WotBS - Scouring of Gate Pass

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The group heads back into the chill night air. And as the first day of the year moves on, it seems to be getting a little colder. The head east and exit the district that houses the depository. Barrik in the lead, and Shade once again bringing up the rear.

"The mage school is in the next district. We can... " Torrent starts to say but is cut off as a screeching and roaring fill the air.

The party sees two flying shapes — one with feathered wings, the other with bat wings — cross paths overhead, and a loud crack sounds out. The bat-winged shape spirals out of control and crashes onto the roof of a building further down the street with a death groan. A moment later, the shattered lance of a Gate Pass griffon rider falls out of the sky...

The slush that covered the streets during the day, has started to ice over in the early morning chill so the party is unable to move to quickly to the building. Almost four minutes later they stand before the building and an ominous sight. A wyvern lies sprawled across the roof the rest of the lance protruding from it's neck and a rope leading from the roof top to the ground.

Looking about the party easily finds fresh bloodstains and boot prints leading off down a dark alley. Torrent sighs, "We can't leave an enemy warrior wondering about, but it may take time to track him down."

Shade looks down the alley and the says to the her. "I'll go. This shouldn't be to hard, he is wounded and the dark is probably not his element. I will meet you at the school."

Torrent looks dubious a moment but then nods, "Be careful if we aren't at the school look for us at the Order of the Aquiline Cross. It is a temple not far from the school in the same district, we may have to hole up there tonight."

Shade nods and then disappears into the shadows of the alley. "Good luck." Torrent says towards the alley mouth.

[sblock=OOC] Don't know what is up with Vertexx69 (probably that nasty thing people call Real Life) but this is right up Shade's alley so will give it to her to do then have Shade join back when Vertexx69 has time to play. [/sblock]

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
It is not much trouble to get through the gates as it seems the whole city is fleeing east away from Ragesian. The irony in this is that the Shahalesti lands lie beyond the east gate and it seems they to have an interest in Gate Pass.

Nearing Gabal's School of War the group can see some damage from a bomb on one of the four towers that make up most of the school's compound. Gabal’s school consists of a small campus with four 50-ft. towers and several smaller buildings, surrounded by a moat and an iron fence. It is mockingly called The Castle by those living in Gate Pass.

One of the towers has a rent down it's side and scorch marks from being on fire. As everyone steps onto the bridge that leads across tha moat they notice a griffon floating in the stagnat waters and a man leaning against the entrance way smoking a long stemmed pipe.

"More visitors? On this night of all nights." he says with a sarcastic grin. He shrugs, "Ah well, A Happy New Year to all of you."

Attachments

• Diogenes.jpg
    Diogenes.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Songdragon

Explorer
The dwarven lass looks to the figure, "And to you. A new year is upon us." Shurgs, "With some most dire of circumstances. A shame, the hopes and wishes of so many dashed. Perhaps one day, a simple wish of peace, will come to Gate Pass." She steps within the compound and moves about for the others to enter as well. She peers about in the darkness, to be sure that there is no trouble.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Aaron follows quickly, knowing time is of the essence. He keeps his guard up, and his wits about him as he readies to aid anyone needing it. Otherwise, he keeps with the group, now bringing up the rear, since Shade had left to track down a wounded enemy troop...

Dragonwriter

First Post
Barrik's eyebrow rises at the man's greeting. "Visitors? I take it others have been here? You didn't happen to see a gnome or an elf carrying a case, did you? Perhaps accompanied by other elves?" As he finishes his question, he mutters the words to a spell in Orcish and looks over the man.

[sblock=OOC]
Using Detect Magic cantrip, thanks to its unlimited use. Maybe here I'll finally get the time to summon my eidolon. :p
[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
Fantalass

Fantalass waits with Barrik for the man's answer.

[sblock=OOC]

Active: Mage armor (9 min)

---

Fantalass
AC 11 (T11, FF10), HP 5/5, F +0,R+1,W+3
2 subdual damage

Acid Dart: 5/6 (+2, 1d6+1) (includes Point Blank bonus)

Prepared Spells:
DC = 10 + spell level + 3
Cantrips- 3, 1st- 2+1
0: Detect Magic, Message, Read Magic
1: Mage Armor - Color Spray, Feather Fall

Effects:

XP: 0

Caty: AC 15 (T14, FF13), HP 2/2, F +2,R+2,W+3 (Imp. Evasion)

[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Elves? Case?" the blue robed mage looks a little bewildered for a moment. "There has only been one elf come to visit and he arrived only ten, maybe fifteen, minutes ago."

He looks over the group with more cautiously taking in thier weapons and grim looks. "Aha, well now that may explain his hurry. Chasing him are you then. Well you are in luck. Since he is here to see Shealis, and she and I are not friends by any means, you will find the only elves here at the school there." he finishes pointing to the northern most tower.

"Thanks wizard," Torrent says leading the others towards the tower. Once the group reaches the door she asks. "Should we leave someone behind to cut of their escape this time?"

[sblock=OOC] Current group is everyone minus Shade plus Rivereye.

And sorry WD your mage armor ran out on the way to the school. [/sblock]

Songdragon

Explorer
The dwarf looks to Torrent, "Unless you are volunteering?" she smiles, "I do not think we have the folk to spare versus these two spellcasters."

She looks to the others, "Everyone ready?"

((Dragonwriter: If it takes a minute to summon your eidolon, Barrick needs to speak up and say something. Since we think him hired muscle, we do not know he needs time to do that... Marda would wait for you... ))

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Aaron knows he would better be suited for the group, instead of sitting back to cut off the escape route. Nodding at the dwarven ally, he turns to the others. "I am heading up there to take care of the spellcasters."

Dragonwriter

First Post
Barrik nods to the man, smiling slightly. "Thank you, sir." The half-orc takes a few steps, then pauses for a moment, obviously considering the possibility of a blocker. "Like the dwarf said, doesn't seem like we can spare anyone. We might be able to talk them down, but I doubt it. I think the human man and I should go in first, followed by the women, then the elf. Gives us a chance to rush and disable the casters and have plenty of support. I might be able to call up another dog... Or a stronger one, if I can have a bit longer. Only trouble is, I'm not sure if we want to give them more time."

[sblock=OOC]
Any result from my Detect Magic, HM?

And Songdragon, Barrik is trying to keep a few things closer to the vest. And things have been a bit rushed. Didn't seem feasible for a minute-long summoning.
[/sblock]

Remove ads