• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC 2006 January through April releases

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Well, you can have High Level without being Epic. Not only that, but WotC usually puts "Epic" in the information when they actually mean "Epic" like they did with Players Guide to Faerun.

Well, as you put that way, the term high adventure, by me, is slide into the catergory of epic. But that is just me. I have never been a fan of Epic, since I read...scanned that book that very day. And till this day, my feeling is still the same and will not change, that Epic placement has no place in D&D as a mechanic, as a background runner for story telling, yes...but not as a mechanic.

Back to the main theme of the thread...

Arnwyn

First Post
Power of Faerun
Ed Greenwood and Eric L. Boyd
A new guidebook for high-level play in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting.
Power of Faerun is a comprehensive guidebook to playing high-level heroes and running high-level campaigns in the Forgotten Realms. This supplement introduces new options to players and Dungeon Masters as well as guidelines for startig a temple, running a guild, leading an army, serving the crown, and participating in political intrigues.
This sounds absolutely wicked. While I care little for character-based supplements these days (I only care about adventures and other location-based books), more high-level support always gets the thumbs-up from me, especially when it's in my preferred/long-running campaign setting.

And another adventure (128 pages, no less)? Sold!

Mercule

Adventurer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Something about Power of Faerun is bothering me...everyone keeps saying "Epic" this and "Epic" that but it doesn't once say "Epic" in the description. Wouldn't WotC actually SAY "Epic" instead of "High Level" if that's what they meant? I mean, there is a different between the two.

Actually, that is what may get me to check out this book, and I'm about as anti-Realms as one can get.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Aaron L said:
Well, looks like I was wrong. Shouldn't be suprised.

But it was a very good guess... :D

I'm still getting the same books as before in the other thread... (I don't do miniatures or adventures so basically everything else.)

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Crimson_Manticore said:
Perhaps it is only because the concept of a D&D rulebook written by a female cast is an unproven one to me. I know lots of male authors who can do good RPG writing, but I don’t recall any good RPG books written by only women. Perhaps this will be the first.

Allow me to be clear, my D&D group has 3 female players and I find they add a LOT to the group, so I have no problem with women and RPGs. I simply cannot recall a good crunch book written by a women-only staff. Add that to the fact that I am one of those “Kobolds rule” type of guys, and the fact that I still think half-dragons are cool, and it just equals a slight nervousness that these fine female writers may take this excellent opportunity for an awesome book in a direction that I may find disappointing.

It is simply a mild concern and nothing more. It may well turn out to be the best and most exciting book on kobolds and half-dragons ever, and then I will have taken my first step toward trusting female authors to write cool RPG books that us guys can enjoy too.

So noted...

Timeboxer

Explorer
Mercule said:
And I'm going to start chopping off fingers if they put in Draconic feats geared toward sorcerers -- the rumor of draconic heritage in sorcerers was cool, making it canon steals all the alure.

I take it you didn't so much like the Dragon Disciple, then?

Timeboxer

Explorer
Crimson_Manticore said:
It is simply a mild concern and nothing more. It may well turn out to be the best and most exciting book on kobolds and half-dragons ever, and then I will have taken my first step toward trusting female authors to write cool RPG books that us guys can enjoy too.

Please allow me to be somewhat put off by the premises inherent in this suspicion. Thank you.

I suspect that people would somehow feel "better" about it if it were written by G.F.M. Kestrel, J.C. Wilkes, and K.R. Liquette, so I recommend that you think of it that way until such time as the book comes out.

Crimson_Manticore said:
Perhaps it is only because the concept of a D&D rulebook written by a female cast is an unproven one to me. I know lots of male authors who can do good RPG writing, but I don’t recall any good RPG books written by only women. Perhaps this will be the first.

For the record, Kolja is male. Ms. Kestrel and Ms. Clarke-Wilkes are obviously not.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads