• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[WoT] How's it doing?

I was wandering around in my local Wizards of the Coast store earlier today because I had heard of some big discounts on certain game products they were offering. Unfortunately, nothing I was interested in (or didn't already have) was on sale, but one thing that caught my eye and was a bit distressing was that both Star Wars and the Wheel of Time were 50% off! Now, the Star Wars I can understand. They want to exhaust the pipeline before the revised book comes out here in another month or two. But what's going on with the Wheel of Time game? Is that not selling well and they are killing the support of it?

I sincerely hope not. I'd never be likely to game in Randland, or whatever that world is called, but I've stolen ideas like crazy from that game for my D&D campaigns that I've devised, including importing some classes whole-cloth.

Lazarus Long

First Post
There was only goingt o be two books in the series: the rules (already out), and a campaign book. nothing more :(

They might just be clearing space for the next (and last) book.

Eben

First Post
Maybe it's to get people started with WoT now that Prophesies of the Dragon is comming. And as to more books: the novels are great source material and there's a book on the series: Robert Jordan's world of the Wheel of Time.
I feel it's a great setting and a great game that deserves more support.

Jeremy Crawford

First Post
It wouldn't surprise me if the game were doing poorly, I'm sorry to say. While I think the book is visually appealing and the game has promise, significant portions of text are missing in the book, and there are typos and errors throughout.

On numerous occasions in my group's Wheel of Time campaign, we've resorted to the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide for rules clarifications, and we've had to turn to other sources for basic world details, like the calendar. In our minds, the WoT book succeeds neither as a rule book nor as a world book.

Perhaps the book is best as a collection of elements that can be used in D&D?

Last edited:

I'm currently playing two wheel of time games, one here at in character and one with my gaming group. The message board game is undoubtly the one if not the best game i've everplayed in and the live game is the best we've had in months.

I have yet to see any problems with the rules, I really hope that wizards ends up supporting the line further.

Jeremy Crawford

First Post
It's good to hear your WoT games have been fun, Sir Osis. The one I've been playing in has been fun, too.

My group, nonetheless, thinks the WoT book is disappointing as a book, but as resourceful gamers, we've been able to get what we need from it, and other sources, and have a good time.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Jeremy Crawford said:
It wouldn't surprise me if the game were doing poorly, I'm sorry to say. While I think the book is visually appealing and the game has promise, significant portions of text are missing in the book, and there are typos and errors throughout.

On numerous occasions in my group's Wheel of Time campaign, we've resorted to the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide for rules clarifications, and we've had to turn to other sources for basic world details, like the calendar. In our minds, the WoT book succeeds neither as a rule book nor as a world book.

Perhaps the book is best as a collection of elements that can be used in D&D?

I've just started reading the WoT novels, and I thought I might pick up the game book after I finished the first 4 or 5 books. I was wondering if you would mind being more specific about the book's problems — are they limited just to poor editing (missing text, typos, errors) or are there fundamental problems with the execution of the subject and ideas? I see what you mean about the calendar, but I was wondering what else there is that's missing.

Thanks,
tKL

Bryarr

First Post
Basically, WotC printed too many copies. I work at a WotC retail store, and even though the book was in high demand, we got a LOT of copies. I think they are just trying to clear out all the overstock.
Interstingly enough, the Living Greyhawk Gazatteer, the Greyhawk Gazatteer (the skinny one), the Hero Builders Guidebook, and Enemies and Allies are also 50% off. Oh yeah, and the Creature Collections from S&S. Among a lot of other stuff. Its a pretty cool sale.
I must have dumped half my paycheck the day I got it during that first week.

Bryarr

Florin

First Post
Well, the WotC store I went to, didn't have any RPG stuff on sale. Of course, there is another one relatively close by that does, so I'm thinking that the one with all of the stuff on sale may be going out of business or consolidating with the one that didn't have anything on sale.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads