• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst Race?

Which is thw worst of the PHB races

• Dragonborn

Votes: 34 10.0%
  • Dwarves

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Eldarin

Votes: 28 8.3%
  • Elf

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 146 43.1%
  • Halfling

Votes: 33 9.7%
  • Human

Votes: 12 3.5%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 73 21.5%

Spatula

Explorer
arcady said:
Where do you get that from? I read it the other way - on prereqs for feats it says that if you ever lose the prereq you can't use the feat anymore.

Is there something that says a class that gets it can use it even without the prereq? I'd be very interested in finding that.
You don't need any particular ability score to wear armor. You need certain ability scores to take feats that give you armor proficiencies. If your class gives you those proficienies to begin with, then you don't need anything. Think of the 3e ranger who got his or her "combat style" feats regardless of whether or not the ranger met the prereqs.

Also, there is no ability score damage, and thus no way to lose that particular prereq for the armor feats.

At some point I saw some links to some basic FAQs for the new books, which answered this same question... But I cannot for the life of me re-locate those pages on wizard's site.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Humans and dwarves have a lot of things going for them, despite the lack of sweet extra powers.

Elves, eladrin, dragonborn and halflings have those sweet powers.

Tieflings and half-elves seem to be the only races that don't have an exciting racial power but also don't have enough other bonuses to make up for that lack. Between the two, I said that tieflings were worse, since I can at least imagine a half-elf warlock or paladin or possible cleric; I can't think of a single class that I'd want to play as a tiefling above the other options. (I'd rather be a halfling or elf if I was a rogue, etc.)

EDIT: Also, there are some at-will powers that'd be nice cross-class, even as encounter powers. Eyebite, Thunderwave, and to a lesser extent Deft Strike, Hit and Run and Reaping Strike can all save your bacon. Personally, I think a cleric with Eyebite is almost worth the other weaknesses of the race.

Last edited:

Eldorian

First Post
ZombieRoboNinja said:
I can't think of a single class that I'd want to play as a tiefling above the other options. (I'd rather be a halfling or elf if I was a rogue, etc.)

Paladin. Look at it closer. It's actually kinda funny how good they are as a cha based defender.

Satori

First Post
My gut instinct for the Tiefling was the same as everyone else.

"Ugh...such a cool race, but so lacking in crunch."

I played one anyway (because that's how I role), and I was pleasantly surprised with my Tiefling Warlock.

For one, I was able to minimize Charisma (Infernal Pact) without killing my social skills (Streetwise, Bluff, Intimidate), max Constitution, and keep Intelligence at 14 (16). This freed up a number of points for Strength (I have a vision of a Plate wearing Warlock...).

The Fire Resistance didn't come into play...but Fire tends to be a REALLY common damage type (in general, at least), so I have a feeling I'll really appreciate that scaling resistance down the road.

What I REALLY loved was the +1 Hit vs Bloodied Foes. Combine this with the Hellfire Blood racial feat (+1 Hit/Dmg with Fire/Fear) and Prime Shot and I had a pleasantly high To Hit score when doing what Warlocks do best...

...namely, killing off weak and dying foes!

It became sort of a table joke that my sole purpose was to mercy kill all the stragglers...except that we found out the hard way that a "Bloodied" foe is still just as dangerous as a full health enemy.

The only ability I forgot to use was the Racial Power (Something "Wrath")...which was my own fault and caused by my constant stumbling over the new rules. Had I used it effectively, though, that would be ANOTHER bonus to Hit.

I see the Tiefling as a very capable character when used appropriately.

silentounce

First Post
Satori said:
My gut instinct for the Tiefling was the same as everyone else.

"Ugh...such a cool race, but so lacking in crunch."

I believe you're using a definition of the word "everyone" that I'm not quite familiar with.

Satori

First Post
silentounce said:
I believe you're using a definition of the word "everyone" that I'm not quite familiar with.

420kitten.jpg

Oh, you're being sarcastic.

Right.

Umm...by "everyone", I'm talking about the 100+ people who voted Tiefling as the worst race mechanically, putting it just behind the Half-Elf.

Instead of "everyone", I probably should have said, "...the same as all 100+ people who voted Tiefling as the worst race mechanically, thus showing a largely dominant trend in the current message board belief system regarding the viability of the Tiefling species."

;)

As an aside, it dawned on me how GOOD those bonuses to Hit are.

+1 vs Bloodied Foes
+1 Racial Feat
+1 Racial Encounter Power
---
+3 Total

That's equivalent to a +6 bonus to the appropriate stat!

For players who want to eek out that last bonus to Hit, the Tiefling might very well be a solid choice.

silentounce

First Post
Satori said:
Umm...by "everyone", I'm talking about the 100+ people who voted Tiefling as the worst race mechanically, putting it just behind the Half-Elf.

Instead of "everyone", I probably should have said, "...the same as all 100+ people who voted Tiefling as the worst race mechanically, thus showing a largely dominant trend in the current message board belief system regarding the viability of the Tiefling species."

So when people clicked on tiefling in the Worst Race poll what they were really trying to say was, Tieflings are "such a cool race"? That's what you're reading into it.
If we're going to get into what you probably should have said, how about this, "the 100+ people who voted Tiefling as the worst race mechanically shows that a largely dominant trend in the current message board belief system is that Tiefling is the worst race mechanically, and this does not imply in the least anything about whether or not said people think that Tieflings are such a cool race."

And, by the way, this poll didn't specify mechanically when I voted. All it said was "worst race" and please tell us why with a comment. The OP didn't make that change until it had already been up for 60 hours. So, those votes up there are a mixed bag.

Last edited:

Remove ads