afraid to add a wee bot more shading, but it is a really nice idea and execution.

My shading seems so muddy - you know what I mean? It does not seem to add depth like it should. I bought some color pencils - so I may try incorporating some color for this next project. Color may be a bit easier for me than black and white shading.

Last edited:

alsih2o

First Post
pogre said:
My shading seems so muddy - you know what I mean? It does not seem to add depth like it should. I bought some color pencils - so I may try incorporating some color for this next project. Color may be a bit easier for me than black and white shading.

have you tried moving your high and low contrast pints closer together?

are you remmebering to use core shadows and depth?

b+w is a (expletive deleted) sometimes, but it is worth it when you find your way :)

but, that said, go color!

pogre

Legend
alsih2o said:
have you tried moving your high and low contrast pints closer together?

??? contrast points? How about talking down to me here?

alsih2o said:
are you remmebering to use core shadows and depth?
Undoubtedly no, especially as I have no idea what core shadows are!

alsih2o said:
b+w is a (expletive deleted) sometimes, but it is worth it when you find your way :)

but, that said, go color!

Oh I won't give up at all, I just want to try these new color pencils ;)

Thanks for your help - I apologize for my lack of art knowledge.

Last edited:

...argh. Having trouble with the scanner here. May take a while to get my own "jagged" Dragon Warrior up. I'll get it up when I can...hopefully won't be longer than a couple of days or so...

pogre

Legend
O.K., this is my WIP ;)
The idea is a fairie or sprite trying to escape a dire bullfrog. I'm approaching the splashing water with some trepidation. It's a good thing there is no school tomorrow.

Ignore the leg to the right of the sprite - it was my first attempt at a frog.

Attachments

• frog_wip_01.jpg
    frog_wip_01.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 185

pogre

Legend
Alright, I finished with this week's assignment. It was my first real try with colored pencils. There is a lot I like about them, but I'm on the low end of the learning curve yet. Now I'm off to do something I have confidence in - my miniature painting.

Attachments

• web_frog.jpg
    web_frog.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 178

James Heard

Explorer
Tossing in some jagged

Ok, decided to throw in a jagged image. Not in any book, I just decided to make a monster for my "I'll get around to it one day" jungle campaign. The theme was lots of lizard teeth and I started with blocking in the tongue, sword and what eventually became the weirdly jointed clawed hand. Done entirely in Photoshop with my Wacom tablet in about 3 hours, about 36 layers before I mashed them. Hardest thing to do with the image was deciding to white line the entire figure against every art instinct I have, but I did the jungle background a little too well and the whole point of the picture was vanishing into the undergrowth. I'd have liked to have done something more spectacular than a plain blade, but I'd like to go to bed sometime tonight too.

Attachments

• Caralack-High-Priest.jpg
    Caralack-High-Priest.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Remove ads